Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stom

Interactive IEDs

Recommended Posts

Kept thinking on this idea rather than sleeping so here it is.

 

I propose that when an IED is placed it becomes an interactive item with a radial menu like the Rifleman's ammo bag, rather than being immediatley armed and ready to be detonated. The options on the IED would be something like these:

 

- Pick up: Everyone can do this, including enemy. For the scout the IED would go back into their equipment slot but all other kits would carry it in their hands until dropped.

- Arm/Disarm: Only scouts can do this, and potentially an engineer/EOD type kit for conventional forces.

- Set detonation phone number: Only the scout that placed the IED.

 

Coupled with this, the phone detonator item would be changed so it would open a different radial menu like the Squad/Fireteam leader command menu. This menu would have three separate detonation 'phone numbers', which for ease of use should just be the last three numbers of a phone number (eg. **** *** 092). When you select one of these numbers it dials and detonates any IED set to that number. There is also the potential to share numbers between Scouts using this menu, but that's not particularly important for the suggestion.

 

So why do this?

 

Simply put, the IED is the most interesting and powerful piece of equipment for the Irregular forces, and given their current relatively weak performance compared to the conventional forces it's prime time to push their assymetric strengths further.

 

This would also give the IED the ability to be carried and detonated. This would avoid the potential for certain countries to take legal action against the game because there would be no OWI created suicide vest in the game, but if players decide to use an innovative tactic with the game mechanics, so be it.

 

There's also smaller details about IEDs that could be improved and expanded, like exploding when hit by another explosion or having counter-IED kits like an Engineer or EOD tech.

 

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Stom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

since when can countries take legal action for having suicide vests in the game?

anyway this is some clunky shit that no one will bother with (especially a dedicated anti IED class lmfao)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

since when can countries take legal action for having suicide vests in the game?

anyway this is some clunky shit that no one will bother with (especially a dedicated anti IED class lmfao)

Well if you know some trends from recent years you'll notice that a few major countries such as Germany, China and Australia have banned a few games for various reasons, from drug use to gore, so it wouldn't be surprising if they did take action against a game that lets you play as a suicide bomber. There's also the Medal of Honor reboot that caused a huge amount of media fuss by naming one of thier multiplayer factions Taliban which they quickly undid, while that's not the exact same situation you can see connecting threads.

 

What I've proposed isn't any more clunky than using an ammo bag, and if you've seen the recent playtest version of the game there is already an engineer class that has explosives and a repair kit, so they wouldn't be dedicated to anit-IED but rather an addition to their role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stom said:

Well if you know some trends from recent years you'll notice that a few major countries such as Germany, China and Australia have banned a few games for various reasons, from drug use to gore, so it wouldn't be surprising if they did take action against a game that lets you play as a suicide bomber. There's also the Medal of Honor reboot that caused a huge amount of media fuss by naming one of thier multiplayer factions Taliban which they quickly undid, while that's not the exact same situation you can see connecting threads.

 

What I've proposed isn't any more clunky than using an ammo bag, and if you've seen the recent playtest version of the game there is already an engineer class that has explosives and a repair kit, so they wouldn't be dedicated to anit-IED but rather an addition to their role.

It would make a lot more sense if the reason a suicide vests and trucks aren't in Squad would be more related to the fact that you're intentionally taking away a ticket from your team which isn't encouraged. I mean honestly, think about it, any game like this is basically one big murder simulation anyway so whats the difference in the methodology?

 

Personally I think it most definitely should be in INS faction as its more than completely realistic and is typically one of their strongest weapons irl. Certainly with the inclusion of conventional air strikes there needs to be some balancing factors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great idea . Let's get that and bring back the combat engineers from PR to disarm and detect ieds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Stom said:

Well if you know some trends from recent years you'll notice that a few major countries such as Germany, China and Australia have banned a few games for various reasons, from drug use to gore, so it wouldn't be surprising if they did take action against a game that lets you play as a suicide bomber. There's also the Medal of Honor reboot that caused a huge amount of media fuss by naming one of thier multiplayer factions Taliban which they quickly undid, while that's not the exact same situation you can see connecting threads.

 

What I've proposed isn't any more clunky than using an ammo bag, and if you've seen the recent playtest version of the game there is already an engineer class that has explosives and a repair kit, so they wouldn't be dedicated to anit-IED but rather an addition to their role.

at least in Australia games are being banned far less

Rising Storm featured suicide explosives as a tactic and no one cared, the new Insurgency and even Battlefield (huge franchise made by permacuck Swedes) lets you load up explosives on a vehicle/person

that being said I don't think we need suicide vests, they're used in terrorist attacks in crowded places, not in active combat, there should definitely be VBIEDS however

I think allowing IEDs to be picked up is a good idea but the other 2 are unnecessary, IEDs are not designed to be easily disarmed and the multiple number thing wouldn't work when scouts can't actually talk to each other

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

at least in Australia games are being banned far less

Rising Storm featured suicide explosives as a tactic and no one cared, the new Insurgency and even Battlefield lets you load up explosives on a vehicle/person

that being said I don't think we need suicide vests, they're used in terrorist attacks in crowded places, not in active combat, there should definitely be VBIEDS however

 

That's a large part of the reason I made this suggestion, both Rising Storm and Battlefield allow players to do it through mechanics but don't have specific weapons or kits to do it, which is what I am suggesting. Insurgency Sandstorm doesn't allow players to play as suicide bombers, those are only AI in the coop mode. I think all of these games don't have explicit player controlled suicide bombing to avoid the potential legal or publicity issues but the practical result is players can still do it as a tactic.

 

58 minutes ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

I think allowing IEDs to be picked up is a good idea but the other 2 are unnecessary, IEDs are not designed to be easily disarmed and the multiple number thing wouldn't work when scouts can't actually talk to each other

 

IEDs can currently be destroyed by anyone with a shovel. I am just suggesting that the engineer kit, which is already in the test branch, has it's capability expanded to disarm IEDs. Coupled with this IEDs should no longer be destroyed by shovels so only Sappers/Engineers can disarm them adding value to those kits and increasing the threat of IEDs.

 

Setting numbers would allow Sappers better control and versatility with how they use IEDs and if you find it too complicated and don't want to work with those mechanics it would work the same way it does now where all IEDs are bound to a single default number.

 

10 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

It would make a lot more sense if the reason a suicide vests and trucks aren't in Squad would be more related to the fact that you're intentionally taking away a ticket from your team which isn't encouraged. I mean honestly, think about it, any game like this is basically one big murder simulation anyway so whats the difference in the methodology?

 

Personally I think it most definitely should be in INS faction as its more than completely realistic and is typically one of their strongest weapons irl. Certainly with the inclusion of conventional air strikes there needs to be some balancing factors.

 

From a reasonable standpoint as someone that plays the game I agree. But the players who are already in the community aren't the people that would cause a fuss.

 

You and I see it as a game that represents real world tactics but there are many people in positions of power that just see games as romantic escapism so when they hear that a game set in the modern day let's you play as a suicide bomber against real world countries they think it's 'training terrorists' no matter the context. You might remember all the media fuss that resulted from someone making a mod that had an ISIS faction in Arma 3, which was always intended as an opfor faction.

 

7 hours ago, maze2 said:

Great idea . Let's get that and bring back the combat engineers from PR to disarm and detect ieds.

 

It's funny that just after I posted this the test branch updated with an Engineer class for each conventional faction that has explosives and a vehicle repair kit. So if IEDs were overhauled that class would get the ability to deal wit them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Stom said:

 

That's a large part of the reason I made this suggestion, both Rising Storm and Battlefield allow players to do it through mechanics but don't have specific weapons or kits to do it, which is what I am suggesting. Insurgency Sandstorm doesn't allow players to play as suicide bombers, those are only AI in the coop mode. I think all of these games don't have explicit player controlled suicide bombing to avoid the potential legal or publicity issues but the practical result is players can still do it as a tactic.

 

In Sandstorm once you throw the IED it is armed, so you can throw it, have a team mate pick it up and then detonate them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

In Sandstorm once you throw the IED it is armed, so you can throw it, have a team mate pick it up and then detonate them.

Didn't know that but it's exactly what I'm suggesting. In Squad it would have a greater tactical benefit than I image it has in Sandstorm since there's armoured vehicles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×