Daruth

Opinions On A Ranking System?

Daruth   

You may think by me making this post that i actually want a rank up system. Well you would be very mistaken as i don't want a ranking system in SQUAD as even though it gives more of a 'pull' (to come back and play) its just not what i'm looking for in this game. I could go into detail as to why im sick of most games now having a rank up system but this post is directed to the community to see your thoughts and opinions on the matter to help out the dev team. Please reply with thoughts below - Thank you               Daruth "see you in battle!"

ExeTick   

well if the rank only means rank and there is no unlock bullshit when you reach this rank I dont see why not and it surely wouldnt be very high priority. 

well if the rank only means rank and there is no unlock bullshit when you reach this rank I dont see why not and it surely wouldnt be very high priority. 

Agreed. However, what are some of the other things that could replace "rank" ? What is used IRL that we could use to accomplish the same thing ? 

Anything more than the listed items below, and I dislike it personally.

In game events that can be recorded to build rank:

hours played

teamwork points

rounds completed

-------------

Building any kind of complicated ranking system will just lead to exploitation.  I remember playing Planetside 2 at launch and there were people using multibox alt accounts and nading their alts then healing them for the medic points... for hours on end.

hours played

teamwork points

rounds completed

-------------

Building any kind of complicated ranking system will just lead to exploitation.  I remember playing Planetside 2 at launch and there were people using multibox alt accounts and nading their alts then healing them for the medic points... for hours on end.

That is just sad.

I wouldn't mind some sort of Ranking system in Squad. Only if you ranked up according to what Litoralis said. I think it would be a really good way for people to recognise who the experienced players are and what not. It also might be a good way to weed out commander applicants, like BF2 did it. i.e. player with more experience gets the job.

It obviously brings its problems, but I still don't mind the idea.

In every single video game I have seen that has such a stats-tracking system, it never works out the way devs intend it to:

If you record kills and deaths, then players will prioritize their KDR over helping their squad/team achieve victory.

If you record wins and losses, then players will begin to teamswitch to the winning team just before the round ends, or they will just quit the game if they think their team is going to lose.

If you record even just teamwork points, then players will find some cheap exploit (ex. driving a technical around in circles in the main base for 20 minutes) just to artificially boost that number.

Even normally good team-players will have their behavior altered just by knowing that their stats will be recorded.

The only harmless stat-tracking I can think of would be the number of hours played in Squad.

I thought the way BF2 did it was spot on and simple. Then DICE got crazy with it for who knows why.

Reference: http://www.online-multiplayer.com/bf2/bf2_ranking_points.php

Kill an enemy +2 points

Change an enemy flag to neutral +2 points

Convert a neutral flag to your side +2 points

Flag assist +1 point Kill assist +1 point

Flag defend +1 point

Driver assist +1 point

Heal 100 points of damage (other players only) +1 point

Revive a player +1 point

Give ammunition to player or vehicle (other players only) +1 point

Repair a vehicle +1 point

Team damage (take off 50% of a teammate's total health) -2 points

Team vehicle damage (deal 50% damage to a vehicle controlled by a friendly player) -2 points

Team kill -4 points

They would have to be adjusted of course. Just keep it simple. The rank requirements were also spot on requiring a certain point total AND a time total. Want the experience (not XP)? Then you have to actually play. It kept the ranks fairly accurate in the beginning (before multiple accounts were common). See a private running around, then he's probably a new player. Biggest thing, keep it simple stupid.

hours played

teamwork points

rounds completed

+1

Pootin   

The only ranking system I wouldnt mind seeing is by the number of hours played, and the number of bans issued by the game servers for non-ping reasons.

Systems that attempt to mechanically quantify teamwork fail because they can't take into account the context and situation under which events take place, and they can only collect the narrowest sliver of data. Because of this, they are useless and prone to exploitation.

A subscription-based recommender system would be far better suited:http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/88-suggestion-concerning-global-teamwork-score/

banOkay   

I thought the way BF2 did it was spot on and simple. Then DICE got crazy with it for who knows why.Reference: http://www.online-multiplayer.com/bf2/bf2_ranking_points.phpKill an enemy +2 pointsChange an enemy flag to neutral +2 pointsConvert a neutral flag to your side +2 pointsFlag assist +1 pointKill assist +1 pointFlag defend +1 pointDriver assist +1 pointHeal 100 points of damage (other players only) +1 pointRevive a player +1 pointGive ammunition to player or vehicle (other players only) +1 pointRepair a vehicle +1 pointTeam damage (take off 50% of a teammate's total health) -2 pointsTeam vehicle damage (deal 50% damage to a vehicle controlled by a friendly player) -2 pointsTeam kill -4 pointsThey would have to be adjusted of course. Just keep it simple.The rank requirements were also spot on requiring a certain point total AND a time total. Want the experience (not XP)? Then you have to actually play. It kept the ranks fairly accurate in the beginning (before multiple accounts were common). See a private running around, then he's probably a new player.Biggest thing, keep it simple stupid.

This is the best suggestion. It should also matter how many tickets you make the enemy team lose.

For others: how do you measure teamwork? Bunching up and digging FOBs is what gets you those points in PR, a monkey could do that.

XB0CT   

don't bother with a ranking system, I would just like to see the scoring system be exactly like PR, a ranking system is a bad idea as it can create some prejudices against newer players

banOkay   

Current PR's scoring system is pretty terrible. Kill a tank worth 10 tickets - get 60 points, kill its defenceless crew worth 4 tickets - get 250 points. Be part of an 8-man squad, shovel 1 terrible FOB, bunch up, go 2:6, lose 2 flags - 1300 points. Be part of a 3-man squad, help shovelling 1 FOB, go 15:4 - not even on the scoreboard.

The only ranking system I wouldnt mind seeing is by the number of hours played, and the number of bans issued by the game servers for non-ping reasons.

this. have a "ranking" system simple but keep it simple (no unlocks, etc). only stats/data that are not "whoreable" (get it horrible? ok no more jokes for me): hours played, hours played by role/main weapon, ff damage by percent, etc. plz, i would love at least some stats/data, something to show for my countless hours that i've played. i've played so much PR and really wish i had something to show for it. 

Daruth   

If the devs decide to have a ranking system in SQUAD they should only include the following (this is my opinion and may change overtime) :      1. Use badges and/or numbers for rankings, don't include a bunch of weapon unlocks. 2. Reward for time played. 3. Flags captured with squad. If you don't like my opinion here then let me know by editing it within your own post or creating a completely different idea. Thanks for the awesome comments so far - Daruth

You make a soldier, You can edit his skin slightly, All the above slots from BF2 are recorded.If he kill, Stats are wiped.You start new.Suppression being effective and Stats worked out in one hit.

That is the best so far. Wanna bring reality into the game? Stats improving till the character death. No more Rambos and taking unnecessary risks.Best idea so far.

banOkay   

Do you mean death as in any death in-game, the ones that show on a scoreboard?

If so then stats would last 1-30min and people would try their best not to die - leading to a horribly slow and extra boring camper fest game-play. That's a terrible idea, I really hope I'm misunderstanding it.

Do you mean death as in any death in-game, the ones that show on a scoreboard?

If so then stats would last 1-30min and people would try their best not to die - leading to a horribly slow and extra boring camper fest game-play. That's a terrible idea, I really hope I'm misunderstanding it.

No, You didn't misunderstand it. Capping a flag would boost the stats, no the same for killing a enemy. I believe It would worth a try.

If anyone else has played it, I love how cRPG handles leveling. Once you reach the maximum level for your character, your character "retires" and you start all over again from the bottom but you get a special perk that you get to add to one of your weapons. Kind of like an ancient sword passed down generation to generation. It keeps things fresh by recycling your character and no one stays as a maxed soldier, but it still rewards you with that perk you get after level 31.

I have no idea how that could be implemented into Squad though. Maybe at the start of every new round your character gets wiped so that anything you earned in the past round doesn't carry over to the next? That way everyone starts on equal footing and no XP advantages.