Croweater

This should be at the top of the fix list, but it's in every release of squad I've ever played.

We lost a cap, so 2 squads loaded into a truck to go and secure it.  But, our transport hit a 1 1/2" pine, and got stuck , holding us all up.  We lost the game because the truck glitched into a tiny tree.  I'm sick of this.  

I appreciate this awesome game, and I love the new features you've added in each build, but glitching trucks should have been on the TOP of the fix list many builds ago.  It's time to fix this game-ruining bug.

201812181154471.jpg201812181155031.jpg201812181155081.jpg

That is a mighty Oak you’re stuck on that’s why! 

And its a game feature not a bug 

yeah it’s ****ing annoying AF 

I think I'd rather my 10 t truck demolished that poor little shrub, but hey even just removing collision would be nice lol.

How about the crappy engines in the trucks that can barely climb an incline. 

Or the anti aliasing...

Plenty of issues and all you can hope for is at some point they care enough to fix it.

19 hours ago, Oscar Juliet said:

How about the crappy engines in the trucks that can barely climb an incline. 

Or the anti aliasing...

Plenty of issues and all you can hope for is at some point they care enough to fix it.

Have you played recently? The most recent hotfixes addressed issues causing the gearbox simulation to ignore RPM limits, which was in turn limiting the torque to the wheels in low/starting gears. Things may not be perfect just yet, but the impact should be GREATLY reduced.

Anti-aliasing will likely get more work as we continue into beta. Right now, our big goals are 100p players, choppers, and commander. Overall efforts include optimization, some improvements to Steam/joining games, and engine updates, which may also get us some gains. It's worth checking out the most recent recap, if you haven't: http://joinsquad.com/2018/12/04/november-2018-next-phase/

Optimization and bug fixes become A LOT more easy to do when we're done building major systems, like tanks, components, or the animation overhaul we did back around alpha 9. I've found it often helps to think of Alpha as ordering the LEGO kit; you've got a lot of really cool pieces, a lot of awesome plans, but a whole lot of work to do before it looks like a house. Once you have the house, you can start thinking about what furniture goes inside, how many flowers you need, and if you want to populate it with the space mini-fig, or the medieval one... which may be stretching the metaphor a bit. =P

Any word on tank gearing or whatever? I've found it very odd,  barely able to crawl up modest inclines still. Also had some strange box issues with it switching from 3 to 4 to N etc.  Clearly not helping matters.  Is this just me? I know physmats are in but surely a tank should be able to effectively power up a small field,  asphalt or not?

3 hours ago, TheRed said:

Any word on tank gearing or whatever? I've found it very odd,  barely able to crawl up modest inclines still. Also had some strange box issues with it switching from 3 to 4 to N etc.  Clearly not helping matters.  Is this just me? I know physmats are in but surely a tank should be able to effectively power up a small field,  asphalt or not?

If I’m thinking correctly, tanks have large engines and tracks creating a lot of torque so they shouldn’t get stuck very often

Indeed. That's what I mean. Driving an Abrams the other day I literally took about 3 minutes to crawl up a small incline, and I have no idea why. I'm sure it can't be meant to be that way, and I'm not even sure others are having that issue. It was ridiculous, and yes, I know about pressing shift to hold a gear - nothing seemed to help!

As gamey as it is, I like the Reset feature in PS over the brain damage of getting stuck on twigs and small stones in Squad. I'd love to see a replacement for both at some point in the future. 

I'm torn on that.

It's clearly stupid when a tank gets stopped by a shrub, yes, we all agree. I hope that the foliage deformation that has been long mooted will one day be incorporated for vehicles, too, meaning anything but trees (and yes, I know tanks can wreck many trees too, but there's a reasonable compromise to be made) can be ploughed through easily in an Abrams!

Reset buttons, though: I'd like to think that eventually this can be ironed out, or some other lovely solution gracefully applied. I quite like the concept that taking a risky route can leave you stranded and a sitting duck, or that it can mean you lose use of the vehicle. It's a realistic dynamic to add when making movement choices. Clearly, though, if these things occur when they really shouldn't, as is the case fairly often now, it's a pain. I sort of like the idea of being able to tow vehicles off, or some other 'half cheat' where a crewman can deploy something like.. I don't know, a jack or something.. that actually basically resets the vehicles clipping with statics for 15 seconds or so. Essentially still a gamey cheat, but one that would not represent a complete teleportation. For me, that's too much. Don't get me wrong, I've been on the end of this as well plenty, most recently with an Abrams track deciding to merge with a wall for a few minutes.. but actually, I quite liked the 'feeling' of having got stuck and being a bloody easy target if we were found for a while. The challenge to get it off was quite fun and a proper relief to achieve, quite a cool immersion thing. But I do wonder if something like the idea above isn't actually fairly elegant.

I'd think t'd be easy enough to change the instant Reset button mechanic into a more prolonged affair, where you jump out and while looking at a certain spot on the vehicle, click "Tow" and it slowly moves over a couple of feet. Repeat until clear.  Or something similar. That way, getting unstuck would take enough time to be very annoying, and also dangerous, so you'd be more careful. As it is now in PS, Resetting is too quick and easy to care about getting stuck that much. Add in damage when crashing into things, and drivers would be more careful. 

I think drivers should be able to self rescue, I'd hate if the game turned into a driving simulator with recovery vehicles.