Psyko

i got an ssd

So, I got an ssd, it's coming on tuesday.

is there anything i need to know?" I never put one in before.

Do SSDs need to be defragged at all? 

Do i have to move my entire steam directory to the new drive? or can i have a couple of steam directories on the two drives?

Edited by Psyko

If you've ever put in a regular hard drive it's exactly the same. SATA cable + power cable.
No defragging required (most programs should be able to detect an SSD and prevent you from defragging it since it's detrimental to the drive's lifespan).

You can create a new Steam directory in Steam's settings.

Imo if the drive is big enough you should reinstall Windows on the new drive and work from there, but of course than can be a hassle.

Edited by Kothra

2 hours ago, Kothra said:

If you've ever put in a regular hard drive it's exactly the same. SATA cable + power cable.
No defragging required (most programs should be able to detect an SSD and prevent you from defragging it since it's detrimental to the drive's lifespan).

You can create a new Steam directory in Steam's settings.

Imo if the drive is big enough you should reinstall Windows on the new drive and work from there, but of course than can be a hassle.

cool

thanks dude

6 hours ago, Psyko said:

So, I got an ssd, it's coming on tuesday.

is there anything i need to know?" I never put one in before.

Do SSDs need to be defragged at all? 

Do i have to move my entire steam directory to the new drive? or can i have a couple of steam directories on the two drives?

Make sure that you transfer the files over instead of deleting too.

Properties - Local Files - Move Install Folder

It'll save you a few gbs of a download.

21 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Will you just expand your pc by adding the SSD? How big is the SSD, will you keep your HDD alongside the SSD?

yeah just expanding, cheap 120gig ssd for 30 bucks. and yeah i have two other HDs, now im wondering if i have a spare sata port on my mobo for this, becuase i had to sacrifice my disk drive for the port....yikes.

An SSD that size would be perfect for Steam games. Unless you have a lot of Steam games. 

If you do have a lot... Then just transfer Squad and a few others to the SSD and be done.

Edited by Lipton (Easy)

Your biggest benefit will come from using it for your OS. Boot times will be significantly faster and overall your PC will feel that much snappier.

120gb (-OS) isn't that large so you'll have to be choosy in what games etc you put on the SSD. You can install Steam games to different drives if you select the option before downloading. Squad really does benefit from loading from SSD so probably should be ones of those you put on it. 

STDs can be life changing, contacts your previous partners.

SSD :)