infamousplayer

Squad is dead or not ?

From what I've been seeing, Squad is not even CLOSE to dead.

I see many more servers than before and the community is growing by the day!

I don't think player count trends in a feature-incomplete alpha are indicative of anything whatsoever. I bought the game on launch and didn't really play regularly until tanks were released.

If the game can maintain the same playerbase PR had I'm satisfied tbh

On 2019-01-30 at 5:04 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

I would concur. I've personally enjoyed the game itself immensely mostly because it reminds me so much of the Novalogic Delta Force games. So for me its more of a nostalgia factor. The trouble is though in my opinion Squad has always been the answer to a question that pretty much nobody asked. You see, sitting on the fence between MilSim and Arcade does nothing but pretty much bewilder the majority of the demographic of potential players in this genre. Not only that, but both sub genres cancel each other out within the game. I don't think anyone ever really considered that factor at its inception. So for the Arma type people Squad isn't realistic enough and on the other hand for the COD Kids its clunky and slow with way too much downtime and planning. 

Certainly the proof of this is the simple statistics available online. https://steamcharts.com/app/393380 Besides the bumps across the graph related to free weekends and patch releases the community has basically plateaued across its entire timeline and is on another downward trend currently. And its not like there aren't a lot of keys out their either, I think it was close to around half a million plus last time I checked.

Bottom line, to answer OP's original question, no Squad isn't dead by any means however unless changes are made I could see it eventually fade into obscurity and be left behind by an extremely competitive marketplace just like many other similar games in the genre. Face it, Squad can't compete with all the big studio arcade shooters so it doesn't make any sense to even have any arcade elements at all in the game. As a completely realistic shooter more gritty and abrasive than Arma Squad could have the potential to become a franchise. Conversely as a MilSim/Arcade hybrid the last three years would be indicative of its future regardless of when its officially finished... 

Totally disagree. For me and many this is sweet spot between arcade and milsim. This is what made PR such a successful concept in the first place! 

In no way do I think Squad is dying! Is this thread start a competitors shit-post? Game is getting better all the time and no game I know offers anything as sweet. Game will be so much more attractive with Choppers coming and will have players for years to come much like PR still has players even though it is based upon BF2(!) 

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

i read your comment , i'll share my feelings , why squad is dead to my eyes , i probably bought the game too early , and the V12 made me stop

1. since 3.7, I have run all the maps hundreds of times, the V12 did not bring anything new on this point (talil?)

2. 3 years on the same game ... I have more this early enthusiasm, maybe the young soldiers, will be more

3. on a real battlefield, the TOW or the rocket launcher of the insurgents, completely exploded a tank

4. finally, my disappointments ... the developers do not think of old players, for card additions.
the rocket launcher and the grenade launcher system that have completely changed since the V10, indestructible tanks, players who resurrect everyone (simulation of super war).
I'm nostalgic of old sumari and old insurgents ... the good old Arab insurgents scarface and one-eyed with turban is an advantage, that's about all

a yes I forgot, the players who say it's an alpha-beta, the players are much more numerous , but I have the experience, I bought the game since the 3.7, we were still less and I was having more fun, and the game should be over, and have many more factions and cards

for those who say it's the best FPS, I totally agree, and I do not play other FPS, if I do not play a squad, I do not play FPS

Maybe EFT xD

Edited by infamousplayer

3 hours ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

Totally disagree. For me and many this is sweet spot between arcade and milsim. This is what made PR such a successful concept in the first place!

Well, in all actuality you're not disagreeing with my preference about what Squad should or shouldn't be because truth be told my opinion is irrelevant. What you're disagreeing with is how the demographics response over the last 3 years has been to a game that's a juxtaposition of MilSim & Arcade. Simply put as people that enjoy the mixture we're a tiny minority compared to the masses and the statistics simply don't validate your argument.

Listen. I'll repeat it again. I like the game enough to invest over 4000 hours of nostalgic enjoyment into it because of its similarity to the Delta Force games.

Again its just my casual observation that in an extremely crowded genre of energy drink sponsored eye candy shooters Squad does nothing to excite or interest the literally millions of potential new players. And of the new players that do buy the game each and every day and try playing it their experience can vary greatly because there is a wildly fluctuating front end to the game with no controlled vanilla servers. Couple that with many of the internal mechanisms being in a constant state of flux plus the elements of MilSim and Arcade are constantly fighting each other and cancelling each other out in a "whack-a-mole" fashion people are left in a state of bewilderment and go back to their COD/BF or Arma.

This is just reality. Squad has had plenty of exposure on YouTube and has been featured numerous times on the main Steam page. Based on readily available information I'm sure theres over a million keys floating around which is a good thing however nobody can argue with the fact that the game has a player retention problem.

On 1/31/2019 at 3:01 AM, Tartantyco said:

No, the underlying stats show that the stable peak player count per month has gone from 1,500 to 3,000, the seeming downward trend is just because of new updates, free weekends and sales skyrocketing the player count, as well as peaks during summer. I'm sure it's not the growth they'd like to see, but it would be hard to misconstrue this as a downward trend.

That makes sense. I hate playing on free weekends though. Those tourists are crazy bad and whilst we can get a few converts by being a good SL, it's hard when so many people keep asking why they can't go marksman.

On 1/30/2019 at 3:26 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

Unfortunately that's simply not the case.

https://steamcharts.com/app/393380

There's literally only two NA servers to play on right this minute.

Its always easy to make your argument by cherry picking the data.

Right now, at 20:00 CST there are 14 full NA servers and 2-3 with players around 30 players.

Since this is a game that appeals to the more mature gamer, its not realistic to find that many full servers during workhours for NA.

Edited by Jevski

1 hour ago, Jevski said:

Right now, at 20:00 CST there are 14 full NA servers and 2-3 with players around 30 players.

Since this is a game that appeals to the more mature gamer, its not realistic to find that many full servers during workhours for NA.

In Australia evening, the 2-3 servers are absolutely packed with 10+ in queue. During work hours, should I even be home, I have to join a US server.

8 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Again its just my casual observation that in an extremely crowded genre of energy drink sponsored eye candy shooters Squad does nothing to excite or interest the literally millions of potential new players. And of the new players that do buy the game each and every day and try playing it their experience can vary greatly because there is a wildly fluctuating front end to the game with no controlled vanilla servers. Couple that with many of the internal mechanisms being in a constant state of flux plus the elements of MilSim and Arcade are constantly fighting each other and cancelling each other out in a "whack-a-mole" fashion people are left in a state of bewilderment and go back to their COD/BF or Arma.

People often use "it's an alpha/beta" as a shield against criticism but I think a lot of this "wack-a-mole" of mechanics is just the reality of Early Access development rather than MilSim vs Arcade fighting one another.

The challenge Squad faces is that it's a team based shooter that has to be balanced, but hasn't finalised any of it's key features and that's where this constant reshuffling comes from, not the genre. For me personally Squad plays better than it has in any version before, there are some who prefer some older mechanic versions like the V9 aiming controls and even those that preferred the game without vehicles.

People will come and go, but to my mind Squad has maintained it's balance of arcade and milsim really well during development and is filling a void in the market quite well. Whether there is a massive playerbase waiting to find and fill that void or not is pretty irrelevant at the moment since there's plenty of sales to fuel development and always servers that are full. When the game stops making money or can't fill servers that's when it'll be time to worry, not at the moment.

11 hours ago, Jevski said:

not sure it was cherry picking any data as the data shown was about 3 years worth if you check the table and not just the headline no.... infact I would say you cherry picked the data as its only a point in time that you decided to look... not over a period ... the game is certainly not in decline but vs the no. of games bought ... (I read somewhere over a million) the average of 2000 a day is not a great no.   Whilst it matters not to those that enjoy the game the trouble will arise where the investment and continuance of dev may not be able to keep at full pace based on ongoing purchases and I imagine will eventually be handed over to the community to continue that, as I believe happened with pr.    

It looks like more of the clans have taken a back seat (certainly server wise) as I see less and less of the old clans but a few newer servers.

Probably the 1000th time I've said this on the forums but the number of players is pretty much bang on (if not more) with other games of the genre.

1 hour ago, Melbo said:

Probably the 1000th time I've said this on the forums but the number of players is pretty much bang on (if not more) with other games of the genre.

Just in case anyone was wondering.

..... this also doesnt include the new battlefield games....data from steam charts.  yea I was bored

.  Feel free to add others as I could not quite find games exactly like squad as it depends on what you want to compare it with....

AVG no. of players playing per day over a 30 day period 

Arma ... 15 000 ..

War Thunder 13000

Blacksquad 5000

Ghost Recon Wildlands  3846

Insurgency Sandstorm 3200

COD wWII 2-3000

Warface 2500

Squad 1825

COD Black ops 1800

Rising storm Vietnam 1500

Post Scriptum 501

DCS World 480

Proving Grounds 325

World War 3 200

WWII Online 22

Medal of Honor 4.6

Edited by embecmom

There's like 3 or 4 games in that list including Squad that can really be compared regarding the genre.

Mediocrity Principle

The mediocrity principle is the philosophical notion that "if an item is drawn at random from one of several sets or categories, it's likelier to come from the most numerous category than from any one of the less numerous categories".

My whole point has always been that Squad is something completely unique and has elements that differentiate it from every other game in the genre. That said, slowly diluting the game with arcade elements that conflict with its "viseral & organic" attributes of realism with the notion that this will somehow placate a segment of the demographic does nothing but actually drive folks away. As embecmom and I have pointed out statistics over the timeline show complete stagnation when a comparison of sales vs. player numbers is done showing approximately 0.03% user participation.

On the other hand what do I as some dumb hillbilly care? I don't have a dog in the fight. Truth be told video games are nothing more than trivial time wasters and theres always a new one either coming out or just around the corner. All I'm saying is if history is any indication of the future then I'd hate to look back a few years from now and see a game with less than 100 people playing because the game couldn't satisfy everyone so it never satisfied anyone.

Take away all the arcade elements and make an end product that is way past Arma3 on the realism scale and Squad will become a franchise. Guaranteed. Or add more arcade shooty shooty bang bang for the cod kiddies and its just another mediocre pewpew lost in vast ocean of similar offal.

I think this whole thread is a waste of time. Squad is working great its not Arma its not call of duty and its not dying. It will die if tries to be anything it isn't. 

I mean devs are still developing no? That means money keeps coming = it's not dying. End of story. 

Anyway any game will die some day. PR hasn't even died even if it should have died like 10 years ago. So won't Squad. 

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

10 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Mediocrity Principle

The mediocrity principle is the philosophical notion that "if an item is drawn at random from one of several sets or categories, it's likelier to come from the most numerous category than from any one of the less numerous categories".

My whole point has always been that Squad is something completely unique and has elements that differentiate it from every other game in the genre. That said, slowly diluting the game with arcade elements that conflict with its "viseral & organic" attributes of realism with the notion that this will somehow placate a segment of the demographic does nothing but actually drive folks away. As embecmom and I have pointed out statistics over the timeline show complete stagnation when a comparison of sales vs. player numbers is done showing approximately 0.03% user participation.

On the other hand what do I as some dumb hillbilly care? I don't have a dog in the fight. Truth be told video games are nothing more than trivial time wasters and theres always a new one either coming out or just around the corner. All I'm saying is if history is any indication of the future then I'd hate to look back a few years from now and see a game with less than 100 people playing because the game couldn't satisfy everyone so it never satisfied anyone.

Take away all the arcade elements and make an end product that is way past Arma3 on the realism scale and Squad will become a franchise. Guaranteed. Or add more arcade shooty shooty bang bang for the cod kiddies and its just another mediocre pewpew lost in vast ocean of similar offal.

Pretty much every game has something Unique not found in other games. Insurgency Sandstorm is pretty unique in it's own way. I don't really see any sort of clones anymore in any of the games. 

It's interesting to me the type of conversation that this thread has brought up. 

I really am disappointed in the "This is an Alpha game" defense or whatever you'd call it. 

I really liked the point about the constant reshuffling of the game every patch changing it up. There's not any consistency anywhere. 

You look at Insurgency Sandstorm, one of the best early access turned full games ever to happen. Completely new engine, gameplay even better than the previous entry, just a stand up game all around going places it hasn't been and not many others go. They started from the ground and churned out a complete game. 

How many years are we into squad and don't even have the same end goal from the first iteration? 

11 hours ago, Pmikey said:

Pretty much every game has something Unique not found in other games. Insurgency Sandstorm is pretty unique in it's own way. I don't really see any sort of clones anymore in any of the games. 

It's interesting to me the type of conversation that this thread has brought up. 

I really am disappointed in the "This is an Alpha game" defense or whatever you'd call it. 

I really liked the point about the constant reshuffling of the game every patch changing it up. There's not any consistency anywhere. 

You look at Insurgency Sandstorm, one of the best early access turned full games ever to happen. Completely new engine, gameplay even better than the previous entry, just a stand up game all around going places it hasn't been and not many others go. They started from the ground and churned out a complete game. 

How many years are we into squad and don't even have the same end goal from the first iteration? 

Yes. An ever changing Squad game is part of the nice experience I think. Always some tweaks or new candy. I don't really buy into the game is alpha really. I think it's just something the devs say so they don't feel like they have to be finished some time really. I like that idea. 

On 01/02/2019 at 5:08 PM, embecmom said:

which ones?  if were comparing like for like then Arma is the stand out no?

Personally the only ones you can really compare to are RS2, PS and maybe Sandstorm. Arma is a completely different beast. 

17 hours ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

Yes. An ever changing Squad game is part of the nice experience I think. Always some tweaks or new candy. I don't really buy into the game is alpha really. I think it's just something the devs say so they don't feel like they have to be finished some time really. I like that idea. 

I have a very bad English, but I understand your way of seeing ..., do not take things too much to heart, alpha blah blah blah, you want to impose your vision on others, everyone must respect what others think

On 29.1.2019 at 8:29 PM, UrANiUM262 said:

I actually see more fully popped servers with ques than I have ever before so I have to strongly disagree on this one.

yeah, the servers are full, full of pople doing anything but not playing the game. there is absolutely no valuable communication,

only people talking random stuff, telling bad jokes and basically refusing to play the game. i've tried quite a few servers and it's always the same.

5 hours ago, FIXXXER said:

yeah, the servers are full, full of pople doing anything but not playing the game. there is absolutely no valuable communication,

only people talking random stuff, telling bad jokes and basically refusing to play the game. i've tried quite a few servers and it's always the same.

People are just having fun I guess. Isn't that the whole purpose of videos games anyway? Maybe it's inevitable that's what a hybrid Arcade/MilSim evolves into apparently. If you're striving to participate in serious gameplay with valuable communication joining an ARMA3 MilSim clan where they move around in stacks might be a more appropriate fit.

Until then it's people wasting vehicles, jamming music in local and spamming the global text chat with inappropriate content because there's so much time to kill in the game for most typical players.

On 18.2.2019 at 8:12 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

People are just having fun I guess. Isn't that the whole purpose of videos games anyway? Maybe it's inevitable that's what a hybrid Arcade/MilSim evolves into apparently. If you're striving to participate in serious gameplay with valuable communication joining an ARMA3 MilSim clan where they move around in stacks might be a more appropriate fit.

Until then it's people wasting vehicles, jamming music in local and spamming the global text chat with inappropriate content because there's so much time to kill in the game for most typical players.

i have nothing against a "less serious" approach on the game but the game should be still playable at this point.

it does not have to be super milsim but it does not have to be a total shitfest either where people are simply not participating in the game.

this is like people going to the cinema and then playing angry birds on their phone through out the entire movie...

On 19.2.2019 at 12:58 AM, Hotpokkaminny said:

highlight of the game tbh

i don't get this, seriously.

19 hours ago, FIXXXER said:

i have nothing against a "less serious" approach on the game but the game should be still playable at this point.

it does not have to be super milsim but it does not have to be a total shitfest either where people are simply not participating in the game.

this is like people going to the cinema and then playing angry birds on their phone through out the entire movie...

i don't get this, seriously.

Next time you see someone playing grab ass look at their role and 99% of the time you'll see they're a basic iron sighted rifleman. Now do you get it? People get bored when everyone else has the good stuff.