danielritual

We need more maps!

I think developers should focus more on new maps!
That leaves a less cloying/tiring game is the amount of maps and the random flags system.
In the reality project we have 56 maps including small variations of terrain, this caused the game to be played for years and years.

How many and which maps are to be OFFICIALLY released soon for the squad?

Project reality Map gallery:
https://www.realitymod.com/mapgallery/#!/

First optimization before anything and 100 players then maybe a few maps but  people are having issues running this game .  if u can't run what's the point on having new maps if you can't even play it.

Edited by maze2

You'll find posts from me encouraging this as well - I truly believe longevity and diversity are hugely helped by simply having lots of maps.

However - I am also aware that the engine and the contemporary detailing, artistic aspects such as modelling, texturing etc., are far, far more involved now. Greater fidelity and less established assets to recycle simply means that maps today take far, far more effort and man hours than those in PR. I have no doubt that the devs essentially agree that the more maps the better, to a large extent. There are very few negatives about having loads of maps, provided they are all of at least a decent quality. Maybe not all need the same levels of polish, but all need to meet certain standards, for sure. And this means that resource is the key factor. I am very hopeful that they are very active indeed in incorporating mod community maps or improved versions of them etc. but even this has complexities in terms of commercial aspects, seeing as PR wasn't a paid product. Still - I personally think this should be a major initiative sooner rather than later to keep players engaged. I hope, once some of the core stuff is close to final, that we will see a few more maps come out in a shorter timescale. But you really should understand the huge task mapping is nowadays and over this scale.

It's only fair to acknowledge that there are already 14 maps in the game. These may well have taken the man hours to do most or all those in PR already, though I for one would like to see an eventual number of 30 or so.

Also, on the way are Fallujah and Skorpo, for sure.

I'm also going to assume that there are at least 2 or 3 others in the works that we don't know about - there are a few devoted mappers, after all, though I'm sure they are seconded into other things. Still - some of the mappers had previous projects that may be quietly ported over, I suspect. So there is room for optimism.

3 hours ago, danielritual said:

In the reality project we have 56 maps including small variations of terrain

Yeah, but that's after how many years of development, over 12 now?

Another good point, yeah. To counter that, equally, that was a project done voluntarily in free time rather than as a paid commercial one. Either way, though, given what's been stated so far, it is entirely understandable that at this stage that the map count is lower.

It was also done by way more people, for a mod that was built on a completely finished game. Afaik it also takes less time to create maps for PR since you don't need to detail it as much.

I do, yeah, this guy wants more maps, since PR has 56 of them, and Squad 16 atm in full release if we count Skorpo and Fallujah.

All i'm saying is that it was probably easier to create a lot of maps for PR than it is for Squad. Since in Squad you'd need to take performance into consideration a lot more, some maps will be much bigger, and naturally, they're much more detailed overall. Not saying that making maps for PR was easy or anything, shit mapping tools are a big issue with the old engine.

According to this logic of using the same old tired template of making PR act as a benchmark wedge to somehow leverage your argument that Squad should have a particular feature or attribute one could easily turn this perspective completely around and judge PR couldn't one?

Essentially you could do this by going over to the PR forum and telling them that you think they should re-make their entire game with a new engine because it looks so dated and horrible and of course re-make all their maps to non-cloying/tiring versions.

You should suggest they use Cryengine, Unity or Lumberyard as well.

I mean seriously.

Squad v12.2 has 15 maps and 95 layers if you include Jensen's.

Yes we want more maps included, but it does take time. Besides the maps we have developing in house, would be great to include quality maps from the modding community to fill out the roster.

1 hour ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

I do, yeah, this guy wants more maps, since PR has 56 of them, and Squad 16 atm in full release if we count Skorpo and Fallujah.

All i'm saying is that it was probably easier to create a lot of maps for PR than it is for Squad. Since in Squad you'd need to take performance into consideration a lot more, some maps will be much bigger, and naturally, they're much more detailed overall. Not saying that making maps for PR was easy or anything, shit mapping tools are a big issue with the old engine.

As I said above:

However - I am also aware that the engine and the contemporary detailing, artistic aspects such as modelling, texturing etc., are far, far more involved now. Greater fidelity and less established assets to recycle simply means that maps today take far, far more effort and man hours than those in PR. I have no doubt that the devs essentially agree that the more maps the better, to a large extent. There are very few negatives about having loads of maps, provided they are all of at least a decent quality. Maybe not all need the same levels of polish, but all need to meet certain standards, for sure. And this means that resource is the key factor. I am very hopeful that they are very active indeed in incorporating mod community maps or improved versions of them etc. but even this has complexities in terms of commercial aspects, seeing as PR wasn't a paid product. Still - I personally think this should be a major initiative sooner rather than later to keep players engaged. I hope, once some of the core stuff is close to final, that we will see a few more maps come out in a shorter timescale. But you really should understand the huge task mapping is nowadays and over this scale.

;) - so yes, we agree!

24 minutes ago, fuzzhead said:

Squad v12.2 has 15 maps and 95 layers if you include Jensen's.

Yes we want more maps included, but it does take time. Besides the maps we have developing in house, would be great to include quality maps from the modding community to fill out the roster.

Yep. We do know it takes time, I think, most of us. I just believe it really would be a big advantage to keep people going with it, to roll a few out, even in a beta form.

Edited by TheRed

I rather them work on the current maps for a couple of sprints. A lot of little bugs, glitches, object placement issues, ambient background work, lack of details, etc. that, if fixed, could breath a new life into the current rotation.

More maps in the long run would be great of course. Can't do everything at once though.

How constructive. Not the point of this thread! We've already mentioned incorporating community maps.

Disagree with you ironcomatose. Thing's can be polished forever bit moody maps are now in at least a decent state, essentially. I'm sure some will be revisited extensively,  as Yeho was, and the call for new maps doesn't exclude improving the others where needed! 

12 hours ago, disposableHero said:

https://squad.gamepedia.com/Squad_SDK

Want more maps? Get to work.

Been there done that and done with it. Once made they end up on a shelf gathering dust. As nobody takes time to get to know them or test them... I rarely see a server running a community made map. Did not check recently. Would be suprised if there are plenty out there running them.....

Edited by Drecks
Silly me.

Be nice if some of the custom mad maps could actually get intergated into the game, so far that has no been the case,   and it seems to me the RAAS versions are all most always the capable are in the same place from last time it was played and never "random"

Swan, some maps in the same started as community maps. Not many make the transition do far, however, for at least some of the reasons of quality and resource outlined above. They have stated, at least, that they'd like to do more of this. 

As for Drecks, yeah.. it would be nice to have a more defined pathway to get these played. It could also inform which maps become popular enough to warrant possible incorporating..?

In addition, Talill is a great new map with plenty of potential for many new layers and variations plus some serious room for many more little villages and hopefully the addition of the missing Zigguraut of Ur. Also, whomever redid Yeho and Kohat did a fantastic job. I really like it when the existing maps are improved. I'm really looking forward to an overhaul of Fools Road and Chora at some point.

Funny really.  For a long time Chora was the most developed, or one of. I still think it's ahead of fools road but perhaps it can be updated some time too. I'd still prefer new maps as I consider it decent as is, but the proof is in the pudding, I must say, as Kohat, for an age,  was my least liked by a margin. Now I think it's one of the better ones in many ways.

Edited by TheRed
typo

Chora is cancer. They need to delete that map along with Gorodok. Its just not up to standards anymore. It plays and looks ugly.

3 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Chora is cancer. They need to delete that map along with Gorodok. Its just not up to standards anymore. It plays and looks ugly.

Well, I suppose its a matter of opinion. I've had a lot of fun & memorable matches on both Goro & Chora. Actually as far as ugly goes I would prefer it if all the levels got much lower textures and greatly reduced triangle counts in order to maybe improve the performance because honestly coming from the Delta Force community I prefer that dodgy look and feel like Squad is more about the substance of the actual interaction between folks rather than being an eye candy game.

If want to play something elegant looking I'd get Skyrim mods or Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Performance has continuously improved; be fair! I don't think it's a case that to have decent team focused large scale experience,  graphics have to be hugely pared back. A it's 2019 uh 18...

5 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Well, I suppose its a matter of opinion. I've had a lot of fun & memorable matches on both Goro & Chora. Actually as far as ugly goes I would prefer it if all the levels got much lower textures and greatly reduced triangle counts in order to maybe improve the performance because honestly coming from the Delta Force community I prefer that dodgy look and feel like Squad is more about the substance of the actual interaction between folks rather than being an eye candy game.

If want to play something elegant looking I'd get Skyrim mods or Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

maybe you should try PR?

Posted (edited)

No more of the boring, flat, NO COVER maps. We need maps with micro-terrain. Not maps for tanks. 

Every time a tank map comes up in the rotation, I switch servers. Friggin hate the new maps for tanks.

Nothin to hide behind but a sand dune. Are you kiddin me?  And people want to add IR to that?

Edited by Irish(Tx)