Smee

Degrading Constructions overtime

With the expanding maps is it time to have degrading deployables. What I mean is that with the increasing map sizes you ending up with more and more construction being abandoned around the map. This must have a issue with the server maintaining more infrastructure. Or maybe once a FOB is remove from the local. Would people think this could be a bad idea? 

I get the idea to keep the server clean ... over what time though?  if a fob is placed as a back stop .. for defenses and the team gets pushed back to it, it might be gone by that time ..  

If this excessive fort building gets any worse the game may need to branch off into crafting servers.

Plus I've always wondered about what the performance hit was with the replication of all the junk some players place on a FOB.

That said, personally I'd like to see a cap on how many particular items could be built because of the unproductive "nesting" behavior that often occurs.

I mean on one hand currently I think the fob is capped with something like one TOW, two mortars, two tripod 50s and two bunker 50s whatever etc. but on the other hand people are just going bananas now that the logis hold more and the fob seems to have an infinite capacity.

Something like 6-8 hescos, 10-12 sandbags & 10-12 barbed wire seems reasonable.

2 hours ago, embecmom said:

I get the idea to keep the server clean ... over what time though?  if a fob is placed as a back stop .. for defenses and the team gets pushed back to it, it might be gone by that time ..  

If it's got a FOB then no it shouldn't degrade. Or perhaps a reduction of construction points over time. Then degradation.

Edited by Smee

but how do you differentiate from a fob in use vs one that is not?  ie build a super fob for mortars and there all game would emplacements start to degrade?

no. he's saying that a radio prevents degradation.

no radio the stuff gradually unbuilds.

a shame but it might be a good performance buff. 

maybe they could reduce to lower resolution/poly mesh like they had sagged and tumbled a bit.

We run into a similar debate with abandoned vehicles too -- how long should they be considered a resource? What if the enemy finds it and holds it against them? Should it slowly burn out? Should that burn out be repairable? Hehe, lots of variables.

Some of the performance issues, I think, have been lessened by origin rebasing, and we're going to continue to work on optimization in the coming months. It may not be necessary to degrade old resources from that perspective, but it could make for an interesting and/or more player-friendly mechanic. Something worth thinking about; thanks for the feedback. =)

This idea is stupid and to quote the principal in Billy Madison, " Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. "

Enlighten us to why this is a stupid idea. 

Actually having things left on the map says something happened here, a battle, remnents of war, it was once an important spot that left a mark, it says something.  Like there was a warzone here, something terrible many payed a high price, things got messed up, it needs to be known and experienced as if you were there, even though maybe that would give you nightmares and visions you would rather not see.

maybe these ppl have infinite performance and dont want better server and client frame rates?

12 hours ago, suds said:

maybe these ppl have infinite performance and dont want better server and client frame rates?

You ever played Bad Company 2 ?  The whole map and all the buildings would end up destroyed, flattened to the ground, and what remained became the final battlefield the last way it would look before one team won, that somehow was realistic to war because that's exactly what happens.  Buildings get bombed and demolished and they dont get repaired til after the war is over.  Exceptions are bridges and maybe fortfications that can be rebuilt during the war in back and forth struggle, and maybe other things.

Edited by XRobinson

On 2018-11-26 at 7:57 PM, Gatzby said:

We run into a similar debate with abandoned vehicles too -- how long should they be considered a resource? What if the enemy finds it and holds it against them? Should it slowly burn out? Should that burn out be repairable? Hehe, lots of variables.

Some of the performance issues, I think, have been lessened by origin rebasing, and we're going to continue to work on optimization in the coming months. It may not be necessary to degrade old resources from that perspective, but it could make for an interesting and/or more player-friendly mechanic. Something worth thinking about; thanks for the feedback. =)

I don't want this. It would a MAJOR turnoff for me. I love to build stuff. It's great fun. Also sand bags degrade anyway when they are blown to pieces occasionally. Haven't noticed any bad server performance affecting me as a connecting client. Anyway games aren't that long anyway for this to be a major problem, right? 

When it comes to vehicles however. There might be a point to it, but that would be as a game mechanic rather then I think. I mean the game should be able to sustain a set of amount of vehicles at any time, right? I also think you know, in a sense that if you loose your cars then you should pay for it! Either that or go fetch them. I would rather have some kind of light penalty system for losing valuable assets then, but I don't know how that would look like. Maybe a way to force the people losing it to go fetch it back again...? 

pls dont quote me then ignore that i am talking about performance. 

to win at insurgency, build until the enemy lags when they look at your base.

2 hours ago, suds said:

pls dont quote me then ignore that i am talking about performance. 

to win at insurgency, build until the enemy lags when they look at your base.

I have never had any of these problems at all so why are you making it an issue in the first place? More optimizations are coming as well. 

Fortifications could be on a timer. If they aren't "used" after a specific amount of time, then they could time out and be removed from the battlefield. 

WWII Online does this. Of course, their map is 52,000 sq km. So, they kinda need to remove unused fortifications to help with performance. xD

11 hours ago, Lipton (Easy) said:

Fortifications could be on a timer. If they aren't "used" after a specific amount of time, then they could time out and be removed from the battlefield. 

WWII Online does this. Of course, their map is 52,000 sq km. So, they kinda need to remove unused fortifications to help with performance. xD

No thanks. Game should be realistic enough. 

Example with the invasion mode, if you have seven flags and the defends build at all flags by the last flag your starting to see the strain.  The previous flags make no relevance to the battle once moved you move on .  On Large maps that don't have FOBs assets should clear. 

Being realistic not an issue its performance and function. who's burying all the bodies, wheres all the discarded ordnance. 

Personally I think pre-existing fortifications like Ammo Hill on Fools Road or the upgraded Yeho airstrip and many other positions on Yeho make way more sense. This way the folks with this crafting fetish have a foundation to start with.

When CAS comes in the future, destroying bases will be different. Overhead cover will likely need to be even stronger.

Abandoned vehicles due to irresponsibility however maybe should be cycled back into the pool.

I wonder will there be AA emplacements? Hmmm?

On 12/2/2018 at 8:14 PM, Smee said:

Enlighten us to why this is a stupid idea. 

This idea is stupid because if something is still usable, I want to be able to use it. Just because someone isn't' using that specific asset at that time or haven't in awhile, doesn't mean that it should just randomly disappear just for game performance. Weapon and defense emplacements can always be used as a fall back option. Blown up vehicles, sure you can delete those after some time because it's not usable anymore. Dead bodies, yeah delete those too after some time because wth am I going to use those for. Used munitions, yeah can't use those anymore so just delete those.

Pretty sure there are other ways to improve performance without deleting usable in game assets.

So I stand by my original post.

On 12/2/2018 at 9:20 AM, PythagorasHP said:

This idea is stupid and to quote the principal in Billy Madison, " Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. "

I think every type of degrading anything is not good.Not even fliped vhics,you fliped them you go and unflip them or destroy them by them selfs.

The battles are short for anything to degrade over time.I even read about the constructions or ammo to degrade or beeing lost over time withought no one using it at all.

I personally think its good the way it is.

I like it that the objects stay, adds something to the battlefield.

You know it used to be a FOB, and its been fought over and destroyed. Same with vehicle wrecks.