Thegreenzzz

Forests

Anyone notice how crappy the forests are in this game? In really life traveling a forest requires skills, like path finding or the ability to keep your bearings. Also the ingame forests are very thin real forests have brush/scrub and are very hard to see though. I was thinking that have thicker forests would give infantry cover from various threats. For example “oh shoot! A tank, squad move the the northern forest and let’s wait it out. 

I think you'll find much of this is performance consideration and engine limitation. Not saying it can't be worked with to create certain things but there's a balance between ensuring the core can run the game smoothly and the number of things having to be rendered etc. This is obviously a far bigger issue with 80 players than 1, and big maps with long sightlines and action throughout. The best I've ever seen woodlands done is Kingdom Come: Deliverance, but case in point, it's single player and a single map rather than many to be worked on. Still loses definition at range but  that's to be expected. It's an impressive achievement. Then again,  I believe their heavily adapted version of CryEngine was fundamentally originally more specifically geared towards outdoor environments etc. Bottom line is these things are complex and not easy to achieve. I actually think we'll probably see new maps with improvements in this regard anyway. Look at Tallil vs First Light. It's very clear the mappers have learned a great deal and, rightly,  haven't settled for the fidelity of three years past. There will be tricks they'll learn etc, I'm sure.  Even sinple things like populating woods more densely on the perimeter, or carefully manually placing trees and flora to limit sightlines etc,  can help. 

Edited by TheRed

Posted (edited)

At least it is thicker than what is in BF, where is no forest at all. :D

Best forest / jungle in any online multiplayer game I have seen have been in Joint Operations from Novalogic 2004 (at smaller maps due the asset /engine/ server limitations (128 were nominal maximum players per map)), combined with dynamic time of day and thick grass and scrubs with some form of "alpha blending" to dynamically camouflage the player model when out of view distance in this in house engine ... oh my... At there the bush were so thick that you almost couldn't see you tip of the rifle. Of course now 14 years later it doesn't look that impressive, but the thickness and density are still there, needles to say that were just literally amazing back in the day (and still is atleast superb compared 98% of "forest and grass" implementations).

Squad have nice vegetation areas in some maps and I assume it will get better with overall optimization when other parts are fully implemented. 

1042676593.jpg

https://www.gamepressure.com/games/view_screen.asp?ID=18375

PS... To OP yes please, better forest with scrubs, please. I need my claustrophobic enemy at skin dose. :D

Edited by WARti0k0ne -BG-

ah Warti', nice screenie for reference -so lushness ;)  - is that a climbable tree in front of you? damn i wish we could still play JO - now where did i leave my MP5-s...

to the OP: i also wish i could lather on the foilages to a realistic level, but when i do the frames don't like it at all (grass is the worst), and that's just me running around my map in the SDK, not served pub game and apparently that matters :P

13 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

ah Warti', nice screenie for reference -so lushness ;)  - is that a climbable tree in front of you? damn i wish we could still play JO - now where did i leave my MP5-s...

to the OP: i also wish i could lather on the foilages to a realistic level, but when i do the frames don't like it at all (grass is the worst), and that's just me running around my map in the SDK, not served pub game and apparently that matters :P

There must be some major (obvious) problems with the implemented system with lack of trickery  (smoke and mirrors) to optimize the output and still fooling us to believe it draws individual leafs of the trees.

24 minutes ago, WARti0k0ne -BG- said:

There must be some major (obvious) problems with the implemented system with lack of trickery  (smoke and mirrors) to optimize the output and still fooling us to believe it draws individual leafs of the trees.

The "smoke and mirrors" in UE4 is the LODs (level of detail) and I think OWI does a good job balancing the quality of the textures and polygons you see versus something like Kingdom Come Deliverance on Ultra HD. Certainly you can go to Quixel Megascans and remake the maps in 8k textures and increase the LOD viewing distance but maybe 5% of the community could even run it on low.

Posted (edited)

Agreed. My system isn't insane but I have found the performance to consistently improve, so I think they're doing a decent job with it.

Edited by TheRed

1 minute ago, PythagorasHP said:

Rising Storm2: Vietnam has some very good jungle/ forest maps.

Too bad its a cartoonish looking meatgrinder fps with non-stop suppression...