SPECTR_Eternal

[WIP] Operation Homestead (Vanilla/Custom Assets)

IamwjMS.jpg

Project name: Operation Homestead

Location: Highlands of Scotland (After hard discussions, the lore location can change due to my desire to create a specific landscape,

which might not represent the real-life location location)

Size: 8x8km

Teams: Russian Ground Forces vs. US Army/British Army

Gameplay: Long-range vehicular combat, heavy focus on infantry mobility, a large number of objectives

Download link: unreleased

Description:

Operation Homestead is a vehicle-focused large-scale map designed for long-range engagements across vast and numerous farmlands, plowed fields and mountainous ranges of Scotland.

Inspiration was drawn from a desire to see more vehicle-focused map in Squad.

With a great amount of land, comes a great responsibility for infantry play. The map is planned to feature two main bases for each side of the conflict, providing lots of vehicles to deploy, ranging from the lightest anti-infantry vehicles like Russian BRDM-2s up to the heaviest vehicles currently in the game in the face of Main Battle Tanks.

Vehicle gameplay is planned to be supported not only by two main bases to come back to for repairs, but also vast and reaching road system across the region, giving vehicles easy access to vantage positions.

Infantry will find themselves gravitating towards abandoned military installations, civilian settlements, and farmlands full of natural cover and trench lines, created by those who were here earlier, providing much-needed breathing room from constant vehicle pressure.

JOXA2BX.jpg

GMFg5R5.jpg

NDh44BX.jpg

zuAQ45W.jpg

aAZHns3.jpg

Edited by SPECTR_Eternal
Change of plan regarding the lore lcoation of the map

Like the idea.  Please consult a local as part of your project! E.g. I'm not dadding in an expert and maybe there are places saturated with large iron water towers,  but I know Scotland well enough to assure you that this doesn't represent the general 'feel'. Get some custom heather made,  thistle etc,  for starters. I quite like the flower growing but again, I don't believe it's very typical in the highlands.  Maybe in Holland. The real challenge, one that would really make it or break it, is getting that dramatic, beautifully lonely terrain right. 

There aren't really cities as such in the highlands. There are more scattered villages and small, grey towns, but they tend to have distance between them of at least a few miles. Farms are somewhat more common but still not everywhere in the region. You might find the odd castle or something, highland estates - this could be a nice thing to have for a unique and memorable aspect. You would definitely expet to see rivers and small bodies of water in valleys, too.

I hear you people. In fact, chances are I might change the lore location of the map simply because of the fact that what I already imagined as my target goal and what I already made out of pure passion for creation (LMAO, it is a thing for real) didn't really hold up to my own source material (being my friend's tour photos) and peoples expectations.

Also, being a poor student, buying assets isn't gonna work, and I'm not sure that I possess the skills required to make them myself just yet (holiday season might actually be a good time to start learning).

Edited by SPECTR_Eternal

Hey - my feedback was only constructive. There's only one way to learn the SDK stuff and that's to keep plugging away. I understand it's entirely easy to get drawn into little creative cul-de-sacs and lose a kind of wider perspective! Don't worry about expectations, just keep trying. Get on the Discord as there are plenty of people who are helpful there, and others who - if asked nicely - are happy to create new assets for you in collaboration. The only thing I would say is be prepared to spend far longer than you predict on something if it is going to be polished, and be prepared for the possibility that your first map might never see the light of day. Treat it as a learning experience, and if it keeps gon track for a release, great. That's just how it is. Keep going! There's plenty to like there already.