Right now the holding shift function to stay in first gear isnt really working out.

when you head up a hill already with some speed you are unable to switch to first gear.

you need to stop in order to go to first gear.

i'd say just give the full function to switch between gears.

Try letting go of W, then tap, repeat as needed to down shift. I fooled with this in a match and it seemed to work without needing to stop. Although, I still think there needs to be some work in the torque values in 1st and 2nd gear, as there's not enough power to pull you out of a ditch and small incline. 

Let me know if the W tap and release works to drop gears. It could have been a fluke during the one match I was driving a LOGI, would be good to confirm. 

I'm loosely part of the Irish driving instructor community as i have been training to be one, and while i'm not a mechanic i do know a good bit about how vehicles feel and drive and operate. Driving instructors would agree that second gear is a superpower, even the smallest engines can make a steep hill trivial in 2nd. I'm guessing a 2.5 tonne truck could easily spin it's wheels in 2nd with a full load. 1st is slow but massively strong, its used for only 2 things, taking off, and moving the earth under the wheels with little resistance. But second is the one that you rely on for turning corners, roundabouts, and it has excellent balance between speed and maneuverability. I'm guessing 2nd, is what you would use to get over a significant obstacle in reality. See if i have to make a square turn efficiently?, i have to slow down to where a speed in 2nd is comfortable...not because i'm trying to do a racing turn around the bend at speed, but because its not reasonable for me to expect i can turn the wheel fully for a square turn in the time expected. 

if im to get around a turn with reasonable efficiency, my wheels need to be "engaged" with the ground, meaning i'm giving it a little gas, but also i have to be able to expect air-brake a little also. But there is also the issue of the reduction in power dropping a gear from 3rd to 2nd and that helps with the air-braking, and of course, you give it a little brake peddle too before going into a turn.

I think the gears in squad should be manual. and as you descend through the gears, i think there should be an air-brake mechanic and each gear should have a suitable "moving the earth below the wheels" value, that is not the same as the torque btw, and i expect it's not an easy thing to get right what with all the terrain types (mud, grass, asphalt etc).

That being said, the M35A2 Deuce has to hawl a lot of ass to get over some of squad's terrain obstacles, and drivers in the game should manage their expectations. Check out this small video, and bare in mind, that wet mud is the WORST case scenario.

Edited by Psyko

i do use the letting go w technique but it's not efficient for most of the time to get the truck in to first gear you need to slow down to the speed where he actualy shifts to 1st  gear wich is around 20 to 30mph i think.

another thing bothering me is when some of the wheels are lifted from the ground the truck will shift to 4th gear wile you need first to take of.

Transmission needs some work still, agreed. My ideal Shift-key implementation would be similar to DIRT: Rally's semi-automatic gearbox, with a twist.

Transmission's normal state is automatic, but user has manual input from Shift-key to sequentially downshift thru gears. If the downshift causes the engine to redline (say, travelling at 100kph and user pushes down to gear 2), then it automatically shifts back up.

This strikes a balance between convenience of auto transmission, but being able to get extra power from lower gears when requested.

Edited by Mumble