Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pharanaiton

COALITION BATTLES

Recommended Posts

It would be nice to see different NATO forces fighting together on one map, like german and us troops taking on russia for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 2:25 AM, Pharanaiton said:

It would be nice to see different NATO forces fighting together on one map, like german and us troops taking on russia for example.

I like that idea too! like maybe some maps get mostly US, and a squad or two of British troops. 

Edited by nagasuru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 2:25 AM, Pharanaiton said:

It would be nice to see different NATO forces fighting together on one map, like german and us troops taking on russia for example.

Thinking about it, I can see something similar working even better. If they happen to add US Marine factions or similar branches for other factions, I think it would be great on maps like Fallujah to have a mix of Marines and Soldiers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only big ass problem I see here (aside from the dev time it would take) is that some people already have difficulty recognizing friendlies by gear/kit. And thus adding in more different ones to remember would lead to a increase of teamkill incidents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, liamNL said:

Only big ass problem I see here (aside from the dev time it would take) is that some people already have difficulty recognizing friendlies by gear/kit. And thus adding in more different ones to remember would lead to a increase of teamkill incidents.

If one of the developers were to read the suggestion and think "Wellllllll that sounds great but people would be too dumb to make it work" I'd be disappointed.

You can only dumb down IFF so much before it's completely on the player to deal with. I don't know how friendly fire ever happens in a game like Squad where you have an instant perfect accuracy map to tell you if you're looking at a friendly or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about Squad and similar games though is that it has minimal hud forcing you to recognize what team you are on and how they look to avoid friendly fire incidents. And some people will have trouble with that, in no fault of their own or because they're "too dumb". Thus adding another entire faction for a fraction of the team could easilly confuse people unless their enemy is even more distinct (irregulars such as the insurgents). Sure it would be a nice thing to have for "realism" but the practicality is not there for in-game purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, liamNL said:

The thing about Squad and similar games though is that it has minimal hud forcing you to recognize what team you are on and how they look to avoid friendly fire incidents. And some people will have trouble with that, in no fault of their own or because they're "too dumb". Thus adding another entire faction for a fraction of the team could easilly confuse people unless their enemy is even more distinct (irregulars such as the insurgents). Sure it would be a nice thing to have for "realism" but the practicality is not there for in-game purposes.

When I'm playing as the insurgents on Al Basrah, what's stopping me from shooting that goober in the distance with ABUs when I'm wearing something else? He doesn't look like most of the other guys on my team. He's even wearing a part of a Western uniform.

The current iteration of Squad even shoves it right in your face by showing the soldiers on the first screen upon entering a match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose adding a faction on a map requires a lot more use of RAM/VRAM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10-2-2019 at 6:10 AM, Rybec said:

When I'm playing as the insurgents on Al Basrah, what's stopping me from shooting that goober in the distance with ABUs when I'm wearing something else? He doesn't look like most of the other guys on my team. He's even wearing a part of a Western uniform.

The current iteration of Squad even shoves it right in your face by showing the soldiers on the first screen upon entering a match.

Factions have distinct characterisation though so an insurgent won't mistake another raggedy green man for a soldier because the entire look is different. An example of how it can all go wrong:

 

Once upon a time there was a mod, it was called Project Reality. It was pretty neet.

But one day the devs decided to have a winter layout for a popular map, with according winter loadouts for the forces upon it.

These forces were the German Bundeswehr and the Russian Army. Though their gear was distinct they looked quite the same,

even from up close and who could blame you for not spotting the shape of their helmet or the gun in their hands. This led to a lot

of friendly fire incidents even from up close, as people running about move all about it can be hard to distinguish if they have the

right kind of green on their tactical rigs but everything else looked vaguely the same. Eventually the devs made the uniforms more

distinct to differentiate them a bit better, this helped but did not eliminate the problem. Even now you can hear cursing in those

forsaken woods when a friendly accidentally pulls the trigger on another friendly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont like all this game experience improvements at the cost of reality.

hell i dont even like balancing!

i want factions to use the actual equipment with the actual properties (armor/penetration rate and so on)

and if that would make a faction more powerfull, then i would be twice as excited to be on the opposing team and try to win.

But i do understand that that might mean the end of squad sad enough...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though realism should be a priority it should not go ahead of gameplay, for example it sure would be fun to roam in a challenger unopposed by the enemy team. But that isn't any fun for half the people in the match, thus making them leave and then you end up fighting nobody because it's not fun for them to fight you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×