danielritual

We need more maps!

11 minutes ago, Irish(Tx) said:

No more of the boring, flat, NO COVER maps. We need maps with micro-terrain. Not maps for tanks. 

Every time a tank map comes up in the rotation, I switch servers. Friggin hate the new maps for tanks.

Nothin to hide behind but a sand dune. Are you kiddin me?  And people want to add IR to that?

Kamdesh has plenty of micro-terrain and cover. Do you like that map?

On 1/3/2019 at 5:53 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

Kamdesh has plenty of micro-terrain and cover. Do you like that map?

Kamdesh is a step in the right direction. But they need to do more pass-throughs on all their maps to add more cover and concealment. 

Trenches, craters, blown-out vehicles and such. I know they've added a little of this to a couple of the maps and hopefully will continue to add more. 

I'm just saying, I think THAT is what this game needs MORE of. Not flat, open terrain, fun-killing Tank-maps like Tahlil.  

I'm not at all sure why this is an either / or situation. It is entirely possible to have a map in which both play key roles and in which both can operate, even if this means they have some areas in which the others can't really go without danger. That's as-is anyway.

There has been discussions as to reduxing kamdesh (yes including the roads) there's multiple things id like to adjust with that map.

We also have afew new maps in the process which will either be released soon or shown in future recaps.

And the possibility of making some modded maps official.

When we create a new map we look at what is it, what purpose does it have and even why are we fighting here.. 

We need to cater for choppers / tanks / inf with most if not all our future maps, we cant focus on just making a map centered purely around just one of those... it can favor one tho.

Thanks for looking in on this. You'll know I know you from previous! Hope you can understand the appetite for new maps; this is good news that there are more coming along as I'd expected.

I mean, Talil has massive amounts of cover for infantry around most objectives imo. Yeho does aswell, aswell as Belaya.

Kamdesh has a nice feel to it. I'd leave the road system alone. What it really needs is the trees to be redistributed in a more randomized fashion with more concentrated clusters and then also open clearings that would allow for sight lines across the map for armor and tows. Also I feel like the central village area should be dramatically increased in size with some newer buildings added as thats where the battle always seems to be. Both Belaya and Kamdesh were described as being "isotropic" by another member and these changes could solve that maybe.

no we need better maps

kamdesh is a steaming pile of shit and the devs need to stop wasting time making forest pixel hunts (please hire a competent map designer)

alternatively just port maps from PR because those are the most popular for a reason

2 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

no we need better maps

kamdesh is a steaming pile of shit and the devs need to stop wasting time making forest pixel hunts (please hire a competent map designer)

alternatively just port maps from PR because those are the most popular for a reason

Insults and uninformed generalities will get you everywhere!

Try providing some constructive criticism. Why do you not like certain maps. Be specific. 

Alternatively, just make the ideal map yourself. It's free, and so easy!
https://squad.gamepedia.com/Squad_SDK

6 hours ago, Grey said:

Insults and uninformed generalities will get you everywhere!

Try providing some constructive criticism. Why do you not like certain maps. Be specific. 

Alternatively, just make the ideal map yourself. It's free, and so easy!
https://squad.gamepedia.com/Squad_SDK

I just said why they're bad and provided a solution

get your IQ checked please

Think what you want. You could very clearly have said what you did in a far more reasonable and polite manner, and seem to have mistaken denigrating the efforts of the devs for constructive solution finding. I'd imagine that making pointless personal insults isn't really helping; that seemed pretty needless and baseless.

1 hour ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

I don't think you'd do well here on these forums, or anywhere in general, with that way of handling things.

2 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

You were very general and the solution was just an attack on the devs...(hire some competent map designers)...Then you attacked someone else...I can see your making friends in the community quickly o.O. I would suggest popping smoke and try finding some cover for awhile. Go play some PR.

I'm not really concerned with making friends or making sure the devs feelings are intact, this game needs more people willing to criticise it

the solution is to port the maps 1:1 from PR, I'm not sure what else you think needs to be said

Wanting to make friends or not, making no attempts to even consider how others perceive you is rarely something that has a positive effect in any situation. It's simple courtesy, maturity and social skills. It may not concern you, but there's no reason to be rude to others or to present an idea in an offensive way when it could be made more profoundly and convincingly with an alternative approach. You undermine your point, valid or otherwise, by immediately appearing like someone whose opinion is not likely to be well-considered. Your choice, though.

As for porting maps, I will address this: it is, as usual, not so simple. First, the designs, artefacts etc. associated with each are subject to some form of intellectual or otherwise legal considerations, regardless of whether it was a commercial project. Even if they weren't, it would be good practise and fundamentally advisable to ensure permissions etc. exist, and where they do, profiting from something that was designed by someone who will now not profit? Well, it all gets a bit dodgy.

Further to this, the engine is so different that the 'port' process would in fact necessitate a complete rework, from modelling to texture work to the finer granularity of terrain etc. It's a huge undertaking, particularly when trying to increase fidelity to modern standards, and most would indeed expect this. The maps are also fundamentally different in PR given considerations such as the draw distance / fog differences, as well as the large size possible in later generation maps. That still isn't on the table in Squad at present - and it means that maps simply wouldn't play the same, thus needing more work to maintain a feel or playstyle or whatever else make the map 'popular for a reason' - and in doing so, the original map may have to be changed somewhat beyond recognition. In the latter case, it's clearly advisable to simply use some of the best PR maps as an influence rather than a direct parent.

Edited by TheRed
typo

I'm not really concerned with making friends or making sure the devs feelings are intact, this game needs more people willing to criticise it

the solution is to port the maps 1:1 from PR, I'm not sure what else you think needs to be said

Criticism is more than "thing sucks, make better," and "just port maps from PR" is not a solution (hint - if it were that simple, it would have been done long ago). I gave you a link to one real solution. Be the change you wish to see in the world.

And maybe give the whole caring-about-others thing a try sometime.

Anybody that knows me is acutely aware that I'm no shill for Squad or the devs. I was banned here once and I'm currently permabanned on Steam for drunken shitposting as well. That said, your trash talk seems to lack any originality or substance and instead relies on generalizations and crude obscenities. You should probably tone it down a little and work on some specifics maybe.

1 hour ago, Grey said:

Criticism is more than "thing sucks, make better," and "just port maps from PR" is not a solution (hint - if it were that simple, it would have been done long ago). I gave you a link to one real solution. Be the change you wish to see in the world.

And maybe give the whole caring-about-others thing a try sometime.

my criticism was more than that and I'm not seeing why maps just can't be ported from PR seeing as multiple already have been

27 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Anybody that knows me is acutely aware that I'm no shill for Squad or the devs. I was banned here once and I'm currently permabanned on Steam for drunken shitposting as well. That said, your trash talk seems to lack any originality or substance and instead relies on generalizations and crude obscenities. You should probably tone it down a little and work on some specifics maybe.

I'm not trash talking

Yes I'm crude but so what, I'm right too

3 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

Right about what? You've yet to even make an actual valid point or argument. Did you skip out on debate class in high school or something?

Take for example your statement: " kamdesh is a steaming pile of shit"...

What does that even mean? I mean seriously... I watched the Twitch streams of it being made and I think its actually kind of unique. My own personal criticisms of the map have to do with the fact that there's way too much uniformity in the terrain, there's way too many trees spread evenly across the map so you can't use any of the big boss weapons effectively that make the game fun and plus there's no big central village for big showdowns.

Those all seem like valid criticisms to me without all the toddler potty talk.

Again, work on coming up with some specific criticisms maybe. Is there anything you actually like about the game if I might be so bold to ask?

Edited by Zylfrax791

4 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

my criticism was more than that and I'm not seeing why maps just can't be ported from PR seeing as multiple already have been

So you didn't bother to read my post that directly addressed this, then. 

6 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

I'm not trash talking

21 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

12 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

No maps in Squad were ported over from PR. Squad has maps like Fools Road & Al Basrah that were inspired by the PR maps, and made from the ground up - Not ported, it's impossible to port from PR to Squad, due to major differences in technology/engine, scaling as well as asset differences. Everything has to be made from the ground up.

The mappers making these maps, also have/are helping with remakes of the PR maps. Kamdesh will be getting a redux sometime in the future, as stated by ChanceBrah above.

People are welcome to have opinions, as long as they're constructed and delivered in a respectful manner. If you want to continue to be insulting or crude, and pass that off as criticism, then that won't get you very far and will result in you not being able to use these forums. There's rules for a reason.

On 29/12/2018 at 1:43 PM, danielritual said:

I think developers should focus more on new maps!
That leaves a less cloying/tiring game is the amount of maps and the random flags system.
In the reality project we have 56 maps including small variations of terrain, this caused the game to be played for years and years.

How many and which maps are to be OFFICIALLY released soon for the squad?

Project reality Map gallery:
https://www.realitymod.com/mapgallery/#!/

thank you , for the thread , Brazilians are very competitive, we need many more maps

Edited by infamousplayer