Gatzby

January 2019 Recap

This is kinda of what i saw happen with insurgency sandstorm, people thought it would be a unreal port of INS source, this just wasn’t true it’s a new and diffrent game

(I realize that squad wasn’t supposed to be an unreal port of PR, but I feel like some people don’t realize that)

1 hour ago, Thegreenzzz said:

This is kinda of what i saw happen with insurgency sandstorm, people thought it would be a unreal port of INS source, this just wasn’t true it’s a new and diffrent game

(I realize that squad wasn’t supposed to be an unreal port of PR, but I feel like some people don’t realize that)

And this is where it goes wrong with some people, Squad is the spiritual successor to PR, but in no way is it meant to be a PR 2.

38 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Player controlled CAS? Or broken promise from Kickstarter...

I don't recall any promises for anything?

Looking Forward to v13, from update to update i afdraid about the balance and it works out in the end.

And now UAVs will make sneaky peaky actions more difficult...but you know what you are doing :3

Keep on i love your game.

Edited by Neuntöter

5 hours ago, Neuntöter said:

And now UAVs will make sneaky peaky actions more difficult...but you know what you are doing :3

FOB hunting gets so much easier with a UAV. Many are going to be placed indoors which will limit their possible location drastically.

13 hours ago, Melbo said:

I don't recall any promises for anything?

I certainly do recall a promise when I got 15+ people to back Squad ;) . Not only for fixed wing pilots but sniper kits aswell.
roles.jpg

No mention of Territory Control game mode, is it still in the planning? Same with dragging, but to make dragging someone worthwhile we would need to back to the old medic mechanic where only the medic can revive from dead.

Will there be 'friendly fire' from Commander controlled assets, if so will the commander be kicked from the server if he has more than seven team kills?

13 hours ago, Neuntöter said:

Looking Forward to v13, from update to update i afdraid about the balance and it works out in the end.

Exact same thing came to my mind, but I'm sure too that devs will keep balance between factions.

Good job cant wait for v13 !

3 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

I certainly do recall a promise when I got 15+ people to back Squad ;) . Not only for fixed wing pilots but sniper kits aswell.
roles.jpg

Nothing was ever promised or guaranteed. 

38 minutes ago, Melbo said:

Nothing was ever promised or guaranteed. 

True, these were their goals for the game at the time, which can change for every single game in the development process. Reality hits you in the face, and you realise that you might have wanted a bit too much before you knew what you were really getting yourself into.

Please don't forget about "dragging mechanic" Mr.Devs.

42 minutes ago, Lio said:

In b4 no dragging announcement because nothing was ever promised or guaranteed

Edited by Rainmaker

1 hour ago, Rainmaker said:

Nice, finally you understand the fundamental point :) 

I couldn't have stated this much more clearly. Mind you, facts seem not to scratch the surface of opinion far too much these days.

9 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

c2c49653bd79cddf08a213698f614d4f_origina

10 hours ago, Lio said:

Dragging hasn't been forgotten, it has been mentioned quite a lot of the past few months. Right now, it's most likely going to be something added after 1.0 Full release.

A lot of questions about things were answered in the most recent Q&A on the SQUAD Youtube channel, as well as the AMA on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/amso6y/psa_squad_developers_will_be_doing_an_ama_right/

In my honest opinion, in the end what it will take to fix Squad and advance in potential will be modders. I envision that will be something like Squad: Project Reality. Which is not ideal, I would rather have official game developed fully and properly before modders start introducing all the things we got baited for on kickstarter.

Why modders?
The official development is painfully slow, they are laying down foundations which from our perspective looked incompetent given how much time passed until they made little progress. And in our case, we stepped in from Kickstarter, we have been with squad through thick and thin basically. Thinking that promises will be kept and done, but we were in for disappointment. HUMVEE's removed, which is understandable, the team would be sued by GM, but very possible to see that coming back with a mod, because GM couldn't sue the modders so easily. Sniper kits are not coming because of cry babies, most probably will come from modders, and player controlled fixed wing jets will not come. Bipods took centuries to make work. Tracked vehicle physics. Gunner in a turret in vehicles still can't duck in cover, and can't use both fifty and M4 (which was talked about by officials AGES ago). Map design only got better very recently with Talil, and previously with Al-Basrah - hats down to the guy who made these two. We got fingers crossed for classic that is Fallujah, that brings hope. With map standard being higher now (congratulations), they need to remove the atrocious ones starting with Gorodok and Chora, it looks ugly and it has no flow. The maps need detail, attention to detail. We still got problems with small rocks and trees flipping our vehicles. The AAS is getting old fast and frontline mode is needed. Why? You got these huge maps and then you put and objective and force 78 people to fight on that tiny spot in the map. It doesn't play well and it sucks. Best gameplays for AAS is done with 2 squads vs 2 squads (18v18). In frontline mode you would utilize entire map, not just tiny portions of it. Everything would come shine, logistical support, helis, APC transports, artilery, tanks, even snipers and fixed wing jets (if they grab their balls and implement them) etc. Instead all we got at the moment is linear, predictable AAS. The problem with shadows still persists, those with shadow off got massive advantage, forcing us to turn shadows off and make the game ugly.

Theres so much more to all this and I love how certain people everytime somebody make a post like this take things out of context and turn reason around to make a pathethic excuse.

Before fanboys attack me, know this. I am bigger fanboy of squad than you will ever.

Regards,
Rain

Edited by Rainmaker

It's not being a fanboy to offer a reasoned critique of what you say. Yes, development can feel slow.  Yes, some things that have been issue for a while remain. Yes, some of the target vision had not been fulfilled and may not be. But some of your complaints are boring but subjective.  Plenty of people like Chora etc, for example. A lot of your issues have been discussed at length and answers given, but it seems you just haven't taken anything into account. 

@Rainmaker

- Snipers are not coming due to the dev's decision due to the fact that they'll just be used for lone wolfing. (Just like 9/10 marksmen do now.)

- Chora and Gorodok are perfectly fine maps, try Kamdesh and Mestia. I've seen entire servers dry up when Kamdesh is live.

- US army does not use humvees anymore.

- Jets will come in form of Commander air support.

- You're correct on the terrain physmat problems, this has only added frustration for almost no benefit.

- 18v18 0o. No thanks.

- If AAS/RAAS was so predictable, you'd be winning evry game.

Edited by oTec

Regarding Snipers, I think a few things that would make this a more realistic and useful role would be the following:
- Sniper Squad (Two man group)
- No Rallies
- Group would be Sniper and Spotter
- Spotter has the rangefinder

- Able to dig in and make a sniper nest for concealment

- If possible add a simple wind to the map (east to west or vice versa) and then have a simple tool for spotter to tell the adjustments

- Able to request airstrikes with priority straight to commander 

- Able to show enemy movement on the map like an SL or even a little more advanced.

- Bolt action rifles

- Possibly a .50 cal for lighter vehicle stoppage.

Side note, instead of making the ranking system all about showing how many you killed or whatever stats might push the rank higher, perhaps the ranking system will give access to higher roles and give an incentive to work as a team. Could even have "qualifiers" on Jensen's for certain roles, for example, sniper has to call in airstrike toward a certain spot with certain precision, take X meter long shots, set up ambushes proficiently, show pistol skills, etc. Same could be done for general infantry, tankers, pilots and commanders. You're simply not allowed to use a tank until you're a certain rank and has cleared a tank course.

Maybe too much, but people want a ranking system, perhaps this way we can get people in the "right position" and still get the beloved ranking system...

My two cents, tata

Sawdy

Tanker at heart