Gatzby

SquadChat - 10 - ft. Drav

Hey Squaddies!

We kicked off the first SquadChat of the year with one of our favorite head honchos, lead producer Dave "drav" Mason!

The SquadChat took place on Friday, January 25th, at 10 AM Pacific Time (1800 UTC) at http://twitch.tv/JoinSquad

We recommend following JoinSquad on Twitch so you'll get the notification when we go live. =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i33Tjq9-Ajg

Note: There was an issue with the first few minutes of audio, but I'm working to try to fix that. In the event that I can't, please be advised that no leeks were harmed in the process. The discussion was an introduction to Drav, and what he does on Squad, as well as quick overview of OWI's growth. All of your questions are intact. =)

That's good news!

Can you guys add time stamps in the video description on youtube in the future please? (example)

This way people can choose to watch just the bit of news they're really interested in.

I am very hesitant on watching the Squad chats, since I could do a lot of stuff in 1 - 1.5 hours.

Please is there any possibility of a hot patch with some Tallil layers matching up USA vs. INS? Also, I think its the best map of the game so far but why is missing the Ziggurat of Ur which is IRL right next to the airport?

Zylfrax: wont be a hotfix but I will definitely get a USA vs Insurgents layer in Tallil for the next version :)

Ziggurat of Ur is a very cool ancient site that would make a wicked POI... I think the idea is to include it at some point but the initial release we ran out of bandwidth in environment dept to add this icon buildings. There is a plan to have a Tallil overhaul (like what we did with Yehorivka), down the line to get the gameplay dialed in more.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:20 PM, sanf said:

That's good news!

Can you guys add time stamps in the video description on youtube in the future please? (example)

This way people can choose to watch just the bit of news they're really interested in.

I am very hesitant on watching the Squad chats, since I could do a lot of stuff in 1 - 1.5 hours.

Will look into it. Chances are it has to be done manually, and that means me spending several hours not doing other things, so may not be the best use of time. =)

We don't plan out much ahead (pretty much date, time, and who's coming), so it really is going back to annotate a conversation.

Regarding your discussion about how to make Squad Lead easier.  The biggest problem I have with being SL is all that you have to manage, which includes the radio and setting things to build at a FOB.  It's no wonder that in real life they have a man dedicated to handling radio communication.  It would be interesting if you explored the idea of a "radio" role, where the guy with radio handles comms to other squads, and could also help mark things on maps, maybe even have a limited amount of things they can place to be built such as sandbags and razor wire.  Basically, a Squad Lead Jr role.  In your SquadChat with Drav, what I heard as a solution to this concern was not things that would help reduce the load, but would actually INCREASE the load.  The idea of talking to a Commander, or calling for air support is just MORE work for SL with yet more comms to deal with.  So then while your squadies are yelling "drop an ammo crate" you'll now have another guy yelling "call for air support at my ping on the map" that requires you to stop, open map, watch for ping, mark it, call the Commander and ask for air support, all while taking fire.  Do you know how nice it would be if an SL could tell SL Jr. "call in air support on XYZ's ping" or "drop me an ammo crate on my mark."  You could even combine it with the approval system you already have built for vehicles so Jr. could do the work and the approval for their actions could come to you to make sure Jr. doesn't go off doing their own thing with their increased power.  Oh my word, that would drastically reduce my SL work load by being able to off-load that type of stuff to someone else and make being SL more enjoyable.

Please explore this idea a bit more (call it SL Jr., a Radio role or whatever you want.)  I think it would add a completely new and exciting dynamic to the game.  AND THEN... we could FINALLY have reason to say "this is Charlie Actual. Bravo, I need a Logi now."

Tbh squadleading becomes pretty easy with fireteams, i just have to manage two or three players rather than nine.

9 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Tbh squadleading becomes pretty easy with fireteams, i just have to manage two or three players rather than nine.

Sorry, I've done that, and it is not the solution, at least not in it's current form.  Even if you had three fire team leaders, you are STILL hearing all their communication, plus the guys in your own fireteam, plus the SL chat channel, plus the local channel.  IF the devs implemented Fireteam chat, so the FT's could talk among themselves without it going to everyone, then I could see it making a difference.  I thought it was interesting in the video that this question was asked and Drav just flat out said "no, we're not going to do separate chat channels for fireteams."  How dumb is this?  They could TOTALLY implement it using the same keys for SL channel.  You could press "G" to talk to your own fireteam peeps (meaning all on a fireteam could press G to speak with each other) and the Fireteam lead could use the number keys to talk directly to other fireteam leads.  Or you could go even more drastic and have the "squad" channel be turned into a fireteam channel only and then ONLY FTL's could talk to squad lead.

To give a more direct example of how the current implementation of fireteams doesn't work.  I was on a tank squad and everyone was a crewman split into 3 fireteams, and we all grabbed Abrams.  I was a driver and I was told to ONLY listen to the commander of my tank, and this instruction came from my SL.  Obviously this mean that using local chat would be the best way to go as long as you weren't next to the other FT's for them to have to hear your comms as well.  During play, we couldn't use the local chat in the tank because the noise from the tank was so loud that you couldn't hear each other without turning down the fx volume a TON, which means you then missed out on other critical sounds.  Because of this, everyone was using the squad channel which means you were hearing ALL chat, all the time, and it was insane.  Then, when we were in heavy battle, the SL started telling me where to drive, which I could hear because it came over the squad chat.  My commander was also trying to tell me where to drive, which was coming over local chat and was harder to hear.  Conflicting information came in, one loud and clear, the other not so much.  Long story short, it was a nightmare for our entire squad and we all got blown up.  After everyone was dead, the SL comes on and tells his other close buddies (who were the commanders of the tanks) "THIS is why we each need to be in our own squad, so that we can talk to each other directly and you can pass down the instructions to your tank crew over your own squad chat so they can hear you with less radio chatter from others.  Doing this as fireteams does NOT work."  Case in point, there flat out needs to be more radio isolation to reduce the amount of radio chatter that leads to more confusion.

When I play with my buddies, we use Teamspeak.  The beauty of this is that I use a 5.1 surround sound system (not headset) and then I use a singled eared headset for my Teamspeak comms.  When one of my buddies needs to talk to just me, they do so through teamspeak which is right in my ear and I can hear them over EVERYTHING, even if the local, squad AND SL chat are blaring AND there is a tank beside me going nuts.  Again, referencing back to the video posted above, I thought it was again interesting when they asked Drav if there would be anything done to help improve comm isolation?  His response was pretty lack luster, saying something along the lines of "we could maybe put the SL channel in one ear and another channel in another ear" but it was almost like he was saying this while JUST THEN thinking about it for the first time.  It would be very nice if the dev's would allow us to control which sound interface is used for different types of comms.  I can't be the only person that plays with external speakers and uses a small singled eared headset for Teamspeak?  Having the ability to move certain types of comms to my ear piece would be huge for times when I'm not playing with my buddies.

Again, the biggest problem I have with being SL is all the flippin radio chatter.  I will say that it would be INCREDIBLY helpful if the SL's would utilize the private comms more, but sadly, it's like few of them even know that's an option and the on-screen notification that it's private is pretty lack-luster.  I can't tell you the number of times I private comm'd to another SL (and let them KNOW it's a private comm and which SL number I am so they can reply correctly) and they just use the common SL channel to reply.  That just takes up more precious airwaves for other SL's that are also struggling to hear what's going on.

Well....We should add a role called "LT" and keep the "SL" role. increase the size of the squad to 10 players

1 officer (LT)

1 SL (Sarg/Gunny)

FTL and grunts to round it out.

Officer takes over high level / SL handles Tactical. Split the duties of the SL between the officer and the SL.

Or just give more responsibility to the FTL's, but I do agree...its hard to find good SL's as there is so much to do its more of a job than it should be.

17 minutes ago, skidmark said:

its hard to find good SL's as there is so much to do its more of a job than it should be.

Couldn't have said it better.

I don't enjoy being SL in Squad, I do in PS since there is less to deal with.