StonedAF

commander?

the commander is an actual character who goes in the field with others correct? thats really cool if so

No idea, could be that it doesn't require you to spawn in, but just take the kit and gives you access to a special map screen.

Or if they go for the Post Scriptum model, sit at main base or a command vehicle.

Edited by oTec

A command vehicle would be nice. It should be possible to take out the commander and his vehicle and that way deny the enemies the benefits of a commander for some time before the vehicle respawns.

Yes commander will be a player model in game world just like the rest of players

2 hours ago, fuzzhead said:

Yes commander will be a player model in game world just like the rest of players

So i take that killing the commander will have plenty of benefits? Also for stuff like UAV and CAS, does the commander need to be close-ish to the action?

On 2/5/2019 at 3:41 AM, Pluto is a planet said:

A command vehicle would be nice. It should be possible to take out the commander and his vehicle and that way deny the enemies the benefits of a commander for some time before the vehicle respawns.

That kinda reminds me...

http://stratego.wikia.com/wiki/Marshal

On 5.2.2019 at 12:41 PM, Pluto is a planet said:

i hope not. Even more lonewolfes running around behind enemy lines thinking they are "special" forces, trying to kill the commander.

for gameplay an intelligence division + vehicle/asset would be so much better than a powerless commander + vehicle/asset  (powerless as in no authority rather than the asset capability which could be identical)

A very simple but very important distinction which will effect the lives of those we love and hate.

Regardless of how the Commander role is implemented I can tell already its going to add an incredible new dimension to the game. Hopefully the role will actually have some teeth to it with some kind of special abilities compared to how the same named role in I:S and RS2:V where the role simply functions as an Airstrike nanny.

Could even have a gamemode surrounding the commander. Basically find the enemy commander and kill him, no respawns would make it a quick match compared to AAS, and main base of both teams would open up after like 5 minutes forcing both commanders out.

Yes Commander will have some special functions. He can choose different ways how to play.

COSupport action requirements are not finalized but tenatively you will need to build command tent and be inside it in order to use  things like UAV, Airstrikes, Artillery, etc.

CO will be worth 5 tickets upon dying.

Who can be a commander who chooses one?

I hate to be a negative one but what if commander is a ret..d.We already have them playing as SL-s or using tanks in a kids way?

This is exactly the reason this capability should be NAMED "intel" rather than "command". Ranked lower than SL because they have no "command" power anyway.

eg

C: "Squad 1 fall back to defence"

SL: "No"

C: "Squad 3 flank north side of flag"

SL: "That is a bad idea, no"

SL: "commander can we please have supplies to the defence flag"

C: "Ill ask the logi squad"

Logi SL: "no"

-------

Intel: "Squad 1 we can see that defence is going to be outnumbered and overrun in a few mins"

SL1: "OK thanks" [makes own plan]

Intel: "Squad 3 the north side of the flag appears empty of enemies"

SL3: "OK thanks" [makes own plan]

The diference is so minor but the effect on the game and the players is huge. Information is valuable, orders are annoying.

46 minutes ago, suds said:

This is exactly the reason this capability should be NAMED "intel" rather than "command". Ranked lower than SL because they have no "command" power anyway.

eg

but the commander isn't only providing intel?

what if there was a command squad that had 3 roles, intel, fire support and squad support (air dropping vehicles/supplies)

Must admit, it will be personal mission to stab the enemy commander. Or blow up his command bunker. Does that make me strange whaaaaahhh!

On 2/5/2019 at 3:36 AM, oTec said:

No idea, could be that it doesn't require you to spawn in, but just take the kit and gives you access to a special map screen.

Or if they go for the Post Scriptum model, sit at main base or a command vehicle.

Actually, they just need to be near a radio. So, at main, command vic, FOB, or Squad level radioman. At least in PS, the Platoon Leader is often roaming about on the edges of the fight, since without a UAV, it's helpful to be able to see to call in off map support. The best PLs aren't sitting at a radio all match, which I hope in the case of Squad, there's also enough flexibility to be out in the field. 

On 2/13/2019 at 7:32 AM, suds said:

eg

I've always envisioned the CO as a combination of the S3 and S4. Overseeing the entire operation and helping it run smoothly.

The first example you give are tactical decisions and the CO should NOT ever give tactical orders. The CO lacks the information the SL has. However, providing operational commands should certainly be allowed. If a flag is vulnerable the CO is more likely to see that and see which squad is either closest or most mobile to respond. The idea of the CO is to be the big picture guy while the SLs handle their immediate worlds.

The second example is how it should work but just shows the other SL being a prick. The defending SL could have asked the Logi SL and received the same reply. That doesn't discount the commander or that role of enabling communications. In PR games with good commanders I've really felt the effect of having them handle the comms. It's handy for a SL to place his request and get back to commanding his squad instead of having to handle talking to other SLs.

On 2/13/2019 at 5:08 AM, Bahrein said:

Who can be a commander who chooses one?

I hate to be a negative one but what if commander is a ret..d.We already have them playing as SL-s or using tanks in a kids way?

SL applies to be Commander and there is a vote amougst SLs (min req 2 in squad at time of vote in order to cast a vote)

If CO is bad he can also be voted out.