Gatzby

January 2019 Recap

1 hour ago, Cisco™ said:

Its not an issue of balance or technical limitations, its a matter if the devs like people who fly CAS or not. The PR communuty was very split on this because it was the same group of 20 guys that would fly those assets every game (and they where very good at it). That the reason CAS was so hated in PR. Also player in PR could not coordinate to run an effective AA so that again punished them.

So basically exactly what I said.

Where are the choppers? T62 and bmps are boring. 

Why spend so much dev time on tracks coming off looking fancy and all? Would be enough to just have a mobility kill mean you can't move. Would be a 1-day feat to do that. And engine upgrades. Why? Game is working well already couldn't we get choppers instead? Choppers are taking too long. Devs are focusing too much on details. 

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

3 minutes ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

Why spend so much dev time on tracks coming off looking fancy and all? Would be enough to just have a mobility kill mean you can't move. Would be a 1-day feat to do that. And engine upgrades. Why? Game is working well already couldn't we get choppers instead? Choppers are taking too long. Devs are focusing too much on details. 

Engine Upgrade is a must, and a great new for the community, it will give the Devs a lot of features to work along with bug fixes in the engine and optimization. Maybe not in the user-side but is a step forward in some future features (like 100 player servers and larger maps, thing that Choppers will need). And related to the de-tracking feature, really you complain about such a beautyful feature?

Helis will come, I dont understand that rush for them, they are working hard on development and delivering a great game at the same time. Give them congratulations instead of rushing them with useless Hype.

15 minutes ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

I get the impression that you really like choopers.

16 hours ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

They are still working on choppers but it's not a matter of just pouring more man power on it. It is a combined arms game and choppers are a single aspect, BMPs and T-62s are going to bring a lot of balancing and interesting elements to the known aspects of the game. Who knows what choppers will do.

Edited by Stom

I hope they do something about the terrain in the near future, it's bloody horrible driving now with tracked vehicles or even with normal one's. Some maps where the main bases are on hills, they've actually have to resort to placing repair stations at the bottom of the hill since the logi can't make it back up...

Also, all the hitboxes of rocks, logs and small trees wich obstruct vehicles weighing several tons.

53 minutes ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

No one would ride a chopper off road. Where is the realism? Small little dirt bikes are much better. You'll have to fulfill your Hell's Angels indulgence with the current 'ring a ding' insurgent bike.

14 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

No one would ride a chopper off road. Where is the realism? Small little dirt bikes are much better. You'll have to fulfill your Hell's Angels indulgence with the current 'ring a ding' insurgent bike.

giphy.gif

18 hours ago, Smee said:

Only 2 shots of Fallujah :(  looking great guys. 

We're approaching testing a little different with Fallujah, with a focus on smaller areas/points of interest as we go, (e.g., "Today we're testing the small city area.") so they're a snapshot of what we've been working on lately. Part of trying to make it our most detailed map yet is making sure we check those details. =)

just want the prettty pictures. :)  give a fix Gatzby,  your breaking your cast promise. lol

7 hours ago, Stom said:

They are still working on choppers but it's not a matter of jsut pouring more man power on it. It is a combined arms game and choppers are a single aspect, BMPs and T-62s are going to bring a lot of balancing and interesting elements to the known aspects of the game. Who knows what choppers will do.

Choppers will make game 3d and will pretty much be the only vehicle that requires skill. It was the best element of Project Reality. So cool and difficult to pilot bringing those troops in, flying inside buildings and shit. So cool. BMP2 is a junk vehicle and so is T62, not too say they are malplaced though, but they don't bring much excitement to the battle really.

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

11 hours ago, Cisco™ said:

During the crowdfunding they promised player controlled jets but have since gone away from that promise. Squad devs will probably not even make an effort to even try to implement them into the game. Another false promise. CAS whores was a split in the PR community and i guess the same will happen here. The devs simply dont like CAS. Im sad that squad is not being the PR successor that we where promised. 

this is a fair point and you shouldn't be maligned for hostility

people crowdfunded this game with certain features promised and the devs have since decided they don't want to because they don't like it (snipers were another one)

it's pretty scummy to remove features people paid for in good faith and they deserve to be criticised harshly for it

I get people's frustrations or whatever but I also don't get why you defend hostility. It's not constructive at all. Strength of feeling can be expressed without.

Also, crowfunding is generally NOT a contracted guarantee! You are buying in to support a vision, and part of that, if you are a grown up, is the acceptance that the vision may change for all sorts of reasons, from technical to, yes, straight up changes of creative direction. That is genuinely life in crowndfunding; getting pissy doesn't change the fact or excuse it. Go read the crowdfunding documentation and define what a pitch is as opposed to a finished commercial product. If you buy the latter and it doesn't have what it says it does have within, you have rights with that and have been diddled. If you supported the creation of an idea, but didn't pay for the guaranteed status of a final product - yes, it can feel unfortunate, by by rights you have no issue to kick off. It's in the print. I know people these days are so entitled that they somehow think that things like facts can be discarded in favour of their own priorities or sensitivities, but it's the real world and it isn't like that. There are plenty of threads about the air issue and comments from devs et al on the reasons for and thinking behind the progressions. Coming on for a cathartic moan might make you feel better, but it doesn't help, and you don't have an automatic right to the game you wanted.

5 hours ago, TheRed said:

I get people's frustrations or whatever but I also don't get why you defend hostility. It's not constructive at all. Strength of feeling can be expressed without.

Also, crowfunding is generally NOT a contracted guarantee! You are buying in to support a vision, and part of that, if you are a grown up, is the acceptance that the vision may change for all sorts of reasons, from technical to, yes, straight up changes of creative direction. That is genuinely life in crowndfunding; getting pissy doesn't change the fact or excuse it. Go read the crowdfunding documentation and define what a pitch is as opposed to a finished commercial product. If you buy the latter and it doesn't have what it says it does have within, you have rights with that and have been diddled. If you supported the creation of an idea, but didn't pay for the guaranteed status of a final product - yes, it can feel unfortunate, by by rights you have no issue to kick off. It's in the print. I know people these days are so entitled that they somehow think that things like facts can be discarded in favour of their own priorities or sensitivities, but it's the real world and it isn't like that. There are plenty of threads about the air issue and comments from devs et al on the reasons for and thinking behind the progressions. Coming on for a cathartic moan might make you feel better, but it doesn't help, and you don't have an automatic right to the game you wanted.

When Squad was meant to be the successor to PR and then they simply start including 1/3 the features that the BF2 mod had then no wonder people are shaking their head. I also enjoy playing mortars but EVEN THOSE do not work.

7 hours ago, TheRed said:

what's even the point of this post?

no one said they were legally obliged to do exactly what they said they would, just that it's dishonest to do so (which it is)

we expected a successor to PR but it's clear at this point the devs aren't going in that direction anymore

Moderator edit : Removed unneeded remark.

11 minutes ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

no one said they were legally obliged to do exactly what they said they would, just that it's dishonest to do so (which it is)

we expected a successor to PR but it's clear at this point the devs aren't going in that direction anymore

bootlicker 

This is something that keeps coming up that doesn't make much sense to me.

The game has the same game modes, kit system, squad system and even some of the same maps from PR. It is thematically and structurally the same, it has fulfilled the promise of being a spiritual successor.

I personally don't care much for flyable aircraft and have been in favour of more realistically moving call-ins from the start but I can sympathise with people who were excited to fly.

To my mind Squad has turned into about 80% of what was promised in the kickstarters and I'm satisfied with that because they've been transparent enough with their reasoning for letting some features go.

Are you kidding? As an old PR player, Squad is almost there for me. Of course it can't still match the amount of content but you've gotta remember PR has been very actively developed for 10 years and then slightly slower for the next 5 or so. When I get into Squad, it feels like I'm playing PR, except it looks a lot nicer and has some amazing features that PR could never have due to engine limitations. Seeing the direction Squad's been heading with the latest few recaps, I am more than confident it's going to do PR a great tribute and expand the experience even more.

When it comes to jets, I wouldn't like Squad to have them. I was one of the CAS whores in PR for most of my time playing it, but I never felt they really belonged in the game. Helicopters are a different story though and they make a large part of why PR is so awesome.

Love to see the BMPs are in progress. But hope we will get the BMP 3 some days too.

БМП-3

4 minutes ago, Locke said:

Love to see the BMPs are in progress. But hope we will get the BMP 3 some days too.

БМП-3

Yes! I was just gonna say, please make BMP 3!

7 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

Moderator edit : Removed unneeded remark.

The point, my learned friend, was to refute the idea that a change in direction of a crowdfunded project does not always represent dishonesty or a lack of integrity. You described the aims set out in the crowdfunding vision as "promises" - and my comments regarded loaded terms such as this; suggesting that there were promises - ie guarantees - is disingenuous and unhelpful. I can undersand disappointment at divergence from your own personal ideal, but to lose perspective or decorum over something like this is pretty pointless and unwarranted.

Crowdfunding is inherently a risk. There are no guarantees that the final product meets all the aims or the vision of either the developers or the backers, and this should be clear to anyone taking part in that.