Sign in to follow this  
kev2go

Tank Interiors addition

in squad regular wheeled vehicles such as technical, and military Utility transport vehicles have full interiors  but Tanks do not.

are there going to be any added for added immersion?

other combined arms or even Infantry focused game have done so.

Like ArmA 3. ( the AAF tank was basically a leopard 2a7)

Or Red Orchestra 2 

Edited by kev2go

I hope....some day.

In RO2 and ARMA you get into the tank....

In Squad you BECOME the tank.... I think it´s a bit dull for such a good game. 

Still….not a priority for me... but i´d love to see it some day

Yeah, I definitely think this would be badass, its annoying being slaved to a certain view all the time, seeing that the tanks have so much potential for an interior. In terms of gameplay, i can't see this adding any real benefit, but it would certainly add to immersion and its definitely something I want to see.

• First of all, tank interiors are immense performance hogs.
  • Second of all, tank interiors are really freaking labour intensive.
  • Third of all, many military vehicles have no refference material to make an interior out of because of either classified information due to modern day operations or other reasons.
  • Fourth, the vehicles that have interiors now are not complicated, it's a driving cabin or the back of a truck. And thus not as labour intensive but it would be damn strange if you didn't have it. Meanwhile in a tank you mostly focus on things through the periscope and thus you can justify using the periscope as the main viewing port.
  • Fifth, what are you going to do in the tank? Looking for shit? Other than aesthetics it doesn't serve a purpose.
  • Sixth, the companies that you mention, being Bohemia interactive and Tripwire studio. Are already large studios with swathes of manpower and quite a bit of capital. With Arma being more ambitious but also being made by a huge team. And Red Orchestra 2 only having 2 vehicles in the entire game that need an interior model.
  • Edit: Forgot this one, but you'd have to make idle animations and all the other animations of actions within the tank to represent what people are doing which also takes time and skill. And you can't just say "loader is on mg now but doesnt have to reload the main gun" like in the abrams now.

Sure it would be fun to have, but weighing the benefits to the costs in time and performance doesn't make it that realistic with other stuff taking higher priority. Such as the implementation of kickstarter goals such as helicopters.

Edited by liamNL

Would like interior in back of APC, even just looking at the grunts opposite. instead of nice window. 

We'd like to add some form of turning out or limited interiors eventually, but as noted, they are a little expensive performance-wise. Our focus on optimization could mean some gains that allow for stuff like this to be added a little sooner, though. SgtRoss talks a bit about this, I think, back in his SquadChat. The ability to kinda "duck" by aiming up in some vehicles is a bit of a stop-gap.

On 12/5/2018 at 8:13 AM, liamNL said:

On 12/5/2018 at 10:52 AM, Gatzby said:

We'd like to add some form of turning out or limited interiors eventually, but as noted, they are a little expensive performance-wise.

How would the interior of an MRAP be any less taxing than the interior of a tank?

1 hour ago, Rybec said:

How would the interior of an MRAP be any less taxing than the interior of a tank?

+1 And because tanks/apcs are generally closed vehicles since we don't have entry/exit animations in the game, they literally only render for the people inside the vehicle (and if there are any moving parts, only have to be replicated to the occupants). If anything, tank/apc interiors would be less expensive performance wise than vehicles with windows where you can see inside at any point. 

That being said, I don't think they should waste dev time on something as trivial as tank/apc interiors. Leave that to the mod community who actually care about seeing that stuff in game. I'd rather they focus on optimization and new gameplay features :) 

35 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

Leave that to the mod community who actually care about seeing that stuff in game.

I feel that's a copout used far too much for game development. This is particularly a problem in a game like Squad where mods will need to be downloaded client-side to join a server. Did you ever play Arma2 with quite near one hundred mods in a server? Six was an absolute godsend while being a pain in the ass. Who's going to look at a Squad mod like interiors and go "Oh yeah let's add that to our mod list people need". The more mods that need to be added in the worse the experience gets.

An example of a great+problematic system is Insurgency. There's a mountain of mods out there and they're (almost)all client side. You still run into conflicts where a mod just doesn't want to play nice with another one.

The more improvements added to the game by the developers, the smoother the experience will be. I understand there are priorities but if you skip out on something like the tank interior when the tank gets released I doubt they're going to go back to it later. Management wise it would look bad to keep touching up a project within the game instead of getting it ideal the first go around I expect.

Not bad at all i like the huge level of details it would be cool to have something similar no need to be that detailed but no need to be sooooo claustrophobic when you are driving MBT or IFV in this game of ours.

18 hours ago, Rybec said:

MRAP needs less details and doesn't need dedicated animations within itself. Additionally the MRAP has windows which means there is less interior to map. Whilst in the tank or APC and IFVs you'd have to model the entirety of the surroundings and have the textures for it loaded which can be quite detailed depending on the vehicle.

Feel free to see any of the other points for more reasons as to not have tank interiors, at least not till the devs have the manpower and the performance to spare.

7 hours ago, liamNL said:

Feel free to see any of the other points for more reasons as to not have tank interiors

Right on.

On 12/5/2018 at 8:13 AM, liamNL said:
  • Second of all, tank interiors are really freaking labour intensive.

These are the same point. Tank and APC interiors have a few more pieces to the inside than the MRAP we currently have.

• Third of all, many military vehicles have no refference material to make an interior out of because of either classified information due to modern day operations or other reasons.

Absolutely incorrect. There are so many pictures circulating with a 1 second google search I am really disappointed in you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=T72+Interior+pictures&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

https://www.360cities.net/image/serbian-tank-m84-inside Close enough to reference

https://www.google.com/search?q=M1+Abrams+interior&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiouILLi4_fAhXdGTQIHTVUBjMQ_AUIDigB&biw=1360&bih=654

There are goddamn videos to look at.

• Fourth, the vehicles that have interiors now are not complicated, it's a driving cabin or the back of a truck. And thus not as labour intensive but it would be damn strange if you didn't have it. Meanwhile in a tank you mostly focus on things through the periscope and thus you can justify using the periscope as the main viewing port.
  • Fifth, what are you going to do in the tank? Looking for shit? Other than aesthetics it doesn't serve a purpose.

These are close enough to being the same. I want to have at the very least a border around the gunner screen so while I'm twiddling my thumbs like the MRAP's CROWS system has. I don't need to see the fire extinguisher beside me, you're right.

• Sixth, the companies that you mention, being Bohemia interactive and Tripwire studio. Are already large studios with swathes of manpower and quite a bit of capital. With Arma being more ambitious but also being made by a huge team. And Red Orchestra 2 only having 2 vehicles in the entire game that need an interior model.

There's a reason RO2 keeps getting referenced. People notice when someone does an outstanding job. Seeing as the USA military has a single MBT (with different variants) fielded I would agree it would be reasonable to model it a little bit more detailed. There will be no more tanks for the USA faction because there's nothing else to put in. Seeing as the USA faction is half of what you see in rotations it would be even more welcomed.

• Edit: Forgot this one, but you'd have to make idle animations and all the other animations of actions within the tank to represent what people are doing which also takes time and skill. And you can't just say "loader is on mg now but doesnt have to reload the main gun" like in the abrams now.

They already put animations on the Kornet and TOW and I've noticed how great the reload animations are. Nobody cares that while aiming the guy on the M2, Kornet, TOW, SPG, NSV aren't swatting flies or scratching their asses.

@Rybec

These are the same point. Tank and APC interiors have a few more pieces to the inside than the MRAP we currently have.

Whilst the first 2 points look alike, they certainly are not the same, Labour as in work for the developer to make, and performance as in how well the game would perform with these interiors.

Absolutely incorrect. There are so many pictures circulating with a 1 second google search I am really disappointed in you.

*snip*

There are goddamn videos to look at.

Those video's might show some angles, but some of the vehicles that might be added in the future would also need reliable footage. Meanwhile the pictures you provided have large gaps in between, as in it is not seen what comes between certain sections and thus with a full 3d interior would either be improvised or would need detailed scans such as the devs did of the exterior of the T-72.

These are close enough to being the same. I want to have at the very least a border around the gunner screen so while I'm twiddling my thumbs like the MRAP's CROWS system has. I don't need to see the fire extinguisher beside me, you're right.

Trucks and cars have a low detail interior as in there is not a lot of surface area to be textured, it's mostly just a box around the player characters. However a tank turret is cluttered with small objects and has large moving parts within it (turret basket itself and the gun breach) and these would add multiple more surfaces that would need detailed textures as you will be close enough to the object to look closely at it. Additionally sitting in a car and being able to look around is completely different from sitting in an enclosed space and having small vision slits to the outside world. As hardly anybody will argue that truck and car interiors were a needless waste of performance and dev time due to it being of low impact on the game and taking significantly less dev time than a full interior.

There's a reason RO2 keeps getting referenced. People notice when someone does an outstanding job. Seeing as the USA military has a single MBT (with different variants) fielded I would agree it would be reasonable to model it a little bit more detailed. There will be no more tanks for the USA faction because there's nothing else to put in. Seeing as the USA faction is half of what you see in rotations it would be even more welcomed.

Still Red orchestra 2 only has 2 vehicles with a detailed interior, meanwhile people here are requesting full tank interiors for any tanks added (such as the T-62 that they teased). This already is one vehicle more than RO2 has. Other than this it would also force mod developers to up their game and include tank interiors as well to keep up a basic level of quality. And after this all people are also going to request that every single APC or IFV would also get an interior because tanks and cars already have them.

They already put animations on the Kornet and TOW and I've noticed how great the reload animations are. Nobody cares that while aiming the guy on the M2, Kornet, TOW, SPG, NSV aren't swatting flies or scratching their asses.

And finally, the animations I mentioned wouldn't be swatting flies and scratching asses. It would be gunners pulling triggers, commanders ordering shit, loaders reloading the **** huge gun. As it would break the immersion completely if you fired your gun and you looked to the side to see the loaders arse hanging in the wind because he's manning the machine gun instead of loading your gun rounds and magically you have a gun round loaded telekineticly by the loader on the mg. Also it wouldn't help to have 2 characters on the position as it's only meant to be manned by one man and thus doesn't have additional room for a gunner to stand on top of the loaders back.

Not that I'm against having nice interior details of heavy vehicles. I just don't think they're feasible at this moment in time. As they would take a ton of time, have a huge impact on the performance (loading only for the people inside might help but those would still suffer performance problems) and it would not serve a purpose other than looking cool, which is something the devs can postpone quite a bit to get actual features in first.

IT simple if a loader is manning a MG, then no reloading for your. tank.

That will be simulated extra logistics strain of having a 4th crew member whilst Russian  tank commander wont have to worry about loader hanging his ass  around. that ;) 

Or simply have an AI loader , given that it may be a bore for a human player  to simply stand there in the loaders position waiting to tap a key to load up ammo based on the tank commanders request.

and i don't see performance problems being an issue. there are no performance issues from tank interior alone from those other aforementioned examples were Tank interiors were done..

Edited by kev2go