Sign in to follow this  
Stom

Shakeup Infantry Anti-Tank kits

Vehicle balance is a bit of a sore subject at the moment but whatever your thoughts I think it is a perfect time to look at changing the current infantry anti-tank kits and how they're distributed.

What I suggest is that LAT is moved from Fire Support to a single direct combat role and a single new Medium Anti-tank (MAT) role takes it's place in Fire Support. This suggestion also assumes that the Javelin is made ready to replace the current US/GB HAT kit with the AT-4 being reverted to pre-buff power and the TBG-7V Thermobaric RPG-7 rocket is ready.

The faction Infantry Anti-Tank roles would be roughly as follows:

US/UK
Combat Roles

-LAT(1 per squad): 1 LAW and 1 Frag Grenade.

Fire Support Roles

-MAT(1 per squad): 1 AT4 and 1 Frag Grenade.

-HAT(1 per team): 1 Javelin.

Russia

Combat Roles

-LAT(1 per squad): RPG-26 and 1 Frag grenade.

Fire Support Roles

-MAT(1 per squad): RPG-7 with optic, 1 HEAT rocket and 1 Thermobaric Rocket OR RPG-7 with optic, 2 HEAT rocket and 1 Frag Rocket.

-HAT(2 per team, 1 per squad): 1 RPG-7 with optic, 1 Tandem HEAT rocket, 1 HEAT Rocket and 1 Frag Rocket.

Militia

Combat Roles

-LAT(1 per squad): RPG-7, 1 HEAT rocket and 2 Frag Rockets.

Fire Support Roles

-MAT(1 per squad): RPG-7, 2 HEAT rocket, 1 Frag Rockets and 1 Thermobaric Rocket.

-HAT(2 per team, 1 per squad): RPG-7, 1 Tandem HEAT Rocket, 1 Heat Rocket and 2 Frag Rockets.

Insurgents

Combat Roles

-LAT same as Militia

Fire Support Roles

-MAT same as Militia

-HAT(2 per team, 1 per squad): Same as Militia OR 1 RPG-29, 2 tandem HEAT Rockets.

These loadouts aren't well developed but hopefully they convey the point. While this does appear to give US/GB less anti-armour power keep in mind that Russian/Soviet vehicles are mostly lighter than their NATO counterparts.

I think these changes would make squad compisitions more interesting by freeing one of the fire support slots and would give infantry a little more capability to engage armour without shifting the balance in their favour too dramatically.

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Stom

You have missed out the US Bradley which has mobile TOW.  I do agree it's hard for infantry vs MBT but I don't want the one hit kill for inf vs MBT.  I'm hoping the new expanded damaged models will force the armour to work more with inf. 

Dont forget the   FGM-148 Javelin Anti-Tank Guided Missile       

javelin-700x394.jpg

Once this bad boy makes an appearance I think its going to change gameplay.

3 minutes ago, Smee said:

You have missed out the US Bradley which has mobile TOW.  I do agree it's hard for infantry vs MBT but I don't want the one hit kill for inf vs MBT.  I'm hoping the new expanded damaged models will force the armour to work more with inf. 

Dont forget the   FGM-148 Javelin Anti-Tank Guided Missile       

javelin-700x394.jpg

Once this bad boy makes an appearance I think its going to change gameplay.

I did mention the javelin for US/UK HAT.

I'm not suggesting there should be any one hit kills for infantry, just slightly more capability and some more varied kits.

The actual loadouts for kits don't matter as much for this suggestion since they'll come down to testing, what is more important is freeing up a fire-support role for other kits to be chosen in vehicle heavy maps.

No the HAT for US is AT4 .  Not Javelin that's coming. 

3 minutes ago, Smee said:

No the HAT for US is AT4 .  Not Javelin that's coming. 

Please read the post.

I don’t really like the idea of portable missiles coming to INF. When all these countermeasures and tank killers come in, it will make the tanks feel more like BF tanks, that aren’t really beefy. If they are going to add Javelins, then they should first add countermeasures for things like that. I don’t think javelins are a good thing in the first place. TOW’s and Kornets are plenty. I do agree with your LAT/MAT placement though. I think instead the M72 should just be an option for one of the Riflemen, so you can have a total of 4 M72 riflemen per squad, (and they would have no frags as a trade off, and only an aimpoint.) This a little bit more realistic. And the AT4’s you should have 3 per team, one per squad. This way it would balance out the need for an infantry missile system.

Just now, nagasuru said:

I don’t really like the idea of portable missiles coming to INF. When all these countermeasures and tank killers come in, it will make the tanks feel more like BF tanks, that aren’t really beefy. If they are going to add Javelins, then they should first add countermeasures for things like that. I don’t think javelins are a good thing in the first place. TOW’s and Kornets are plenty. I do agree with your LAT/MAT placement though. I think instead the M72 should just be an option for one of the Riflemen, so you can have a total of 4 M72 riflemen per squad, (and they would have no frags as a trade off, and only an aimpoint.) This a little bit more realistic. And the AT4’s you should have 3 per team, one per squad. This way it would balance out the need for an infantry missile system.

For other factions it could be similar. For RU, just give the riflemen LATS a single RPG-26, and give the “MAT” a RPG 7 HEAT with frags.

Well you could balance the Javelin if you look at the real thing...

You would have to pull out your CLU and wait 2.5-3.5 Minutes to cool down the system, after that you may beginn to aquire your target to get a good lock on (more difficult at dawn and sundown maps), but you need to ready your missile first for that, the Seeker of the missile needs to be cooled down also, which needs another 10s but if you ready it to soon and can`t aquire a target you only have 4 minutes left befor the BCU runs out of power and you need to change it (and resupply it). Fire position could be chrouching only... Blast yield would be like the RPG 29, minimum firing Range 150m... (or 65m in Direkt mode but it wouldnt target the vulnerable top ofcourse)

7 hours ago, nagasuru said:

... If they are going to add Javelins, then they should first add countermeasures for things like that. I don’t think javelins are a good thing in the first place. TOW’s and Kornets are plenty...

Javelins are a tricky thing to balance for sure but the devs have stated many times in the past that they want to have as few vehicle one hit kills as possible I'm not too worried about it ruining vehicles.

With Component damage being expanded I'm expacting the Javelin will mainly damage components like turrets and ammo rather than outright destroy vehicles. There's also some potential systems like thermal vision for vehicles that will make conventional faction vehicles stronger and mean a fire-and-forget HAT isn't quite as powerful by comparison, this would mean that irregulars wouldn't have thermals that make up for the Javelin but I think it's fair to say irregulars aren't ever going to have strong vehicles when facing  conventional factions.

4 hours ago, Titan84 said:

Well you could balance the Javelin if you look at the real thing...

You would have to pull out your CLU and wait 2.5-3.5 Minutes to cool down the system, after that you may beginn to aquire your target to get a good lock on (more difficult at dawn and sundown maps), but you need to ready your missile first for that, the Seeker of the missile needs to be cooled down also, which needs another 10s but if you ready it to soon and can`t aquire a target you only have 4 minutes left befor the BCU runs out of power and you need to change it (and resupply it). Fire position could be chrouching only... Blast yield would be like the RPG 29, minimum firing Range 150m... (or 65m in Direkt mode but it wouldnt target the vulnerable top ofcourse)

I don't think Squad is interested in that sort of really specific level of realism, though the idea of only firing it when crouched could be alright. Having an extremely high ammo cost would be enough for me, something like 500-750 ammo points would mean you're not getting the Javelin constantly hitting every vehicle on the map.

7 hours ago, nagasuru said:

... I do agree with your LAT/MAT placement though. I think instead the M72 should just be an option for one of the Riflemen, so you can have a total of 4 M72 riflemen per squad, (and they would have no frags as a trade off, and only an aimpoint.) This a little bit more realistic. And the AT4’s you should have 3 per team, one per squad. This way it would balance out the need for an infantry missile system.

For other factions it could be similar. For RU, just give the riflemen LATS a single RPG-26, and give the “MAT” a RPG 7 HEAT with frags.

That's pretty much what I want except I was trying to design it with the current limitations of the kit system in mind. Talking to some people on Discord the perfect system would have individual pieces of equipment that have kit and squad/team size restrictions rather than the whole kit change system we have now, then you would customise your utility items based on need.

Edited by Stom