Jump to content
SpecialAgentJohnson

Sights should go back when tanks are firing

Recommended Posts

IRL sights go black when tanks fire. This is to keep the gunner from going blind from the extremely intense brightness of the flame of the gun which is basically as big as the tank itself for an instant. It takes maybe a second or so until you can see through the sights again. Also there is no shaking going on as you fire. It takes more than a little gunpowder to rock sixty tonnes of armour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting -- might be something to try. We've noticed some folks have a lot of trouble adjusting to the sights available at the moment due to the camera shake and the way the camera moves. There might be some middle ground that helps all around. Thanks for the feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gatzby said:

Interesting -- might be something to try. We've noticed some folks have a lot of trouble adjusting to the sights available at the moment due to the camera shake and the way the camera moves. There might be some middle ground that helps all around. Thanks for the feedback.

You're welcome. 

 

I guess it can be a bit difficult if the sights go black in the absence of a more realistic automatic fire control system, but if you lean towards implementing one in the future, then people don't need to worry about watching where the round goes because they will basically always hit. Hence they won't be so dependent on actually seeing where the round goes either. 

 

Squad is the only game I play the way... :-) 

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What tank were you on because that was not a feature of my M1A2 Sep. The only thing that would stop me from seeing where my tracer went was obsuration from dust kicked up and burnt propellant.  The GAS sight, which is sort of what we have now, is just an optical scope and is not connected in any way to the FCS. The Gunners Primary sight is mounted above and to the right on the doghouse, and never looks at the barrel unless doing an MRS update. In the rare moments I fired in daylight instead of thermals the sight never went black. A black sight means you forgot to open the doghouse doors or you broke something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hasler74 said:

What tank were you on because that was not a feature of my M1A2 Sep. The only thing that would stop me from seeing where my tracer went was obsuration from dust kicked up and burnt propellant.  The GAS sight, which is sort of what we have now, is just an optical scope and is not connected in any way to the FCS. The Gunners Primary sight is mounted above and to the right on the doghouse, and never looks at the barrel unless doing an MRS update. In the rare moments I fired in daylight instead of thermals the sight never went black. A black sight means you forgot to open the doghouse doors or you broke something.

Oh really? I just assumed that was the case for basically all tanks because it was like that on the Leopard 2 which I was on and it seemed logical.... And you didn't get blind when firing? Wonder why they have it on the Leopard then as it doesn't seem to be necessary(?)

 

Flames are bigger than the entire tank though so wouldn't matter much where you'd put the sights basically. But then again, if it's not necessary then why have it... 

 

BTW, wasn't it irritating to just have one-eye scope to look in all the time? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 11:23 PM, hasler74 said:

What tank were you on because that was not a feature of my M1A2 Sep. The only thing that would stop me from seeing where my tracer went was obsuration from dust kicked up and burnt propellant.  The GAS sight, which is sort of what we have now, is just an optical scope and is not connected in any way to the FCS. The Gunners Primary sight is mounted above and to the right on the doghouse, and never looks at the barrel unless doing an MRS update. In the rare moments I fired in daylight instead of thermals the sight never went black. A black sight means you forgot to open the doghouse doors or you broke something.


What are your thoughts on the no shaking comment?
I was just watching some videos of Abrams firing and they do get kicked back a bit, but I haven't got Squad open right now so I can't compare the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 3:53 PM, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

IRL sights go black when tanks fire. This is to keep the gunner from going blind from the extremely intense brightness of the flame of the gun which is basically as big as the tank itself for an instant. It takes maybe a second or so until you can see through the sights again. Also there is no shaking going on as you fire. It takes more than a little gunpowder to rock sixty tonnes of armour. 

 

On 11/26/2018 at 1:50 PM, Gatzby said:

Interesting -- might be something to try. We've noticed some folks have a lot of trouble adjusting to the sights available at the moment due to the camera shake and the way the camera moves. There might be some middle ground that helps all around. Thanks for the feedback.

 

 

 

this is done on some tanks like Leopard series of  but no all tanks in the world

 

 

 

 

 

This wouldn't apply to an M1 Abrams series of tanks or T72 AFAIK.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by kev2go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kev2go said:

 

 

 

 

this is done on some tanks like Leopard series of  but no all tanks in the world

 

 

 

 

 

This wouldn't apply to an M1 Abrams series of tanks or T72 AFAIK.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That computer game looks pretty accurate. I would argue that possibly the blackout time was slightly longer, like almost a second, but mind me, it was 20 years ago I fired one for real so I might remember incorrectly. I remember it as quite irritating to go blind for that long, actually. 

 

What I do remember very clearly though was how very undramatic it was to fire the main gun. I was expecting this big rocking blast - like currently in Squad - but I was surprised at how very little was felt inside the tank at all. Standing outside is very intense but actually firing it from the inside doesn't feel anything basically. Again the game above looks more like the real deal to me. What also looks very accurate is the fire control system with no problems to hit a moving target at first shot.

 

Look at this video how still the tank really is. A slight suspension wiggle only. Hard anything actually. The gun is the same or very similar to the Abrams main gun:

 

https://youtu.be/WrZni_qAorQ

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×