Etunalucas

What should I upgrade to get better performance?

Hi, this is my spec:

i5 2400

amd radeon r9 280x matrix platinum

Wd blue 1 TB 7200rpm 64mb

8GB 1600mhz ddr3 ram 

And first of, the game takes very long time to load (8 mins just to join a server) and the thing is that I get 80-90 fps, but the game stutters so much so for example... I’ll spawn and just as I press walk or turn the cam around the game “freezes” in a frame

So my question is, what should I upgrade to make the “freezing” go away? 

Your gpu is sufficient, but i'd start adding some ram. Total of 12 should be sufficient, ddr3 ram isn't that expensive and easy to place.

Then i'd probaly do a cpu upgrade, since it's under minimum specs and squad needs good single core preformance.

8 minutes ago, oTec said:

Your gpu is sufficient, but i'd start adding some ram. Total of 12 should be sufficient, ddr3 ram isn't that expensive and easy to place.

Then i'd probaly do a cpu upgrade, since it's under minimum specs and squad needs good single core preformance.

Yeah, gonna upgrade to 16GB... tho I can’t rly upgrade the cpu due to my mb (not many supported cpu on sale)

The easiest way to improve the micro stutters and freezes would be a bit more ram and investing in a 100-120gb ssd and put your OS, page file and squad on there, 

I'd definitely upgrade the CPU first and foremost, that is a major bottleneck of performance. Then Double the RAM. But there is still no guarantee that will be the solution, Ideally, a new Mobo(DDR4, and a socket that supports an i7(Or go with a new Ryzen setup)), new cpu and new ram with an SSD is what you should be saving up for.

whats the highest tier i5 thats compatible with your current mobo? that might be sufficient, along with 16gb of ram.

Cheers.

This calls for a new CPU, which calls for a new MB and DDR4 RAM. I doubt this is a case where you can just upgrade one pc part, you'll probably be way better off going all-out.

22 hours ago, Serp403 said:

I'd definitely upgrade the CPU first and foremost, that is a major bottleneck of performance. Then Double the RAM. But there is still no guarantee that will be the solution, Ideally, a new Mobo(DDR4, and a socket that supports an i7(Or go with a new Ryzen setup)), new cpu and new ram with an SSD is what you should be saving up for.

whats the highest tier i5 thats compatible with your current mobo? that might be sufficient, along with 16gb of ram.

Cheers.

My mb is LGA1155, so the highest tier i5 are 3570k and i7 3770k

From what i've read, the i5 3570k didn't offer much more performance Processing wise, it offered a boost to graphical calculations, but with a graphics card it would be pointless. I recommend the I7 if you decide to go that route, and 16gb of new ram, not just another 8gb stick of what you got, they likely   wont work well together. My overall recommendation is to do some research on what you would like to upgrade to next, and save for that. when i built my current rig i wanted to make sure i could upgrade it in the future a few times, so it had a longer lifespan.

Cheers!

The big issue is what ever you buy it is already old tech, you can try and get the latest but new always on the horizon.  If you get more than 4 years out of hardware then your doing well. i5 3570k is seven years old.  More ram and an SSD will make it feel better but not sure your get much performance from squad as thats CPU based. Does your MOBO board allow you any wiggle room.