Gatzby

November 2018 - Squad's Next Phase

Transport helicopters are awesome news! Great news. The whole game will change. Its time to reconsider spawn points (especially rally points) and make this game more tactical and realistic. In PR 's larger maps, helicopters is one of the most important things to transport supplies and infantry. Great news.

12 hours ago, embecmom said:

Ic an already co-ordinate with the rest of the squads directly... there is no need for a commander to tell me to do what I can already discuss witht he rest of the squads... nothing about shitty attitutde its just simple mechanics of the game... the role is one to support the squads not tell them what they should be doing ...  

my squad need me for a rally and communicating what other squads are doing ... what is the commander role going to do...?  tell my squad to go to x and defend? why?  I can already decide that for my self if its needed... do logi runs? 

The role is similar to a team manager, it's to guide the team in a cohesive direction, and keep a focus on the macro while team members are able to focus on their micro tasks while also contributing ideas/feedback to the macro plan. 

My team of 8 members at work (software/network engineers) is comprised of some very bright people and we could probably function without a team-lead or manager, but decision making would end up being a far longer process and various members would have their own ideas about what tasks should take priority without taking into account other aspects. That's why it's nice having a central entity to take all the disparate ideas and work and codify it into something meaningful towards the overall objective given to the team. 

I assume you don't go to work or start a new job and walk in thinking: "I wont be following some numpty manager or worse still, a egotist with Patton esq grandeur ..."

As for what the commander role can bring to the table, just upon initial introduction the following is planned:

On 12/5/2018 at 1:13 AM, Gatzby said:

Features we are aiming to roll out on introduction are:

• Making use of the new Command UI to facilitate giving orders and keeping track of your team.
  • Airstrikes, artillery barrages, offensive fire support capabilities.
  • Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), non-pilotable high altitude observation for the Commander.

That means support capabilities for the team, as well as an eye-in-the-sky that the squad leaders will not have, giving much better battlefield situational awareness and access to information that an individual squad leader on the ground or even several cooperating squad leaders wouldn't easily be able to garner. 

And just as a final point, you mention later in the thread:

6 hours ago, embecmom said:

I just hope there is no ability for the 'commander' to restrict the squads somehow.

Because trolls exist in the world, I do agree with your opinion, but I think on the flipside, giving the commander the ability to reward squads that are working well with the team and following orders or giving feedback on why they will go with a different strategy, will be a good idea. 

Absolutely fantastic work so far guys, i cannot wait to see what the future holds for Squad and look forward to every step of the journey.

looking forward for this 12.1 three weeks later edition xD

7 hours ago, Psyrus said:

I assume you don't go to work or start a new job and walk in thinking: "I wont be following some numpty manager or worse still, a egotist with Patton esq grandeur ..."

7 hours ago, Psyrus said:

No because im that guy ;)

however this is a game and whilst I want to have coordination / teamwork etc I also want to have fun first and foremost so the role cannot demand of squads and players something that is not fun... I understand what the role could be and should be ... anyway its not worth discussing more atm until we get more details.  If its something along the lines of PS then its workable..although thats still pretty useless role.

Registered just to say it looks AMAZING. You are taking a massive carp on EA and Battlefield by adding the commander mode. ;)

This is what Battlefield was supposed to be.

A lesson for EA; You can't kill the modding community. It only grows stronger.

On 12/5/2018 at 6:50 AM, DirtyBeets said:

With helicopters on the horizon, any updates on supporting track IR or any head tracking?

Nothing firm. Some of our devs like to mess around with it, and it may work in some capacity, but it's not a priority at the moment. We may re-evaluate that after early access however.

bought in 2015 solely for heilos.  Please ensure HOTAS support.  

On 5.12.2018 at 11:19 PM, Gadaffi said:

Transport helicopters are awesome news! Great news. The whole game will change. Its time to reconsider spawn points (especially rally points) and make this game more tactical and realistic. In PR 's larger maps, helicopters is one of the most important things to transport supplies and infantry. Great news.

"Transport" Helicopters ,Man "vehicle squads" never transport troops,they think Tanks are snipers on tracks and use them with that mentality,most "vehicle squads" have no idea what APC stands for.Nothing will change,they will use the Heli to have a sniper in mid air and no transporting will be done

7 minutes ago, Exionas said:

"Transport" Helicopters ,Man "vehicle squads" never transport troops,they think Tanks are snipers on tracks and use them with that mentality,most "vehicle squads" have no idea what APC stands for.Nothing will change,they will use the Heli to have a sniper in mid air and no transporting will be done

You mean the mechanized infantry squads that i often see in European servers? Pretty sure thats a good way to use them.

A big performance upgrade would be great! Also lower the pings or bring out a patch for servers too!!

Thanks guys! You are doing great!

The develepers decided 2017 with the change of the Adminstration Guidelines to take the freedom from squad leaders to make there own decisions away and at the same time gave the admins a absurd amout of power actualy a blank check: " Admins are free to kick/ban anyone that they feel necessary to protect the integrity of their server and community as long as this does not interfere with other administration guidelines " which means absolutly enyting.

In 2018 this is resulting in admins threatening squad leaders to be kicked and even kicking tham when thouse SL arent playing the objective ! Like there is only one objective at a time ? Usely there are three or atleast two but never one, which means thosue people dont know what they are talking about.

But the Adminstration Guidelines change did more than that it changed the game form a multipular comand to  a singupular comand structure. This is a problem because there is no place for expirienced SL because the singupular structure dosent alow the freedom of decision which is the only again the only reason that thouse  expirienced SL are leading squads it the first place. Thats why you can find so many expirienced players complaining that they arent gatting the same expirience as before and are saying that the game compleatly changed in 6 monts. What did you expect when more and more SL who before provided you with that expirience are more and more leaving the game becuse they dont get the freedom you dont get the gameplay. 

Literally no clue what the guy above me is talking about. I've never been kicked from any server while squad leader, nor have i ever kicked other squad leaders for "not playing the objective", it's not too difficult to communicate and talk with eachother.

On 05.12.2018 at 7:02 PM, Hokunin said:

That heli is Mil Mi-8MTV5 with ramp of Kazan helicopter plant, and judging by the presence of LCD screens in the cockpit, its an export version for Afghanistan, China or India, but its cool, Russia might update and include LCD versions to its own army too in future anyway.

That's a good and very accurate point, sir!

I'm dying to hear A10's in the background 9_9

Edited by Lio