Urbanski

Struggling with this game

35 minutes ago, Urbanski said:

I think it's starting to click....

The last few games I've had have been great, even if we lose I've had fun and felt involved.

Now, if I get onto a server join a squad and the SL is silent or an idiot I'll try to find a different Squad and if that fails I disconnect and find a different server.

I've identified a few good servers and tend to stick with those but the only issue is that they tend to be full at peak times. In terms of other players, I've been learning from a few very good SLs who ran their Squad really well, I've also learn't from a few who were awful on how not to do it.

I'm finding my feet with the classes and have tried most apart from Marksman as it's not a role I enjoy. Still not comfortable enough to try SL yet but I feel I'm not far away from giving it a go. Loving the medic class (most important class for an infantry squad IMO) and play that a lot but also like MG and LMG followed by grenadier.

My scores are now positive, usually top 1-3 for my squad and I'm getting much better at tracking and engaging the enemy and getting my share of kills.

In short...I'm loving it now but it's taken me a while to get there.

I think my biggest issue with the game (apart from a few bugs / glitches) is how uncoordinated many games/servers are with squads arguing or not communicating. On several occasions my team has ended up without an FOB and clear objectives have been overlooked or ignored, like at the start of a game everyone rushing to the third control point with nobody capping the first two or everyone running out of ammo because nobody wants to run logistics or nobody defending a capture point only for it to be capped by the enemy minutes later.....I get that s**t happens but most of this could be avoided with a little coordination....difficult with a bunch of strangers I guess.

It's just highlighted to me that I need to find a decent group / clan to play with.

Cheers

Cool. 

But on the other hand, if no team sucked ever, then you wouldn't have that sweet everything-works-perfectly kind of victory over another team either so... 

6 hours ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

Cool. 

But on the other hand, if no team sucked ever, then you wouldn't have that sweet everything-works-perfectly kind of victory over another team either so... 

True....I'd still prefer to lose or win based on skill, strategy, tactics rather than the fact that one of the teams had the collective IQ of a grapefruit...I'm aware that's not realistic when discussing public groups in MP games :)

Edited by Urbanski

On 11/14/2018 at 7:39 AM, Urbanski said:

I've only played for a few hours but I'm really struggling with Squad.

I've played mil sims before, all of the ARMA series + other combined arms and tactical shooter games but I'm not feeling it. It is very intense at times with long periods of waiting which is fine but most of the time I've played I've hardly seen the enemy at all and in most of the squads I've played in there has been no plan, no comms, just a random group all doing their own thing.

I've had a very mixed experience with other players as well, from one good squad lead who was clear and communicated to ones that are abusive and vile. I spent one game building sandbag walls for an SL who just screamed abuse at the squad. I thought I might learn something about the building mechanics in the game, but when I asked I was told to "shut up and dig". Despite all the sandbag walls and emplacements we got overwhelmed in short order.

Another game ended up with about 10 guys at a base all shouting abuse at each other and shooting each other about who would man a mortar. Some player shouted abuse at me for manning an MG, said it was his and to "get the F*** off my MG you b****" Needless to say I logged out.

I'm not a sensitive flower, been playing MP games for decades and I've seen and heard it all but so far I'm not having much fun or learning much about the game other than how not to play it.

I like coordinated MP, leading and being led by people who know what they are doing. Tactical firefights, good combat mechanics and gameplay....that's why I bought the game. I'm not getting any of that...just lots of aimless running around and abusive players. In around 15 games, one was actually fun, the rest have been pretty horrible for one reason or another.

I know there is a learning curve, there is with all games and I'm at the start of that curve but so far I'm not feeling it at all.

In short, it's not been a great experience for me. I'll try a few more times to play it but I'm not feeling very inspired by this game at all. I don't want to bring a downer on it, the game itself seems good but I'm really not enjoying it right now.

Is this the norm? Are all the servers like this? Are there servers or groups that actually coordinate?

Yes, unfortunately this happens.. when I first picked up the game, I was forunately greeted by quality players and SL’s with plans. Unfornutatley now, about a year after I bought it, I can’t seem to find many competent SL’s, or inviting new players. The problem I have with new players in squad, is most of their mind sets are terrible and uninviting, thinking they know everything, creating squads and leaving, first time SLing, with no experience, (ALL OF THESE THINGS HAVE BEEN HAPPENING SO MUCH SINCE V12 FOR SOME REASON)

if your getting abuse like that on a server report it to admins.. also you dont need to get off the mg... mute the guy.. he will probably tk you..but in the end he will be kicked if its decent admin

At first this game can get a bit over whelming and annoying at times depending on who you are squad upped with but just get practice and even try to meet some clan like these other people said.