Sign in to follow this  
Smee

Slipping and sliding

Not enjoying the amount of sliding that's with the present alteration. Know this is a working sliding, but really seems too much. :( 

13 hours ago, Smee said:

Not enjoying the amount of sliding that's with the present alteration. Know this is a working sliding, but really seems too much. :( 

Seems quite realistic to me honestly. When's the last time IRL when you were driving somewhere and thought "you know what, maybe it would be quicker to drive down this river or perhaps over this thicket filled ridge instead?"

Sorry been driving on Norwegian roads full snow and ice at 70 mph without sliding.  Not an issue. On Belaya  a bit of snow and your sliding everywhere at 30 kph. Not everything is sliding IRL, if i got stuck get the winch out or the dig the vehicle out, oh no I need to jump up or down on the tyre. :)

This is feedback. I'm not enjoying the amount of sliding. Everything is drifts now, and IRL it's not about sliding everywhere, just feels like too much everywhere.

22 hours ago, Smee said:

Sorry been driving on Norwegian roads full snow and ice at 70 mph without sliding.  Not an issue. On Belaya  a bit of snow and your sliding everywhere at 30 kph. Not everything is sliding IRL, if i got stuck get the winch out or the dig the vehicle out, oh no I need to jump up or down on the tyre. :)

This is feedback. I'm not enjoying the amount of sliding. Everything is drifts now, and IRL it's not about sliding everywhere, just feels like too much everywhere.

agreed... lived in Sweden for a time and those guys used to drive at speed without a worry! scared the crap out of me!

It depends mostly on the tyres. Without proper Winter tyres you aint going anywhere with a truck on ice and snow. And a tracked vehicle with steel tracks... I would be scared to Death at 30 mph on an icy road.

Ive been driving ore and log trucks in N sweden for several years so i have some experience with trucks on icy roads and if you know what you are doing and have good tyres its not too big of a deal although the snow chains are frequently used. Trucks driving on Winter roads are also frequently equiped with "sand boxes" so they can deploy sand under the tyres:

Lagkrav på sandspridare vore en bättre lösning

So the amount of sliding in the game is not unrealistic at all.

Considering the fact that on Belaya if you keep your vehicle on the roads you don't slide at all it seems quite realistic that you only start sliding when one or more of your tires leaves the road spline and touches the actual map surface. The actual mechanism for it is defined in the material instance. You get pretty much the same slipping effect driving in the river bed and dry creek beds in Kohat as well now.

Personally I think it could be increased greatly but it would probably hurt the appeal of the game if it got too realistic.

Posted (edited)

Nah. The Minsk is ridiculous atm. If you drive it on the road bank and there happens to be a small slope you almost loose the damn bike. 

This doesn't mean that wheeled vehicles should climp 45 deg. slopes in winter maps at full speed, but at least some (like the minsk) is really not resembling good balance. 

Edited by WARti0k0ne -BG-