Jump to content
DanielNL

Squad and China/Asia, why is Squad so famous there?

Recommended Posts

What is it about the chinese, are they all soldiers IRL and the chinese army trains their soldiers in Squad? xD It's just that surprising since there were very few chinese Project Reality players back then, and now this game (Squad) seems to RULE the chinese gaming market! :) It's both awesome and surprising to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DanielNL said:

What is it about the chinese, are they all soldiers IRL and the chinese army trains their soldiers in Squad? xD It's just that surprising since there were very few chinese Project Reality players back then, and now this game (Squad) seems to RULE the chinese gaming market! :) It's both awesome and surprising to me.

Daniel you writing pieces for The Onion again lol?

 

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/squad?countries=CN

 

 

https://www.theworldofchinese.com/2017/06/top-7-video-games-in-china/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now let's look more detailed, "Top 7 milsims in china", surely Squad will be amongst theTop 3 ;)

And yes, that's 10 Squad servers in China alone! And STILL no Chinese faction mod in the works... come oooon chinese playerbase! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

China is a huge market that is on the rise in ALL gaming segments, including fps, mobile etc

 

This is more of a recent trend, was still only just taking off when PR was at it's height... Now in China the gaming market is really accelerating and playing catch up to the EU and US markets.

 

It is a fascinating trend, I don't think there is some conspiracy behind it though.

I think from the common Squad players perception, Chinese players have less integration and more isolation, probably due to language barrier and some of the Chinese internet laws, which as easily surpassed but does create a barrier to more integration into the rest of the international community.

 

I would absolutely love to see continued growth in Chinese Squad community and watch some organized Chinese rounds and tournaments, as well as modding community keen to introduce an Asian faction.

 

I think a generic "South Asia" faction would be easier to integrate into the main game than having a specific faction named China, but we cross that river if/when we get there :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, fuzzhead said:

I would absolutely love to [...] watch some organized Chinese rounds and tournaments, as well as modding community keen to introduce an Asian faction.

Damn, probably gonna end way too fast for us western-world players, like their chinese table-tennis, 10x faster than in our hemisphere xD In Squad maybe just the same, one big rush, flanking, and 1 hole team death after just 5-10 minutes... o_o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, fuzzhead said:

I think a generic "South Asia" faction would be easier to integrate into the main game than having a specific faction named China, but we cross that river if/when we get there :)

Why? They have pretty unique Vehicles and Weapons, they dont need to be spiced up with other equipment from different countries, i think.

So whats the reason then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Titan84 said:

Why? They have pretty unique Vehicles and Weapons, they dont need to be spiced up with other equipment from different countries, i think.

So whats the reason then?

We don't want to have Squad banned in China and lose the existing community we have I'd imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

We don't want to have Squad banned in China and lose the existing community we have I'd imagine.

So is there a law in china agains portraing the PLA in videogames?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Titan84 said:

So is there a law in china agains portraing the PLA in videogames?

yes, now that he mentioned it, I remember this...... I witnessed it on YouTube once, Battlefield 3, there chinese players play as USA faction vs USA faction (hilarious!!) instead of USA vs China... here you see the special DVD version I guess https://www.play-asia.com/battlefield-3-english-chinese-language-version-dvd-rom/13/704g46

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're using Squad as a training platform for the inevitable conflict of the Superpowers,like the US used DeltaForce 2 in 2000's... :D

 

Our Asian Brothers/Sister's can see, appreciate quality & greatness in Squad....We (West) our society have became Spoiled brats..:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OWI went to all the trouble to give them localisation in the game so I'd just leave it that and like fuzz said just make some clone faction and call it the such and such coalition not unlike the existing Militia faction. That way you've got a faction perhaps the existing community can identify with and yet not get banned in China.

Edited by Zylfrax791

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

That way you've got a faction perhaps the existing community can identify with and yet not get banned in China.

+1 Probably the best approach.. it's such a big potential market to lose out on by getting it banned because of China's government not wanting their army portrayed in any conflict where they could "lose"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hehe, it's also a huge population of people with growing access to quality internet and internet games. It's like when your parents discovered Facebook, but way cooler, because we actually want to play games together. =P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 12:20 AM, fuzzhead said:

I would absolutely love to see continued growth in Chinese Squad community and watch some organized Chinese rounds and tournaments, as well as modding community keen to introduce an Asian faction.

A recent clash between the top 2 CN clans:

Part 1: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av39636435?from=search&seid=1397773192922634125

Part 2: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av39636435/?p=2

Part 3: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av39636435/?p=3

Part 4: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av39636435/?p=4

Part 5: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av39636435/?p=5

 

BTW: It is generally recognized that in A12 you attack you lose.

Edited by Noobgamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol even Vimeo and Dailymotion, w t f... those are NICHE video hosts aswell, w t f. @Noobgamer do you know the uploader of those videos? Then I could upload them to YouTube for the rest of the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DanielNL said:

Lol even Vimeo and Dailymotion, w t f... those are NICHE video hosts aswell, w t f. @Noobgamer do you know the uploader of those videos? Then I could upload them to YouTube for the rest of the world.

The uploader of those videos is a clan manager of the SAGA clan's Squad division, which hosted the servers for those matches, so you would have to contact one of them. 

 

This is their page on the forum: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/28641-cn-saga-1-~-5/

 

PS: KSK won by about 10 tickets. Overall, SAGA had the stronger faction and displayed better team coordination, but KSK had a substantial numerical advantage in top-tier players.

Edited by Noobgamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool Noobgamer!! Great to see this as well as growing community servers.

Yes game balance is continuing to evolve :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16.1.2019 at 12:56 PM, Noobgamer said:

The uploader of those videos is a clan manager of the SAGA clan's Squad division, which hosted the servers for those matches, so you would have to contact one of them. 

 

This is their page on the forum: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/28641-cn-saga-1-~-5/

Ok I messaged "YYBL", hope he replies soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DanielNL said:

Ok I messaged "YYBL", hope he replies soon.

Last I heard, Xianyu was the one organizing all those matches for SAGA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Heatproof said:

I am not sure if I am seeing this right. One video of Squad has 10 million views and another has 8.9 million.

https://search.bilibili.com/all?keyword=Squad&from_source=nav_search

If the Chinese use the same numerical system as Japan (the character is the same), then the 万 character represents 10,000

 

So 8.9万 is 89,000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×