Sign in to follow this  
Rainmaker

Return of the HUMVEE's under a different name

As far as I know Offworld Industries removed the HUMVEE to prevent being prosecuted by General Motors over copyright or whatever.

Why simply not change the name into BAMBEE and change a few details on the 3D model (that can't be easily seen in game, maybe something under the vehicle) and put it back into the game. We have been missing it since it was removed. It will be under a different name, and design will not be identical, hence why BUMBEE will not represent HUMVEE in the game.

Regards,
Rain

Not sure if it would be good to bring them back, other than nostalgia. Aren't they pretty much all replaced irl at this point?

36 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Not sure if it would be good to bring them back, other than nostalgia. Aren't they pretty much all replaced irl at this point?

Heh, there's a more detailed Wikipedia article than anticipated even: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humvee_replacement_process

In the short term, Humvees that were in service in Iraq were replaced by Category 1 MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected) armored vehicles, primarily the Force Protection Cougar H and the International MaxxPro.[2] The United States Marine Corps replaced all Humvees patrolling "outside the wire" with MRAP vehicles. The U.S. military began procuring a lighter vehicle under the MRAP All Terrain Vehicle (M-ATV) program in 2009.[3]

Apparently plans for the replacements began as early as 2005.

Plans for Russian T-72 is to be replaced aswell, yet we don't have T-90 or Armata instead of T-72 in the game.

Now I am not strictly talking about ingame but:
HUMVEE is still an awesome vehicle and is fast with low profile and can traverse very rough terrain and heavy inclines. While MRAP is a solid vehicle, it still is NOT mine resistant if the enemy wants to blow it up. And you can check it yourself from uncensored videos from troops that got blown up while operating in MRAP's. HUMVEE is going to stay in service for long time to come in my personal opinion.

It would be only fair that we get HUMVEES back. Following the same logic with T-72. You got to keep in mind that there's huge difference in how Russians do stuff vs. how western powers do, in regards to military spending, production etc. Its just on game design how you are going to interpret that. Maybe do 1 T-14 spawn for russians and the rest are T-72 respawns. You see where I am getting at? 

(For all guys thinking I am taking sides, please do not post, I am simply wishing for us to use HUMVEE's again, the asset is there and with very little tweaks we can finally use it again, its iconic vehicle still very capable of doing everything what MRAP does or better.)

1 hour ago, Rainmaker said:

Plans for Russian T-72 is to be replaced aswell, yet we don't have T-90 or Armata instead of T-72 in the game.

Well i think the T-90 simply hasn't been made yet, at the very least i hope it makes it into Squad. Tho it's estimated that only around 350 T-90's are in Russian service, while the amount of T-72's would be over 2000, so the T-72 is most likely not going to go for a while yet.

Everyone wants to see the HUMVEE return in some iteration but my guess is that it would need substantial remodelling to properly avoid any legal trouble and that's just not worthwhile when there's so many other vehicles that would have a greater affect on gameplay for those resources to be dedicated towards.

I agree that the vehicle has enough differences in role to make it valuable to the game compared with the M-ATV but not to take priority over something like a BMP, Challenger or helicopter which would use the same artists.

Guys..it's not a MRAP...stop calling it that. It's a JTLV - completely different than a MRAP. I can't count how many people keep saying its a MRAP it's driving me nuts.