Zylfrax791

Fuel, Food & Water

Imagine these additional elements added to the game within the existing framework. So now the Logistics truck would hold build, ammo, fuel, food & water points. Vehicles would be on a timer and would need to refuel and likewise food & water would be directly linked to the distance and speed of the player tied to their stamina.

I think thats not needed or good for the game.Vehicles do not go that far or work idle for that long in a single game so that thy would need refueling.Tanks do have big operational ranges as other vehicles do as well i am sure the T-72B3 has 460 km range and with the two fuel barrels in the back his rage exstands to 700 km.

I do not know how big some maps are in km and all but i really do not think its nessesery or good to put in.

Same goes for water and its really funny to see it in Post Scriptum people getting their stamina or what not up for drinking.

Of course I understand that vehicles can operate for many hours and have ranges of hundreds of miles. That's not the point though. IRL there isn't a magic pillow fort that stuffs your brains back in your skull or reattaches your dismembered leg either is there?

Honestly if you think about it Fuel, Food & Water are actually really important supplies that are missing from the logistics paradigm. So from an overall logistics perspective just like FOB's with Ammo & Build points allow you to project power forward the realistic addition of these three items would make the system even more interesting and realistic.

Just an idea to make the game more tactical and strategic is all.

Edited by Zylfrax791

3 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Imagine these additional elements added to the game within the existing framework. So now the Logistics truck would hold build, ammo, fuel, food & water points. Vehicles would be on a timer and would need to refuel and likewise food & water would be directly linked to the distance and speed of the player tied to their stamina.

This is a stupid idea and to quote the principal in Billy Madison, " Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. "

This is a first person shooter game, not logistics quarter master supply manager.

Edited by PythagorasHP

I personally dont want to go into the realms of what Arma did and become a lifesim... but the importance of logistics is sadly ignored. 

51 minutes ago, PythagorasHP said:

This is a stupid idea and to quote the principal in Billy Madison, " Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. "

This is a first person shooter game, not logistics quarter master supply manager.

So essentially you're saying the existing logistics system is stupid as well? Personally I think its what differentiates Squad from every other pewpew on the market.

And honestly I've poked around in the blueprints a bit and I don't imagine it wouldn't be some game breaking change either. The vehicles would simply require an additional fuel variable and gauge plus the FOB itself would require the three additional variables to load the repair station with fuel and the ammo crate with food and water.

When it came to hunger and thirst those variables would be tied into the existing stamina/health blueprint. Of course I wouldn't go ultra realistic and make user die of hunger or thirst and vehicles empty of fuel could always limp back to a repair station or main.

I think it would really compliment the existing logistics system and make Squad even more of a thinking man's shooter.

Even better imagine a dedicated fuel tanker truck and the resulting explosion when you ambushed one? Also the whole fuel dynamic would really have an effect on the MBT's dominating the game currently.

I feel like that would be going too far and should probably be kept to mods/other games.

I don't like the idea. It would just be complicating things and provide no game value. In fact I think it would be a bit boring. Current system hits sweet spot of resource management. Ammo and build. Everyone can understand that. 

29 minutes ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

I don't like the idea. It would just be complicating things and provide no game value. In fact I think it would be a bit boring. Current system hits sweet spot of resource management. Ammo and build. Everyone can understand that. 

Well playing devils avocate here how does the existing system of schlepping a logistics truck across an entire map to build a fob/hab or tow provide value to the game? Nobody I know enjoys driving Logi.

What about the persistent ammo? Why shouldn't I have infinite ammo and respawn at predetermined spawns available all over the map? Why should there be a restritive logistics system in place anyway? Everyone should be whatever they want right, pick whatever role you want? Whole team of SAW's & HAT's seems fine right?

No. The existing system is there to guide and channel players to a specific style of gameplay. I just feel like adding fuel, food and water would actually enhance a system that's already in place that requires you to plan your strategy and tactics.

Well personal opinion here is if they improve the controls of the logi assets with analog movement of the wheels (i.e. support steering wheels and joysticks) then driving a logi or technical wouldn't be so bad. Hell it might even be fun B|. Give me some controlled drifting on Kohat or rally car racing on Kamdesh :ph34r:.

Nice b8, m8 :D

...but just incase you are serious:

Fuel yea maybe, to limit vehicles travel around behind enemy lines to long, but you would need to make fuel consumption unrealistically high, so its a no no for me.

And for Food/Water, befor you split up Munitionsuplies into this, you could split it up into munitiontypes (5,56/7,62/Granates/AT/...) and this would be a logistical nightmare (the FOB ran out of 7,62 there is only 5,56 left...) so your Food/Water is alredy integrated into the normal Munition ...just imagen everytime you resuply it containsis a canteen and a combat ration... make some adequit noises and you are good.

(for me the rule of thump would be, if i dont starv to death playing this game, my charakter also wouldnt ;) )

15 hours ago, Titan84 said:

Nice b8, m8 :D

...but just incase you are serious:

Fuel yea maybe, to limit vehicles travel around behind enemy lines to long, but you would need to make fuel consumption unrealistically high, so its a no no for me.

And for Food/Water, befor you split up Munitionsuplies into this, you could split it up into munitiontypes (5,56/7,62/Granates/AT/...) and this would be a logistical nightmare (the FOB ran out of 7,62 there is only 5,56 left...) so your Food/Water is alredy integrated into the normal Munition ...just imagen everytime you resuply it containsis a canteen and a combat ration... make some adequit noises and you are good.

(for me the rule of thump would be, if i dont starv to death playing this game, my charakter also wouldnt ;) )

Yes. 

Simple answer is more logistics stuff would be too complicated for newcomers. And old comers as well. 

Unless they do some sort of siege gamemode where a position is under siege and you have to supply it and shite whilst others hold it then I might be interested in fuel trucks and the like but for normal gameplay I think it just takes even more people away from the battlefield (something people already complain about with helicopters coming up and other vehicles). Too much of a hassle for too little gain, especially as the engagements in the game don't last literal days they last some hours so you're not going to be running out of fuel or food in that short a time as others have already stated.

Or thy would need to add the things you do in the bathroom like doing number 1or number 2 out in the open under fire or in the trenches.

41 minutes ago, deadstalker said:

you do not need food water or fuel every 30 min so this sounds very unneeded.

You don't create a mortar or a machine gun in the field with a shovel either. Nor do you materialize yourself from bookbags or pillow forts. My idea was more about the consideration of an overall logistics system like IRL. The thirst and hunger would start to kick in at 30 minutes tied to your stamina and health.

Its just simply a fun idea I had that I think would make Squad more realistic and unique is all. I'm perfectly aware that it would never be implemented however it does make people think about maybe enhancing the current logistics system in some way perhaps.