Gatzby

January 2019 Recap

On 9.2.2019 at 6:01 PM, Sawdy said:

Regarding Snipers, I think a few things that would make this a more realistic and useful role would be the following:
- Sniper Squad (Two man group)
- No Rallies
- Group would be Sniper and Spotter
- Spotter has the rangefinder

- Able to dig in and make a sniper nest for concealment

- If possible add a simple wind to the map (east to west or vice versa) and then have a simple tool for spotter to tell the adjustments

- Able to request airstrikes with priority straight to commander 

- Able to show enemy movement on the map like an SL or even a little more advanced.

- Bolt action rifles

- Possibly a .50 cal for lighter vehicle stoppage.

Side note, instead of making the ranking system all about showing how many you killed or whatever stats might push the rank higher, perhaps the ranking system will give access to higher roles and give an incentive to work as a team. Could even have "qualifiers" on Jensen's for certain roles, for example, sniper has to call in airstrike toward a certain spot with certain precision, take X meter long shots, set up ambushes proficiently, show pistol skills, etc. Same could be done for general infantry, tankers, pilots and commanders. You're simply not allowed to use a tank until you're a certain rank and has cleared a tank course.

Maybe too much, but people want a ranking system, perhaps this way we can get people in the "right position" and still get the beloved ranking system...

My two cents, tata

Sawdy

Tanker at heart

I like that idea!

Any information about the release date of v13?

On 2/6/2019 at 5:56 AM, Thegreenzzz said:

Can we shoot down the UAV?

Should be able to, though *maybe* not in the initial release of the code. Commander CAS may get it at a later date too. 

On 2/5/2019 at 12:59 AM, Hotpokkaminny said:

remove them from AAS where they don't belong lol

Believe the design team is slowly getting there with layer updates. We agree that they don't necessarily stack up against conventional forces in AAS at times.

On 2/5/2019 at 3:50 AM, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

Where are the choppers? T62 and bmps are boring. 

To you. =) Remember, you're not playing alone!

Why spend so much dev time on tracks coming off looking fancy and all? Would be enough to just have a mobility kill mean you can't move

It's part of the component system, which started with the development of tanks. Visual feedback is important -- not only can you tell the vehicle has been tracked as the opponent, it becomes more evident WHY your vehicle has done so as a passenger. Think how weird it would be to have a gun that kills enemies, but has no animations, sounds, or effects. 

It also wasn't a significant time investment, the way an engine upgrade may be. It's important to remember that we're development team and everyone has different skills, approaches, tasks, and workflow. A lot of work can be done at the same time. (Though that varies when there are prerequisites, of course.) For example, if a system is already built, that developer can move on to their test task while the art and effects teams utilize the new addition.

And engine upgrades. Why? Game is working well already couldn't we get choppers instead?

Performance, 100 players, and other features. There's a lot -- we're going from 4.16 to 4.21. Not only are there developer tools in there, but there are also updates for things like large scale maps and high player counts; you might suspect a lot of those benefits are coming out of Fortnite development. Part of getting choppers includes getting up to 100 players, so the folks that were on the front line, but are now in vehicles, don't cause the fights to stall, etc. I mention this to point out it's more than just throwing a flying box in the game as is.

Devs are focusing too much on details. 

Flight controls are important. =P

On 2/5/2019 at 1:44 AM, Cisco™ said:

During the crowdfunding they promised player controlled jets but have since gone away from that promise. Squad devs will probably not even make an effort to even try to implement them into the game. Another false promise. CAS whores was a split in the PR community and i guess the same will happen here. The devs simply dont like CAS. Im sad that squad is not being the PR successor that we where promised. 

You have short minded thinking. But that's okay

Personally I am pumped for Fallujah. Skorpo definitely looks cool!

I am glad I never refunded Squad. While I don't play because of the semester, I might play a few nights during the summer!

You can only ANTICIPATE the awesome things that Squad is going to add in the future years!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ComplainersFFS

On 09/02/2019 at 12:03 AM, Rainmaker said:

In my honest opinion, in the end what it will take to fix Squad and advance in potential will be modders. I envision that will be something like Squad: Project Reality. Which is not ideal, I would rather have official game developed fully and properly before modders start introducing all the things we got baited for on kickstarter.

Why modders?
The official development is painfully slow, they are laying down foundations which from our perspective looked incompetent given how much time passed until they made little progress. And in our case, we stepped in from Kickstarter, we have been with squad through thick and thin basically. Thinking that promises will be kept and done, but we were in for disappointment. HUMVEE's removed, which is understandable, the team would be sued by GM, but very possible to see that coming back with a mod, because GM couldn't sue the modders so easily. Sniper kits are not coming because of cry babies, most probably will come from modders, and player controlled fixed wing jets will not come. Bipods took centuries to make work. Tracked vehicle physics. Gunner in a turret in vehicles still can't duck in cover, and can't use both fifty and M4 (which was talked about by officials AGES ago). Map design only got better very recently with Talil, and previously with Al-Basrah - hats down to the guy who made these two. We got fingers crossed for classic that is Fallujah, that brings hope. With map standard being higher now (congratulations), they need to remove the atrocious ones starting with Gorodok and Chora, it looks ugly and it has no flow. The maps need detail, attention to detail. We still got problems with small rocks and trees flipping our vehicles. The AAS is getting old fast and frontline mode is needed. Why? You got these huge maps and then you put and objective and force 78 people to fight on that tiny spot in the map. It doesn't play well and it sucks. Best gameplays for AAS is done with 2 squads vs 2 squads (18v18). In frontline mode you would utilize entire map, not just tiny portions of it. Everything would come shine, logistical support, helis, APC transports, artilery, tanks, even snipers and fixed wing jets (if they grab their balls and implement them) etc. Instead all we got at the moment is linear, predictable AAS. The problem with shadows still persists, those with shadow off got massive advantage, forcing us to turn shadows off and make the game ugly.

Theres so much more to all this and I love how certain people everytime somebody make a post like this take things out of context and turn reason around to make a pathethic excuse.

Before fanboys attack me, know this. I am bigger fanboy of squad than you will ever.

Regards,
Rain

this is mostly true and it's amazing to me that people defend the devs to such a degree

3 years and still no breachers, no choppers, no VBIEDs, no snipers, no insurgency, no weapon resting,  no ranking system and rushing is still the meta

90% of the decisions to change fundamental game design from PR have been downgrades and there is a complete lack of good maps

I imagine at this point the devs have realised they've probably made most of their revenue and are putting in the bare minimum

5 minutes ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

this is mostly true and it's amazing to me that people defend the devs to such a degree

3 years and still no breachers, no choppers, no VBIEDs, no snipers, no insurgency, no weapon resting,  no ranking system and rushing is still the meta

90% of the decisions to change fundamental game design from PR have been downgrades and there is a complete lack of good maps

I imagine at this point the devs have realised they've probably made most of their revenue and are putting in the bare minimum

Yep, moving to a bigger office and hireing more people sure sound like they are puttin in the bare minimum...

3 minutes ago, koschilein said:

Yep, moving to a bigger office and hireing more people sure sound like they are puttin in the bare minimum...

which has resulted in???

UI redesigns every 3 months? a drip feed of content?

modders have managed to add helicopters, why aren't they in the game yet?

15 minutes ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

which has resulted in???

UI redesigns every 3 months? a drip feed of content?

modders have managed to add helicopters, why aren't they in the game yet?

If you feel that way that is OK, but saying they are puttin in the bare minimum is just mean/wrong. I for one think that the last 3 Versions of the game changed the game much more then any update before and the game is still alpha (so not finished) and there will be more stuff to come.

Why are helicopters not in? Well I can only guess that they want to make then feel and play really nice and also want enough anti air measures against them before putting them into the game. Also they are creating the models and animations from scratch, while the mod uses existing models of the unreal engine marked place thingy from what I understand.

The game is still being developed and they confirmed a dozen of times that they will not stop with version "1.0", so maybe some of your Kickstarter stuff will be put into the game in the future that is not in yet, if not there are always other games for you to play if you dont like the way Squad takes.

23 minutes ago, koschilein said:

If you feel that way that is OK, but saying they are puttin in the bare minimum is just mean/wrong. I for one think that the last 3 Versions of the game changed the game much more then any update before and the game is still alpha (so not finished) and there will be more stuff to come.

Why are helicopters not in? Well I can only guess that they want to make then feel and play really nice and also want enough anti air measures against them before putting them into the game. Also they are creating the models and animations from scratch, while the mod uses existing models of the unreal engine marked place thingy from what I understand.

The game is still being developed and they confirmed a dozen of times that they will not stop with version "1.0", so maybe some of your Kickstarter stuff will be put into the game in the future that is not in yet, if not there are always other games for you to play if you dont like the way Squad takes.

the game has been in alpha for 3 years and still lacks many core features and is lagging behind its contemporaries

they could start with transport helis only, which don't really require any AA to counter, it's pretty amazing that we've had an AA emplacement in the game for a year but no A for it to shoot at

I don't really care what they've confirmed because no one really expects them to stick to what they say, I still like Squad I just don't like the direction (or lack thereof) it's going, I don't think the developers have a cohesive vision of what they want this game to be and it's sad to see the potential of this game wasted

2 hours ago, koschilein said:

Totally don't believe that. Revenues are probably not that big and devs are few and had to learn everything from scratch. Big companies might have 100+ working on a title. Squad has like a dozen? I don't know. Still I need for those choppers to come soon... 

There is a reason this game is good and that is because commercial interests don't take 100% priority giving us another CoD bullshit experience. 

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

I can honestly understand feeling that it's been quite slow of late, yeah. I'd have liked to see maps out quicker, and maybe trials of new, less rushy modes. One heli maybe.

But agreed with above; it's a relatively small team doing this for the first time. I'm fairly sure they'd  privately admit they've messed things up along the way internally at times and had to do more work to regain than had they done this before. Just supposition, but it's this kind of thing that isn't seen that often slows things down. And there are many steps that we don't see and thus forget. Is not unfair to defend devs, or anyone, if criticism seems to have a legitimate defence. Yes, I see many frustrations, but I also think I see crap or petulance and call it where I see it, e.g. this idea that we were promised x y and z. I also focus on the fact that it's still the game I play most and if it stopped development tomorrow, I'd have had far more value than with most purchases ever. These things aren't sycophantic, unreasoning fanboy excuses for devs. They're entirely pertinent points if considering things in the round. 

28 minutes ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

Totally don't believe that. Revenues are probably not that big and devs are few and had to learn everything from scratch. Big companies might have 100+ working on a title. Squad has like a dozen? I don't know. Still I need for those choppers to come soon... 

There is a reason this game is good and that is because commercial interests don't take 100% priority giving us another CoD bullshit experience. 

OWI has stated they have more than enough profits to complete Squad, and then some.

Big companies are more in the 200 - 300+ mark. OWI has grown since it first started, which was around 15 devs, then grew to around 30 during when the playable alpha builds first started. At the time, half the dev team was part timers and a couple freelancers, with the other half full time. Since then, if I remember correctly, the team has grown to about 50 developers.

For helicopters, maps need to be bigger to support their addition. For big maps we need 50v50, so there's more boots to fill the space. For 50v50 we need server side performance improvements. Before doing major work on server side stuff, need all the main systems in squad to know exactly needs to be worked on fully, or they would be forced to revisit and optimize things repeatedly(waste of time & resources)

On top of that, OWI has to finish their flight model and physics side of things. There's a priority list and things are getting ticked off every big release.

Things are getting a little off-topic here, so I'd like to ask you folks to stay focused on the recap. If you'd like to discuss your feelings about Squad development or OWI, another post in the appropriate forums might be a better way to do it.

While we might not have hit your favorite portion of Squad yet, it'd be a disservice to claim the addition of British forces, component damage, tanks, Mestia, Belaya, Tallil, Narva, Kamdesh, Jensen's Range overhauls, lighting and mapping overhauls, etc, an animation overhaul, engine updates, remodeled Insurgents, rewritten (r)AAS code, the addition of mortars, mines and IEDs, big changes to ticket bleed, persistent ammunition, the addition of LMGs/bipods, BTRs, IFVs, emplacements, a new user interface, origin rebasing/scope jitter issues, vaulting and climbing, added Crewman, revised the mapped, began the implementation of the Command Map and commander, the on-going war to find the best name tags and maps, as well as continuing to focus on optimization and bug fixes is "the bare minimum."

2 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

the game has been in alpha for 3 years and still lacks many core features and is lagging behind its contemporaries

they could start with transport helis only, which don't really require any AA to counter, it's pretty amazing that we've had an AA emplacement in the game for a year but no A for it to shoot at

I don't really care what they've confirmed because no one really expects them to stick to what they say, I still like Squad I just don't like the direction (or lack thereof) it's going, I don't think the developers have a cohesive vision of what they want this game to be and it's sad to see the potential of this game wasted

I heard somewhere that the weapon resting ssystem will not be implemented. So SAD !

Yes,  Selecto. It'd be the end of the universe. I'd cry an infinite stream of tears.

6 hours ago, Gatzby said:

While we might not have hit your favorite portion of Squad yet, it'd be a disservice to claim the addition of British forces, component damage, tanks, Mestia, Belaya, Tallil, Narva, Kamdesh, Jensen's Range overhauls, lighting and mapping overhauls, etc, an animation overhaul, engine updates, remodeled Insurgents, rewritten (r)AAS code, the addition of mortars, mines and IEDs, big changes to ticket bleed, persistent ammunition, the addition of LMGs/bipods, BTRs, IFVs, emplacements, a new user interface, origin rebasing/scope jitter issues, vaulting and climbing, added Crewman, revised the mapped, began the implementation of the Command Map and commander, the on-going war to find the best name tags and maps, as well as continuing to focus on optimization and bug fixes is "the bare minimum."

thumb up

Edited by Nightstalker21

7 hours ago, Gatzby said:

Things are getting a little off-topic here, so I'd like to ask you folks to stay focused on the recap. If you'd like to discuss your feelings about Squad development or OWI, another post in the appropriate forums might be a better way to do it.

except it's taken 3 years to get to this point

for reference Insurgency Sandstorm was announced February 16, 2 months after Squad went into early access and is far more feature complete, has smoother netcode, animations, ragdolls and gunplay

thered I don't really understand why you dismiss any and all criticisms of this game, you're the worst type of consumer

Why does it always have to be Criticism :(  Sad panda

The worst type of consumer? What a strange claim. I have not dismissed ant and all criticisms at all. I just try to maintain balance. I acknowledged in only my last post that it has felt little slow. I've made other comments on places. My opinion of the game is largely positive, so that's reflected in my views. It is you who seem to totally ignore all counter arguments or pointed out facts that aren't concordant with what seems to be a view without much balance. As one example, Sandstorm: I'm sure it may do some things better than Squad. Yet you'd have to be a fool to not take the difference in scopes, development processes, scales etc into account, at least. I'm not for a minute disputing Squad has some issues that might, from the outside, seem eminently improvable. But some of the criticisms levelled seem to be nothing but  based on entirely subjective wants or obsessions over a personal issue, or without enough foundation to merit the weight of criticism. I really don't have much issue with the netcode or hitboxes, for example. Can I occasionally see a little issue? Very rarely, very minor. Yet some weirdos go on about it to an insane degree, all the while ignoring the technical difficulties huge maps with vehicles etc have with this compared to the examples so often given. It simply does render the criticisms of this nature to be pretty weak. 

8 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

for reference Insurgency Sandstorm was announced February 16, 2 months after Squad went into early access and is far more feature complete, has smoother netcode, animations, ragdolls and gunplay

thered I don't really understand why you dismiss any and all criticisms of this game, you're the worst type of consumer

Yes but where the tanks, the 80 players server and the 8x8 km map in INSURGENCY ?

You can't compare Squad and Sandstorm...

15 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

Most Battlefield games take 2 years of development with hundreds of people, is it that strange to have a small team work on their first game for over three years?

Insurgency's maps take way less time to create, and it doesn't have nearly as many complex systems to balance as Squad does. Also, insurgency already enstablished itself with their first game.

Edited by Guan_Yu007

obviously insurgency is a different game, it's still not an excuse

how many years does it have to take for you people to say enough? you still teleport when getting revived ffs