Sign in to follow this  
Keebler750

Smoother/faster editor experience - hardware?

I'm just trying to poke around a bit in UE4 and 3DS MAX after working in UE3 for the last four years. I'm aware of the hardware requirements for Squad....I've got an i7 4790K, GTX980Ti, 32GB RAM and an SSD plus other drives on Win7-64. Just sitting in the editor looking at a BTR80 window mesh has me using 22GB of RAM.

Everything seems incredibly sluggish and I know that can be kinda normal but ...since you folks have been using this for a while, does anyone have any system tweaks that make a difference? (I'm not opposed to hardware expenditures, just wondered what tricks might be around.)

This is my first post so........   :)

I just loaded Tallil_Outskirts in the editor in 35 minutes plus mesh distance fields which still aren't done after an hour. I maxed out my RAM usage to the point where there was 0 MB free of 32 GIGABYTES! I'm running two page files totalling 100GB, half on an SSD.

Surely this isn't what I can expect using this SDK, is it? I feel I must be doing something wrong.

Also, are there PATH considerations for assets? I notice a lot of errors finding assets on load of stock maps.

this is interesting, i don't know what i'm doing wrong either.

post-V12 SDK update i had it using all of my 8GB of ram - opening anything crashed the editor - which is sub-optimal.

so, i go buy myself 32GB ram - wtf, its xmas, buy meself a pressie! install the 32gb,

and i get this:

_______

QUOTE:"Glad i went all the way to 32GB, instead of just upping to 16GB.

Nothing opened:

Squadv12_ram usage

Very basic map loaded:

Squadv12_ram usage_basic map loaded

not really sure what it needs all those 17 GB for.

;)"

______

now, second time i loaded it up it used only about 8'ish ?!<shakes-fist>

last time i loaded it it was sucking down 23+GB !!!!???

and yes, loading of "stock" maps seems to take forever.

the first-time-after-starting-SDK load of any map or asset takes way longer than it should.

for some reason compiling MutableSoldier takes 2-3 minutes (tho i think it's to do with needing to recompile 60+ child BP's each time as well, so, there's that)

oh, and the fact that the SDK uses 107+GB of disk space - didn't know about this one till i started running low on disk space :P

Thanks for the reply! I will admit that I'm pretty impressed the editor didn't crash when I was bouncing off the rev limiter with ZERO free RAM (of 32GB!)

I want to get into some mapping, asset creation and some blueprints/C++ but I'm concerned I'll be sitting there 90% of the session waiting for the machine to respond! :o

yeah, i walk away and make a cuppa most times it happens - which is not 'often' and usually related to particular files as I've described above, but is highly annoying none the less - but don't get put off too much; maps i've made dont take anywhere near as long to load, albeit they are smaller in both size and asset load.

re-compiling of Shaders when mapping (foliage work, etc.) can be a bit annoying but aside from that it runs very well.

So...can you or anyone answer my original question(s)? Is there anything I'm doing wrong or that I can improve? I'm near optimum recommended game setup for Squad, but what about editor hardware requirements?

On 12/29/2018 at 8:34 PM, Keebler750 said:

So...can you or anyone answer my original question(s)? Is there anything I'm doing wrong or that I can improve? I'm near optimum recommended game setup for Squad, but what about editor hardware requirements?

The SDK is simply UE4 with some proprietary code. Your system easily surpasses the specifications listed at Epic. That said, the levels are absolutely packed to max with assets, splines & foliage thus taking a long time to initially load.

After the first map loads in turn off game mode, turn settings to low, create a new blank map called "blank" or "test" and then set this as the default map that the editor opens with.

Now with the blank map loaded open up that BTR mesh and you should notice a big difference.

Just FYI from what I've read the entire game will be converted to UE4.21and then at some point a new SDK will probably be released with a new interface called Modding 2.0. Honestly, I'm working on all my projects in vanilla UE4.21 in anticipation of that instead of the deprecated editor.

Roger that. So new hardware would only gain me a few minutes instead of it suddenly becoming 'zippy' to work in on the stock maps. I figured they'd be good to learn in, but the resource use is nuts! :S 

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

@Keebler750: i had task manager up whilst trying to load a stock map (Kohat - trying to work out why AAS is broken for me). i usually don't expand processes but decided that because i had unexplained memory usage ...

SDK_memory usage_loading Kohat

ive got video of the cpu usage cycling up and down from 100 to the low teens - it's really weird.

also shows the extra ram usage i couldn't explain - (the 11,968,4..(12'ish GB!)) , and also the shader compilers.

the above pic is 'normal' (for this loading), except the cpu usage fluctuation, oc.

just checked whilst typing this: loading finished at about the 30 minute mark. also getting the odd alarm buzzer sounding (not sure what it is though - no obvious cause). about 15 minutes into Distance Field Mesh calculating now (using 14GBram) - 60-odd done, 300 to go ...

EDIT> i gave up about 10 minutes later after the alarm sounded again, and ended the process.

Edited by LaughingJack