Gatzby

Limited Testing - 10/31

Hey Squaddies!

in case you have not noticed your public-testing branch is probably updating Squad right now. That's because we've pushed a new build for you to play some V12 with.

If all goes well, we're intending for this to be the start of the extended playtesting.

There is no fixed duration for this test, but it remains contingent upon performance data. So, to reiterate: there is no fixed time limit, but it may end for technical reasons at any point. You've been warned!

WARNED!

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS AN EARLY TEST BUILD AND HAS A LOT OF BUGS IN IT. ALPHA 12 IS STILL UNDER DEVELOPMENT AND ANYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE. SERVERS ARE LIMITED TO TEST SERVERS SO WE CAN COLLECT TEST DATA.

Password is: data4smartpeople

(If you need a hand filling out branch passwords, check out this post from alpha 10 for a guide.)

Here's a quick post from motherdear over on reddit discussing what these tests have been about, if you're curious!

A12 is currently being performance tested in small iterations, we are currently having issues with networking overhead (But this is improving with every performance test we have), this is due to a number of things 1) Our networking costs seems to have increased by x% without any major changes 2) We have introduced a new system that we call corestate that is the basis for a lot of performance improvements coming after A12 but that is an extra overhead on networking in A12, so we need to reduce the overhead that this system introduces. On top of this we have a number of big performance improvements to do with our physx implementation (Switching from BpSap to MBP collision detection method which scales better with player numbers) and reducing the base overhead of our vehicles. AND all this together with all the other features that are being tweaked for release.

Is there still a way to download this? I would like to join the test, but the original password "12threeweeks" no longer works. 

How do I get an invite to be a part of this momentous undertaking :)?

Edited by Lipton (Easy)

16 minutes ago, Lipton (Easy) said:

Is there still a way to download this? I would like to join the test, but the original password "12threeweeks" no longer works. 

How do I get an invite to be a part of this momentous undertaking :)?

Obviously you did not read the first post. -_-

Password is: data4smartpeople

After waiting for 2 hours in the Queue when i was nr 1 i was disconncted fro the queue what a shame. Otherwise you guys have a done a really good job!!!

I've been trying to download all day, it sits at 17.1 gb out of 17.1 and the timer just keeps going up, im not sure what the problem is.

I just really hope that by tomorrow there'll have been an update ready that brings FOBs back into the game. Rallies only, especially now makes it difficult to even testplay. :P

Checked out a bunch of the new layers including Kohat and Yeho and they look amazing. You can tell a lot of time and effort went into these maps.

Is it just me or do the new map icons make the map very confusing? I play medic quite a lot so using the map is essential but on v12 last night I really had to study the map even to locate my squad members / SL. Where as on the old map I could just glance and I'd had a very good idea of how the battle was progressing / where I was needed, last night it was just utter chaos so much so that I stopped playing as medic.

5 hours ago, scoobi said:

Is it just me or do the new map icons make the map very confusing? I play medic quite a lot so using the map is essential but on v12 last night I really had to study the map even to locate my squad members / SL. Where as on the old map I could just glance and I'd had a very good idea of how the battle was progressing / where I was needed, last night it was just utter chaos so much so that I stopped playing as medic.

I thought the same thing. As a fairly new player to the game (200 hrs), here are my first impressions. The player icons are so tiny now. And, It's harder to tell who the SL is. It's harder to zoom in. And is it me, or does the map not zoom as close as it use too? Maybe the smaller icons just make it seem that way because I want to zoom in closer to see my squad members?  I also noticed the cone that shows what direction I was facing on the map was harder to see as well, so I had a really hard time with situational awareness. But especially not liking the player icon changes at all. 

Edited by Lipton (Easy)

2 hours ago, Lipton (Easy) said:

The player icons are so tiny now.

Open map. Observe toolbar across the top. Slider allows user to adjust the size of the icons. You're welcome.

37 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Open map. Observe toolbar across the top. Slider allows user to adjust the size of the icons. You're welcome.

NIce! That also helped me learn more about toggling player role icons AND more about the grids. I like how they zoom all the way down to 33 meters. I do wish I could change the size of player icons without increasing the size of every other icon on the map though. I know I can toggle off the FOB points. But I wish the player icons were a separate scale. 

But, this is still very helpful. Thanks Zylfrax

Now, if I can just figure out how to darken my direction-facing cone just a tad, I'll be in business. lol

Edited by Lipton (Easy)

20 minutes ago, Spooky232 said:

Can we get more servers? literlity not a single server is up and I'm pretty hyped to test this masterpiece.

This morning there were two EU servers up in the Custom Servers browser. You can always test stuff in the range and once you're in the range you can open the console and type "adminchangemap" to explore the new map and the upgraded ones... "admindisablevehicleclaiming" to drive and shift P to fly around in admin camera.

6 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

This morning there were two EU servers up in the Custom Servers browser. You can always test stuff in the range and once you're in the range you can open the console and type "adminchangemap" to explore the new map and the upgraded ones... "admindisablevehicleclaiming" to drive and shift P to fly around in admin camera.

"adminchangemap". I'm learning all kinds of new stuff today. :x

ran into a couple of bugs... 

1. on heavy mg placement character was floating above the gun

2. the quick select menu (us side) .. the riflemen, when selecting which kit it was coming up with Russian weapons.

3. could not select support kit even though it was available

but have to say apart from fps drop the bigger maps felt very nice, although still not quite convinced the suppression is quite strong enough ... 

43 minutes ago, embecmom said:

although still not quite convinced the suppression is quite strong enough ...

I'm still waiting for our resident suppression expert to weigh in on that... Freisen I think his user name is. He's kind of like the benchmark. Personally I like the new suppression, I'm just glad it's not over the top like RS2V.