Gatzby

January 2019 Recap

1 minute ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

obviously insurgency is a different game, it's still not an excuse

how many years does it have to take for you people to say enough? you still teleport when getting revived ffs

Squad is an ambitious game, it's quite complex in the grand scale of things - So of course it's going to take longer, especially when you consider development team and budget scale into the equation, compared to AAA companies. OWI is doing fine, a few wonky patches here and there, but they're still here working on the game. Unlike 1000's of other early access games that are abandoned 6 months into the development, or are in a complete broken state for years.

Also, IIRC - Rag-doll physics are being reworked, meaning revive teleporting and jiggling bodies will be a thing of the past. I think the issue is, you're expecting Squad to play and function as a complete game, when it's not. Maybe take a break and come back to Squad when it's further a long in it's development.

If you're not going to make any attempt to reasonably consider legitimate points made, and just say any point counter to what you say is rampant fanboyism, you're not really having a conversion or being rational. Just stating something is 'not an excuse' without bothering with the facts  that clearly are at least relevant to considerations makes you look like someone without any objectivity or critical thinking ability whatsoever. 

No FCS and thermal sight for armored vehicle while mobility kill feature introduced.

Could we get them if infantry got real heavy AT weapons?

6 hours ago, Dubs said:

Squad is an ambitious game, it's quite complex in the grand scale of things - So of course it's going to take longer, especially when you consider development team and budget scale into the equation, compared to AAA companies. OWI is doing fine, a few wonky patches here and there, but they're still here working on the game. Unlike 1000's of other early access games that are abandoned 6 months into the development, or are in a complete broken state for years.

Also, IIRC - Rag-doll physics are being reworked, meaning revive teleporting and jiggling bodies will be a thing of the past. I think the issue is, you're expecting Squad to play and function as a complete game, when it's not. Maybe take a break and come back to Squad when it's further a long in it's development.

What about a weapon resting/stablisation system like red orchestra does ...Do you have any info about an implementation of this feature ?

1 hour ago, selecto said:

What about a weapon resting/stablisation system like red orchestra does ...Do you have any info about an implementation of this feature ?

A quote from Fuzzhead(Game designer) from the AMA on reddit held recently.

"Weapon resting is a complicated system that is not currently in the pipeline, its not due to us not wanting the feature though. At some later time we may decide to revisit its implementation but as of right now we are not actively developing a system for weapon resting. At this time we cannot use the current system for bipods, as that system relies on a button press for setting the bipod, which is very economical way to implement in regards to the cost to the server tick. A weapon resting system we would need to be more passive and always doing these checks for appropriate rest, which would be alot more expensive to the server tick, and not practical in the current implementation."

Here's the reddit thread, where developers recently answered a lot of questions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/amso6y/psa_squad_developers_will_be_doing_an_ama_right/

54 minutes ago, Dubs said:

A quote from Fuzzhead(Game designer) from the AMA on reddit held recently.

"Weapon resting is a complicated system that is not currently in the pipeline, its not due to us not wanting the feature though. At some later time we may decide to revisit its implementation but as of right now we are not actively developing a system for weapon resting. At this time we cannot use the current system for bipods, as that system relies on a button press for setting the bipod, which is very economical way to implement in regards to the cost to the server tick. A weapon resting system we would need to be more passive and always doing these checks for appropriate rest, which would be alot more expensive to the server tick, and not practical in the current implementation."

Here's the reddit thread, where developers recently answered a lot of questions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/amso6y/psa_squad_developers_will_be_doing_an_ama_right/

Thx Dubs ! So it's a "Maybe in the future".

On 15/02/2019 at 6:04 PM, Dubs said:

I know it's not a complete game, that much is clear

it's been 3 years and we only just got tanks, there's no roadmap at all, planned content has been abandoned, game modes have been abandoned, weapon resting has been abandoned (stated reason: it's too hard lol), there is still no attachment system, we have no idea when the finished game is actually releasing if ever and to top it all off they're charging more than insurgency sandstorm and rising storm 2 but hey at least it's not dayz right?

maybe I should come back in 3 years, I'm sure at that point they will start teasing untextured helicopter models and will have redesigned the UI a few more times

I honestly do wonder - for all your suggestion that anyone with what I personally feel is a more grounded and balanced viewpoint than you - that you are unrelentingly hostile and ignorant of all the discussion that's been raised. It's like a religious zealot, for who evidence, facts and so on have no bearing, because belief takes all precedent. Do you even like the game? I'm being serious. Maybe you should come back in three years, yeah, or not at all if you really find it so horribly offensive in its current iteration, and I'm not being mean in saying that - it just seems that you really aren't happy with it, so I'm not sure why you engage. Maybe you'd be happier as a person if you played Katamari Damacy for a bit instead.

50 minutes ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

I know it's not a complete game, that much is clear

it's been 3 years and we only just got tanks, there's no roadmap at all, planned content has been abandoned, game modes have been abandoned, weapon resting has been abandoned (stated reason: it's too hard lol), there is still no attachment system, we have no idea when the finished game is actually releasing if ever and to top it all off they're charging more than insurgency sandstorm and rising storm 2 but hey at least it's not dayz right?

maybe I should come back in 3 years, I'm sure at that point they will start teasing untextured helicopter models and will have redesigned the UI a few more times

OWI doesn't give a public road map, to avoid the whole debacle of deadlines, because in development, unplanned bugs and things happen. Allows them to focus on what they're trying to build, and not rush it - Like what happened with v7. 

1. Only planned content from kick-starter that won't be in Squad is playable jets, and a sniper role - Which devs have given their reasons to why.
  2. Game modes have not been abandoned at all. The code work and foundation built for RAAS, allows for them to complete territory control, as the old code work they had, didn't allow for what they needed to do. Insurgency mode has plans to be reworked too.
  3. IIRC, Weapon resting was never promised - Bipods were(Which we have). Weapon resting was a "maybe" and something they'd like in Squad. As stated in the Dev quote above, it's just not viable right now and might be revisited. 
  4. There was never a planned attachment system - "Light" customization was though and there was no real solid plans of how they wanted to do it. I do suggest you look up leaked v13 footage, where the first iteration of multiple choices for classes was shown.

Maybe a break will be a good thing, I have breaks from time to time and refresh my brain from Squad. Maybe you'll be surprised nicely, to what you come back to :)

On 18/02/2019 at 1:23 AM, TheRed said:

I honestly do wonder - for all your suggestion that anyone with what I personally feel is a more grounded and balanced viewpoint than you - that you are unrelentingly hostile and ignorant of all the discussion that's been raised. It's like a religious zealot, for who evidence, facts and so on have no bearing, because belief takes all precedent. Do you even like the game? I'm being serious. Maybe you should come back in three years, yeah, or not at all if you really find it so horribly offensive in its current iteration, and I'm not being mean in saying that - it just seems that you really aren't happy with it, so I'm not sure why you engage. Maybe you'd be happier as a person if you played Katamari Damacy for a bit instead.

I'm not an unhappy person I'm just blunt and like to be efficient with my words, maybe you could learn from that

I do like the game, I just don't like the lack of vision and laziness of the devs

On 18/02/2019 at 2:02 AM, Dubs said:

OWI doesn't give a public road map, to avoid the whole debacle of deadlines, because in development, unplanned bugs and things happen. Allows them to focus on what they're trying to build, and not rush it - Like what happened with v7. 

1. Only planned content from kick-starter that won't be in Squad is playable jets, and a sniper role - Which devs have given their reasons to why.
  2. Game modes have not been abandoned at all. The code work and foundation built for RAAS, allows for them to complete territory control, as the old code work they had, didn't allow for what they needed to do. Insurgency mode has plans to be reworked too.
  3. IIRC, Weapon resting was never promised - Bipods were(Which we have). Weapon resting was a "maybe" and something they'd like in Squad. As stated in the Dev quote above, it's just not viable right now and might be revisited. 
  4. There was never a planned attachment system - "Light" customization was though and there was no real solid plans of how they wanted to do it. I do suggest you look up leaked v13 footage, where the first iteration of multiple choices for classes was shown.

Maybe a break will be a good thing, I have breaks from time to time and refresh my brain from Squad. Maybe you'll be surprised nicely, to what you come back to :)

if devs can't set and stick to deadlines it's a competency issue, unplanned obstacles happen in all industries and workplaces

1. frankly the devs reasons are cop outs that more or less amount to "we don't like it"

2. snipers and CAS was planned too, until I see evidence they're working on insurgency I don't believe it

3 and 4. it doesn't matter if they were planned or not, they belong in a realistic FPS

12 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

if devs can't set and stick to deadlines it's a competency issue, unplanned obstacles happen in all industries and workplaces

1. frankly the devs reasons are cop outs that more or less amount to "we don't like it"

2. snipers and CAS was planned too, until I see evidence they're working on insurgency I don't believe it

3 and 4. it doesn't matter if they were planned or not, they belong in a realistic FPS

By that logic, everyone on the planet has competency issues, because everyone has these moments - Can't do X by Y time, because unplanned/unforeseen Z delayed them. Devs at OWI obviously have deadlines set by their employers, they're just not made public in road-map form with dates. Like I said, to avoid a v7 type of scenario.

We are going in circles here, it kind of seems like you want to argue for the sake of arguing and are just ignoring & disregarding everything that is being said. 

I'm just going to move on. I suggest reading through the AMA here, and whats planned for 2019 here and keep up to date with what's going on in Squad development + the plans.

have a nice day.

17 hours ago, Dubs said:

By that logic, everyone on the planet has competency issues

wouldn't be wrong lol

you're right we are going in circles, I'm fairly certain this game will never live up to it's potential (especially if they listen to the people that post on this forum) which is a huge shame because there truly is a huge amount of potential here

unfortunately modding is nowhere near as popular as it once was, so I doubt we'll be seeing a PR mod anytime soon

It's almost like you are in your own little world.

Modding: anything with  quality inherently becomes more complex and time consuming with increases of fidelity and engine complexity; a shame but it is the case.

Potential - I don't think there are many who wouldn't idealise some aspirations that may be beyond practical reach of the game. It's just that some, including me, try to be understanding of the realities of development, limitations of engine, right of the developers to pursue the vision they want as wish, etc. I'd love this to be a 150v150, huge maps with many improvements in certain systems etc, player-controlled CAS, 100 maps etc. I just don't expect that. This isn't to do with being an apologist for 'incompetent' developers. It's just called trying to be a grown up about expectations and also factoring in the positives, which I maintain are extensive already. I can't get anyone who thinks they, and they alone, are the best qualified to know what's best and all the facts. It's just a special kind of nasty conceit and arrogance. The idea that everyone on the forum, bar you and a little cabal of almost conspiracy-theory level vociferous critics, are wrong in their entirety and have no right to have their own views on the game is just pathetic. It's this same 'we know best, it's us and them, so they must be the enemy and are totally wrong, so we won't talk reasonably' shit is deployed throughout the resurgence of populist, tribalist politics at the moment as well, so maybe you're just a product of your environment. Why not just say 'make Squad great again', huh..!?

Sorry if this message isn't blunt enough, or 'efficient', but if you want something succinct: you are consistenyl a poisonously nasty voice, not a constructive presence at all. I think you would do better to try to shape the game as far as your limited influence goes in different ways. Also remember that it's just a game, huh? Something that shouldn't spawn nastiness or hostile divisiveness, but your willingness to insult everyone directly or otherwise doesn't make you look like some kind of Squad folk hero.

what a disingenuous mess of a post lol

I am not asking for anything technically impossible like 300 player servers, I'm asking them to stick to the original vision that the backers and those that bought the early access on launch thought we were getting

obviously we're not getting that, whatever, but we have no idea what 1.0 actually will have, there is no new vision that we're aware of and we don't even have a targeted release date

being an obedient, unquestioning consumer does not make you grown up, it just makes you an inconsequential drone

I'm not saying that people don't have a right to their views on the game, just that plenty of the views expressed here are total dog shit

the political reach is honestly hilarious, I'm not american (which I'm eternally grateful for) so no I'm not a product of that ****ed up national psyche

I'm not trying to be some folk hero or even convince someone, I just like expressing my opinion about the game

you are bizarrely obsessed with me, it's only a forum lol

On 13/02/2019 at 8:51 AM, Hotpokkaminny said:

I imagine at this point the devs have realised they've probably made most of their revenue and are putting in the bare minimum

Lots to respond to in this thread, not sure if I'll get to it all,

Just wanted to comment honestly that this statement above is about the farthest from the truth. I've been with the team for 11 months and it's definitely been an interesting ride, so so many bugs found and squashed and features implemented. Yeah not all has been an easy road but the team is determined and been putting in the work to see things through.

Myself I do try to take time off from time to time to not get totally burnt out, but this game (and previously PR) is in my blood, most of my waking time (and usually dream time too) has to do with Squad and I truly love seeing the gameplay evolve and develop with the amazing community we have!!

Sorry to hear Hotpok that you're unhappy with the way development has gone for Squad. As I said I've only been on for the last 11 months, but it's been incredible to see the development take place. I think it's difficult maybe to understand how things get made if you've never been apart of a dev team or mod team, so I can completely understand the frustration that things aren't going fast enough or why isn't this done yet etc.

Also something to keep in mind that what OWI/Squad is building is something very unique to the world of military shooters - yes there are a few examples of similar scope (PR:Bf2, Arma), but IMO not as ambitious and accessible as Squad.

So yes, 100 Player servers, Flyable Helicopters and Commander call-in Fixed Wing CAS are priority features that we want implemented prior to being released.

Can answer any questions that might be asked, and you can also check the recent Reddit AMA, but please take that kind of discussion to it's own thread as Gatzby has asked.

12 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

what a disingenuous mess of a post lol

I am not asking for anything technically impossible like 300 player servers, I'm asking them to stick to the original vision that the backers and those that bought the early access on launch thought we were getting

obviously we're not getting that, whatever, but we have no idea what 1.0 actually will have, there is no new vision that we're aware of and we don't even have a targeted release date

being an obedient, unquestioning consumer does not make you grown up, it just makes you an inconsequential drone

I'm not saying that people don't have a right to their views on the game, just that plenty of the views expressed here are total dog shit

the political reach is honestly hilarious, I'm not american (which I'm eternally grateful for) so no I'm not a product of that ****ed up national psyche

I'm not trying to be some folk hero or even convince someone, I just like expressing my opinion about the game

you are bizarrely obsessed with me, it's only a forum lol

I would disagree. I'm certainly no shill or sycophant for OWI and probably one of biggest shitposters of "constructive criticism" here but I've seen nothing but transparency in every step of the development process. And certainly your assertion that the product doesn't dovetail with the goals listed on the Kickstarter is patently false as they're mostly fulfilled and/or projected to be completed in the near future.

Furthermore, there is an entire multitude of features and attributes that were never even mentioned or promised that have been implemented along the way as well.

Also the anti-American segue seems irrelevant in the conversation especially considering you've chosen to play a game where the first main faction is American. What do you do, switch teams every time the game puts you in the American faction to show everyone your distain?

7 hours ago, fuzzhead said:

Also something to keep in mind that what OWI/Squad is building is something very unique to the world of military shooters - yes there are a few examples of similar scope (PR:Bf2, Arma), but IMO not as ambitious and accessible as Squad.

thanks for responding

this is the only part I want to ask about, what do you think is more ambitious about Squad compared to PR?

while I understand building a game from the ground up is harder than making a mod on an old engine with 70% of the necessary assets already in the base game, but to me I don't see what about the actual design philosophy is more ambitious

my main gripe really is just the amount of stuff that has been ruled out without even being tested, VBIEDS, snipers, breaching ropes, politically inconvenient factions etc., bugs and slow development are whatever but the total aversion to any sort of risk is disheartening

greater engagement on the forums would be nice too, I know reddit has a larger reach but I don't think it's the best platform for detailed communication

also fix the rush meta lol

7 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Also the anti-American segue seems irrelevant in the conversation especially considering you've chosen to play a game where the first main faction is American. What do you do, switch teams every time the game puts you in the American faction to show everyone your distain?

it was in response to the bizarre political bend thered took, which I agree is totally irrelevant

I'm not a fan of chechen militants or the taliban either but I still play as them

1 minute ago, Major Trouble said:

@Hotpokkaminny Ruling out 'politically inconvenient' factions is a consequence of any commercial game trying to sell in various markets. Different case for a mod.

I understand the PLA because the chinese love censorship, but stuff like israel/hamas/SAA isn't going to get banned anywhere

that being said 100% we should get the PLA in the game at some point, just do what BF4 did

I've played PR 15 minutes. As soon as i found out they where making a full game i immediately bought squad!

My main attraction to this game was the realism of the factions!

May squad one day have it's own Project Reality MOD.

Edited by Pharanaiton

Sorry that you failed to follow my point,  Hotpot. I never said you were American.  I said that your rhetoric,  your polemics, had a similarly insular and hostile,  unreasoning approach as is increasingly found in populist tribalism across much of the West at present, and gave the more irrational side of Trump's support as an example. I hope this clears things up, my friend. So you see  it wasn't an irrelevant diversion into politics. Sorry to disappoint. 

8 hours ago, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

Hey team...Hows the Swimming mechanics coming along,any news!?. I need to have swim & wash the stench of War!. :D

Cool video RAGING... unfortuantely none of those strokes are effective when swimming with weights, the only real way to swim with weights is to have some kind of floatation device... military speaking you can use a water sealed rucksack or something like that.

I dont have much experience with it, but I have swam with about 25 lbs in full clothes a couple times, its possible but its a very very hard struggle, its less like swimming and more like controlled drowning.

Try next time you are at a pool, put on a couple layers of clothes, some boots and a backpack with some weight in it.... best to ease into it from a standing position where you can comfotably touch bottom, and then you can slowly test out treading water without fearing to drown ... the whip kick wont be as effective as egg beater, but due to the lack of ankle flexibility and consistent pull thru, the legs act more like anchors than helpers, so the arms have to do alot more of the effort and will tire quickly. keep your breathing steady and consistent and try to build up the endurance to cross the whole length, eventually you can get better at it but it takes practice and when you take it out into deeper water, panic can set in fast. wouldnt recommend outdoor training unless you have some lifeguard certified friends to over watch in case something goes bad. You can take cold water submersion safety courses that teaches you survival tips for unanticipated cold water immersion, which is simular in that you will have lots of layers of heavy clothing and footwear that impairs ability to tread water - except with the added element of cold water shock.

As for Squad implementation of swimming, unlikely at this stage, but hopefully amphibious vehicles will make it into the core game at some point!