Sign in to follow this  
deadstalker

Tanks are to important for my taste at the moment.

Posted (edited)

I already made this post on Reddit but I will make a more complete version.

I lately realized how powerful unopposed tanks can be and how important the first tank battle can be for the next 30min of the game. the only good counter against a tank is an other tanks.infantry hold anti-tank weapons don't deal a lot of enough  damage to kill a tank they they can only be used to make them less effective by taking out components this gives tankers the ability to get very close with the enemy infantry. This allows them to take down FOB's this makes attacking very difficult if your team has the armor disadvantage. defence will also become a problem if the tanks get the possibility to clear out the objective if you build a good FOB this should not be a problem. ATGM's are the most effective at long ranges and but aren't really useful as a defensive tool since you need more than 1 shot to kill a tank you will probably get killed while reloading at close range.

my main problem with this is that 3 people have a very big impact if the fun of the 40 other people on the enemy team.

possible solutions are:

ATGM vehicles: A lot of vehicles currently in game have variants that can carry ATGM's these vehicles would work like a mobile ATGM FOB and can be used by the tank squad. the Bradly can sort of do the job but at the same time it needs to transport and support infantry and it only has 2 missiles what is very limited.

Buffing LAT and HAT: Make portable AT weapons more deadly at the side and rear of a tank they should not do a lot against the front. this will discourage tankers from getting to close to a FOB. make it easier to damage components and add more of them like tracks this will completely immobile the tank so if they get stuck inside the enemy FOB good luck repairing.

Attack helicopters: I heard people saying that attack helicopters should fill this role but I think they may be to powerful they can be countered by AA but what is going to stop them from sniping from 3KM away with ATGM's at the same time they will have very good anti infantry capabilities. 

Lower tank respawn timer: not all the nerfs need to be against tanks, tanks counter tanks so if you can get the counter out quicker the enemy has less time to use its tank against infantry witch is my main problem with tanks at the moment they get used as anti-infantry when they have no vehicles to shoot at.

buffing ATGM's: lowering the ammo cost for firing one but still not keep it high enough so it doesn't become a sniper rifle giving bigger FOB's a second TOW can be an option but only after it has spent an X amount of building points so it won't be an option to put to ATGM's on some mountain.  

I want to see tanks as an tool to kill other vehicles at short to medium ranges not to do WW1 like unsupported tank charges to disable enemy defenses so the cavalry can save the day. There biggest counters will be long range ATGM's and infantry hold AT weapons at close range and urban environments. 

Edited by deadstalker

Tanks right now are very strong yeah, maybe too strong? I'm on the fence about that, helicopters will be coming, which are incredible tank killers. More heavy AT options are also coming afaik, like the javelin. Right now, i feel like the main reason tanks are this powerful, is because squad leaders don't prepare for them even tho they clearly know that they're on the map. They never consider the fact that their own tanks can lose the fight, and what happens next is obvious.

On large open maps with tanks, ATGM emplacements are the absolute king, the key to winning a match is to hold back a little bit, don't just blindly rush towards the centre with the entire team, but stay back the nearest flag, and build emplacements. Not one, but at least three, there are plenty of logi trucks to help with that easily. After the enemy tanks are down, your team pushes on with your own tanks (they should not charge in at the start right away, let the infantry spot them first).

Basically the issue right now in my eyes is not the fact that tanks are this powerful, because they should be, but that people simply do not know how to deal with them, or they think they know, but mess up by sticking to the good old "rush the central cap" meta.

I usually stay back with my squad, ask every other squad leader to share any info they have on the enemy at all times, and encourage the infantry to work with the tanks. Infantry can easily hide from a tank right now, people should use that, spot the enemy tanks, and then let their own tanks move in.

@Guan_Yu007has some very good advice but I think we have to admit that in pub games vehicle crews usually aren’t that competent. I think tow vehicles would be a good balance like OP suggested and also add more variety to the game.

All we can do is keep enouraging people in public games to adjust their plans, it's working pretty well for me so far, but probably also because it's a bunch of squad leaders from my group on both teams.

I think the limit of heavy AT / Team should be changed to 2-3 that would keep tanks at a distance to FOB. Cause a single heavy AT guy who is currently on the opposite of the map isn't helping at all.