Sign in to follow this  
Elektro

Add a startup procedure for Helicopters

Aircraft are relatively complicated vehicles to operate compared to land based vehicles. Despite this a lot of new players are attracted to the idea of operating them, but very few of them take the time to read the manual and practise before jumping in on a live server. 

Helicopters and aircraft in general are vital for a team and losing them due to new players jumping in, crashing them and then leaving the server will take a toll. You have to wait 10-20 minutes for the next one to respawn, you lose X amount of tickets and you lose the ability to resupply and transport squads around the map. If any of you have played Project Reality you already know this happens quite frequently. But now imagine in a game like Squad where even more casual players flow into the game. We should try to avoid the loss of helicopters and aircraft as much as possible.

I suggest adding a startup procedure to turn on the engine of the respective aircraft. This startup procedure will be detailed in the manual along with more information on how to operate the aircraft. If a player takes the time to read this section of the manual, in order to turn on the aircraft he will be a lot more likely to actually have practised and know how to use the aircraft. A better alternative would of course be a sort of 'training' system, that won't allow you to operate a vehicle before you've completed some challenges but developing this would require a lot of ressources and time from the developing team. The start up procedure is a lot more cost-efficient for the team. There will still be people who can read up on the start up procedure without having practised operating the aircraft, but it will limit a lot of cases where people just jump straight into the aircraft. I apologize if this has already been suggested, I tried searching but didn't find another thread on the matter.

Why stop at just an engine start proecedure?

Why not have prestart checks, system checks, rotor or no rotor brake start checks, postengagement checks, mission and weapons system check list too? 

Why not have to break out a PCL and do a full pre-flight of the helicopter? Hop up on the HYDs bay and poke around with all the primary servos and hydraulic pumps, and then clamber over to the engine bay and check all the sensors and PDIs to make sure none of them popped. 

This game isn’t a simulator, a complicated startup procedure is incredibly frivolous. Project Reality handled it perfectly fine, take 30 seconds or so for the engines to fully spin up and the rotors to hit their full rpm before you can actually take off and begin flying. There’s really no reason to make it any more convoluted. 

Edited by Dockside Bars

I want a start up procedure before I deploy as infantry. Check my shoe laces, adjust my helmet, make sure my zipper is pulled up, etc.

56 minutes ago, Dockside Bars said:

This game isn’t a simulator, a complicated startup procedure is incredibly frivolous. Project Reality handled it perfectly fine, take 30 seconds or so for the engines to fully spin up and the rotors to hit their full rpm before you can actually take off and begin flying. There’s really no reason to make it any more convoluted. 

The problem is that in Project Reality a lot of helicopters were lost, especially on the more casual servers. This could easily ruin the game for a lot of people on that team. Squad has an even larger influx of casual players and as of that reason a lot more helicopters will be lost due to people entering them without having read the manual and practised first. The 30 seconds for the engine to warm up lead to a lot of lost helicopters due to people simply spamming thrust before the helicopter was ready. A startup procedure would work as a sort of point of entrance. If you don't know how to turn the helicopter on, then you can't fly it. If you take the time to read up on how to turn on the engine in the manual, then you will probably read about other important elements on flying the helicopter in Squad. Is there a 30 seconds warm up? Should you wait before thrusting up to not crash the helicopter immediately? This will ultimately result in a lot less wasted helicopters.

The procedure itself doesn't have to be a milsim realistic, it could just be holding down the Q or T button and then hitting two-three commands in a correct order. Turn on primary switches -> Perform engine checks -> Turn on engine. The point is that if you figure out that much you've been exposed to some information regarding the flying. From the manual, from a video or from someone else who knows how to fly it and thus there will be a higher probability that you also know about things like the helicopter having a 30 second warm up time and thus you shouldn't spam the throttle during this period or the helicopter will crash immediately. This will result in a big reduction of lost helicopters for teams on every server and thus improving the gameplay for the infantry and the team as a whole. 

if added a startup procedure should be automated. ( single switch to start/ shutoff)

If people wanted to self startup an aircraft like in IRL they would go play DCS not squad.

Edited by kev2go

I can't wait for heli's to hit... Everyone will quit playing in locked 2-3 man armor only squads. They should implement staged Armor and Helicopters...

You have to have at least x number of lower vehicles to enable Tanks.

You have to have at least x number of transport helicopters to enable gunships.

aAllow only mixed armor / infantry and mixed helicopter / calvary. Or force Tank / Helicopter squad leads to be on foot as infantry,

21 minutes ago, kev2go said:

If people wanted to self startup an aircraft like in IRL they would go play DCS not squad.

13 minutes ago, Fosty said:

No to complicated startup.

Again, I'm not suggestion a complicated simulation style startup. However, I am suggesting a simple startup method that will prevent people who've not spent the two minutes necessary to read the manual section regarding helicopters once  or alternatively watched a video guide on how to fly before flying on a live server. 

18 minutes ago, Fosty said:

Yes to your training idea.

A system where the player has to complete some challenges before being able to fly on a live server would be ideal, but it would require a lot of time and energy from the development team, which they probably don't have available in the near future.

Interesting idea... Could be done on some other way too: you need to have commander online (once included) to approve heavy assets. Or approval of majority of SL, something like voting system.

18 hours ago, Elektro said:

Aircraft are relatively complicated vehicles to operate compared to land based vehicles. Despite this a lot of new players are attracted to the idea of operating them, but very few of them take the time to read the manual and practise before jumping in on a live server. 

Helicopters and aircraft in general are vital for a team and losing them due to new players jumping in, crashing them and then leaving the server will take a toll. You have to wait 10-20 minutes for the next one to respawn, you lose X amount of tickets and you lose the ability to resupply and transport squads around the map. If any of you have played Project Reality you already know this happens quite frequently. But now imagine in a game like Squad where even more casual players flow into the game. We should try to avoid the loss of helicopters and aircraft as much as possible.

I suggest adding a startup procedure to turn on the engine of the respective aircraft. This startup procedure will be detailed in the manual along with more information on how to operate the aircraft. If a player takes the time to read this section of the manual, in order to turn on the aircraft he will be a lot more likely to actually have practised and know how to use the aircraft. A better alternative would of course be a sort of 'training' system, that won't allow you to operate a vehicle before you've completed some challenges but developing this would require a lot of ressources and time from the developing team. The start up procedure is a lot more cost-efficient for the team. There will still be people who can read up on the start up procedure without having practised operating the aircraft, but it will limit a lot of cases where people just jump straight into the aircraft. I apologize if this has already been suggested, I tried searching but didn't find another thread on the matter.

I fly fixed wing IRL and honestly I don't think this is a good idea at all. Simply making the rotary assets really difficult to fly should suffice.

1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

I fly fixed wing IRL and honestly I don't think this is a good idea at all. Simply making the rotary assets really difficult to fly should suffice.

How will simply making rotary assets really difficult to fly limit the amount of assets lost due to people jumping straight into them on a live server?

I would argue that if you intend to make them really difficult to fly, it is even more important that people read or watch a short guide before jumping in on a live server.