Posted (edited)

The suggested features list (in order of importance);

1 - Reverse prone (ie, lay on your back)
2- Prone rolling (belly down to belly up)

3 - Weapon resting
4 - Emergency reloads
5 - Staged reloads

6 - Sprint dive and/or sliding

The explanation:

1 - Reverse Prone (lay on your back)

Being able to lay on one's back side  is tactically advantageous in certain situations. It's a good way to get out of the way of bullets or team members in a jiffy, or get low while putting a bullet in that tango that just ran around the corner into your face. Being able to roll from belly down to a belly up position means you can check your six and stay low to the ground.

2 - Prone rolling

Obviously in full combat gear with a pack, rolling around like Solid Snake isn't feasible. However, being able to roll halfway or 3/4 means a soldier has room to look between his feet (6 o' clock) or to the side (3/9 o' clock) without having to reorient his entire body in an awkward shuffle or magical rotation. Even when wearing a pack, one could still roll onto their bum faster than getting up into a crouch.

3 - Weapon resting

We all understand that running a kilometer and steady aim do not go together. That's why rifles have had such long forends or "handguards"; A soldier rests his rifle. This is why shooting in the prone is so stable. If you see a boulder, window sill, tree or other stable surface then you rest your weapon in order to get a good shot. Muscles alone aren't that great at holding a bead on a 200 meter speck.

4 - Emergency reloads

If you're in trouble and out of ammo, it might save your butt to just drop that empty mag on the ground and focus on getting more bullets on target. Any ammo left in that mag is left behind, but thirty rounds is ten times more than three (and you might need that extra ammo to survive this encounter).

5 - Staged reloads

Remember that time you had to cancel a reload animation (right at the last moment) to knife some fool, only to return to a replay of that reload you just nearly completed? If you drop your rifle mag then need to quickly draw your secondary, your rifle shouldn't have a magazine still in it when you return to your reload. One step of the reloading process was already complete, but the single animation sequence has to complete in order for the reload to complete. I propose a much more convoluted, complicated, sophisticated, technically complex system of staged reload animations for small arms in Squad. Not just for "realism", but tactical depth and quality of life.

6 - Sprint diving and/or sliding

Being able to slide or dive into cover is a great way to get low and get to cover quickly. It's also fun and really cool.

Thanks for reading! Hope we see some of these features in the future.

Edited by monosaccharide

Interesting! Those things will enhanse the game in a very interesting way. I hope it's gets implemented!

Some good ideas here, probably won't be easy to implement but i sure hope we get something like thing eventually.

Game already has weapon resting.

We'll give you Dolphin Diving plus throw in Bunny Hopping and Turbo Sprint free of charge however it'll only be a class in the Insurgent faction with an AK and you'll only get 2 spare mags stuck in your back pockets...

40 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Game already has weapon resting.

The game everyone is playing sure doesn't have weapon resting like I'm talking about.

Posted (edited)

I would like to add that these features have all been done in other games in the current Unreal engine (with the exception of weapon resting). That's how I know that I personally like these features.

Edited by monosaccharide

Posted (edited)

I only have 5 fingers so not sure how many I would need for all this rolling....!

BUT agree although said before many times, weapon resting would be good and the collision with objects is not the best.

diving no.. it was taken out because of sprint/diving shooting...if it was to come back in then shooting should be disable in that motion

these fast reloads have been discussed before.. Im not in favour.. its just a janky way to speed up reload for the hip fire boys.

Edited by embecmom

I like the ideas about prone rolling and reverse prone but I think it's just going to add a lot more keybinds to the game and in the end it'll be something like Arma which is what Squad doesn't want to be IMO, also I wouldn't want it to be. What makes Squad different is the simplicity of its gameplay yet with a high level of realism. But it would be interesting to see the opinion of the DEV team on this matter. Maybe it can be implemented in a much simpler way than I imagine. 

1 hour ago, fidanym said:

I like the ideas about prone rolling and reverse prone but I think it's just going to add a lot more keybinds to the game

I don't think you really need more keybinds for it, look at Battlefield 5, as shit of a game that is, the movement system is pretty solid with a minimum amount of keys.

23 hours ago, monosaccharide said:

The game everyone is playing sure doesn't have weapon resting like I'm talking about.

Squad has always had what you refer to as "weapon resting"... The terminology used is "Focus". It was always linked to sway, recoil, stance, speed, fire mode and ADS and in v10 it got a major overhaul which fine tuned it by linking it to your stance plus walking or running which directly effects stamina regeneration. All of those elements form a dynamic system that seems quite realistic to me.

I get your idea though. Essentially you want all non-bipod weapons to have invisible bipod stability which doesn't seem very accurate to me as the entire system that is already in place gives your weapon stability when you stop, go prone and regenerate stamina.

The Wiki describes the entire system in greater detail.

The reverse rolling, as in spinning while prone without teleporting your legs through objects?

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, fidanym said:

I think it's just going to add a lot more keybinds

To clarify; WW3 does this with double tapping A or D in prone to roll onto one side. Admittedly it would add more complexity though.

5 hours ago, Thegreenzzz said:

The reverse rolling, as in spinning while prone without teleporting your legs through objects?

Yes! Although collision would probably have to be reworked somehow so players aren't poking their heads through walls like their feet.

Edited by monosaccharide

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Essentially you want all non-bipod weapons to have invisible bipod stability

That's not what I'm talking about. That's an assumption. Basic rifle doctrine dictates resting the weapon on a horizontal surface or pinning it to a vertical surface with the off-hand. It takes no stamina or breath to let gravity or weight stabilize your rifle.

If you've ever played Red Orchestra 2 or Rising Storm 2 you've used this feature in a video game. If you've ever handled a firearm, you have rested it on something.

A bipod is far more effective at stabilization than resting a small section of a firearm on a small section of a surface. It's not like resting an FAL on a table welds the two together.

I'm interested in passive aiming stability, not BS laser-like firing stability like bipods currently have, where you can let loose shot after shot with no loss in stability.

Edited by monosaccharide

13 hours ago, monosaccharide said:

That's not what I'm talking about. That's an assumption. Basic rifle doctrine dictates resting the weapon on a horizontal surface or pinning it to a vertical surface with the off-hand. It takes no stamina or breath to let gravity or weight stabilize your rifle.

If you've ever played Red Orchestra 2 or Rising Storm 2 you've used this feature in a video game. If you've ever handled a firearm, you have rested it on something.

A bipod is far more effective at stabilization than resting a small section of a firearm on a small section of a surface. It's not like resting an FAL on a table welds the two together.

I'm interested in passive aiming stability, not BS laser-like firing stability like bipods currently have, where you can let loose shot after shot with no loss in stability.

Arma has the resting I believe