Xeinar

Navigation map, tactical map and my position in the area

I don't like the fact that the two map layers are not aligned anymore with my position in the area since A12.

In the past I used to open the tactical map (the one where placing SL markers and deciding the spawn) most of the time, and the navigation map only when driving or for a quick glance during action. They were all the time centered on my position so I could quickly understand my surroundings and in case move them and zoom in/out.

Now they stuck on the last position you opened them the last time and are not even synchronized between them, so if I have to check the navigation map I have to move it, and then if I want to open the tactical map I have to recenter it as well. And this happens all the times I move elsewhere and I need to look at the maps, again and again.

Can we at least have an option to autofocus both the maps on our position when opening them?

I personally think the maps opening up exactly where you left them and also zoomed in as well is a great feature. The previous system of snapping to your position and losing your zoom level drove me crazy.

The solution for you might be to leave the maps zoomed out at all times maybe.

have to admit Ive struggled at times with the new maps ...but everyone talks about how unrealistic fobs and rallies are... yet no one complains about the magic radar map that gives you any information you want ...  So to open a can of worms... why not just remove the ability for players to see other squads on the map... and actually rely on communication and icons more... I would keep the view of your own squad to stop the lone wolf running off and you have no idea where he is...

We're not done building the command map, so it's behavior is likely to change a bit to accommodate the tools that will use it. We realize it mostly feels like a duplicate map right now, but that should change pretty soon.

On 12/17/2018 at 2:18 AM, embecmom said:

yet no one complains about the magic radar map that gives you any information you want

It's more or less simulating Blue Force Tracking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Force_Tracking

As the article points out, we've gotten civilian tech like Find My Friends and live-GPS updates from Google Maps in a similar fashion. Makes you wonder what the heck they're up to in the secret labs these days.

Which may or may not have had roots in the Future Force Warrior program, back when the US was really getting big into networked warfare. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Force_Warrior

Pretty cool tech working off of GPS and been around long enough that it fits Squad's modern combat timeframe pretty well.

On 20/12/2018 at 7:05 PM, Gatzby said:

We're not done building the command map, so it's behavior is likely to change a bit to accommodate the tools that will use it. We realize it mostly feels like a duplicate map right now, but that should change pretty soon.

It's more or less simulating Blue Force Tracking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Force_Tracking

As the article points out, we've gotten civilian tech like Find My Friends and live-GPS updates from Google Maps in a similar fashion. Makes you wonder what the heck they're up to in the secret labs these days.

Which may or may not have had roots in the Future Force Warrior program, back when the US was really getting big into networked warfare. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Force_Warrior

Pretty cool tech working off of GPS and been around long enough that it fits Squad's modern combat timeframe pretty well.

Ill hud ma whisht......

:)

I let you look that one up in the Scottish dictionary...

The reason we can't remove tracking is because all that extra communication would add another layer on top of the actual tactical communication SL's already fail at due to inexperience.  Real soldiers have hundreds of hours of experience in communication before entering the field, and then hours of prep time to go over maps and plans before battle, and even firefights in real life are way more slow and cautious.  In game, we're effectively using half-baked rookies for all our communications in a super fast-paced environment.  We need the training wheels.

And yes, having an options toggle (or hotkey?) for auto-recenter would be nice.  I miss it dearly, especially with the heavier use of vehicles and how difficult the new map UI makes it to see your own downed body.

Edited by Skidborg