Sign in to follow this  
kev2go

Night operations?

Will there be night maps?

and will there be night vision goggles available for conventional army factions?

What about Night fighting equipment for Armored vehicles, most these days however have thermal imaging.

Edited by kev2go

We already had night maps in the game, they were quite unpopular. Some players didn't like them so much, they increased gamma/brightness to such levels that they could see as well as during the day. As far as I know there isn't a feasible way to prevent such exploits atm and it completely defeats the entire purpose of night maps if some people can see perfectly while others can't, so they were dropped from the game. That kinda answers the bit about night vision as well.

7 hours ago, MultiSquid said:

We already had night maps in the game, they were quite unpopular. Some players didn't like them so much, they increased gamma/brightness to such levels that they could see as well as during the day. As far as I know there isn't a feasible way to prevent such exploits atm and it completely defeats the entire purpose of night maps if some people can see perfectly while others can't, so they were dropped from the game. That kinda answers the bit about night vision as well.

there is no need to cheat by turning up gamma or brightness if you have night vision goggles......

If  various other other games ranging from  ARMA 3  ,  Americas Army ,  could have have night maps with night vision  options  , i don't see why squad cant just because of a few exploiters.

IF this really was such a problem then perhaps the developers should have fixed it instead of giving up on the feature, ad other game developers have tackled this issue before.  Take a Rust for example which isnt even a Military game.

Rust  developers have found a fix for " gamma cranking"  , basically the ability to see or not to see at night is not gamma/brightness/contrast dependent, so you can set everything (rust in-game settings, video driver settings and even monitor setting) to max and still not see a single thing. That's very interesting and I wonder if this can be implemented in the  UE4. there just won’t be any details in deep shadows for your monitor to pick up., so for what we can read basically the monitor is not able to capture any 'detail' at night, making it always dark, even with max gamma.

This is also exactly how developers of ARMA 3 also fixed this exploit.

Edited by kev2go

On 12/2/2018 at 9:22 AM, kev2go said:

there is no need to cheat by turning up gamma or brightness if you have night vision goggles......

People do, regardless, because it's easier and static. Guessing leaning on EAC would be possible too, to some extent, but folks will always find hardware solutions too.

That's only really part of the issue though: the real challenges, as I understand it, comes in mapping and lighting. Instead of one lightsource that powers the whole map, you're looking at dozens, overlapping, and creating all sorts of visual effects. This causes quite a performance hit, especially as you scale maps up to helicopter-friendly sizes. Doesn't mean there won't ever be night maps, but they'll have to meet some tough optimization goals before they're ready for 100 players.

If your insurgency and you give regular forces NV all your going to see is massive player dropping. Know I wouldn't want to play as them, bad enough when you have the disadvantage of iron sights vs optics, throw in NV and not going to be fun. 

It can be balanced, if INS/MIL get access to flashlights they could be used to potentially blind people with NVGs, the blindness effect could last for a few seconds, kinda like the flashbang effects in most games. Flare guns could also be used by the INS/MIL forces to illuminate an area for a distance, and also to blind people.

Some NVG models also make it impossible to use scopes while wearing them, so Squad could make it so that kits with NVGs can't have scopes, or if they do, you can't use the scope with the NVG on.

26 minutes ago, [BMF] Coanda said:

I would love to see it. Optics & headgear mandatory.  Only US v British forces though. Tech wars :)

Russian armed forces also have Night vision goggles.

moscow-region-russia-4th-aug-2014-a-man-

and these sort of Night vision optics for small arms are from a soviet era, and could possibly be found in the hands of factions like the Militia as a sort of second hand surplus purchased equipment.

SLR107UR_NSPU_001.JPG

Edited by kev2go