Will there be a death animation update/overhaul some point in the future? Currently when the characters are hit there's very little reaction based on how and where they're hit. The bodies just flop over and there's very little character life in terms of reaction to fire. It would add some life to the characters (no pun intended) and relative visual feedback during fire fights. 

We're not currently working on it, but it is something we have discussed and should be possible. Though it's not likely to be prioritized over major systems for the time being.

On 10/24/2018 at 7:43 AM, PROTOCOL said:

Will there be a death animation update/overhaul some point in the future? Currently when the characters are hit there's very little reaction based on how and where they're hit. The bodies just flop over and there's very little character life in terms of reaction to fire. It would add some life to the characters (no pun intended) and relative visual feedback during fire fights. 

I see blood mists out to 200 meters, corpses flopping around on the ground in many contorted manners, bodies flying high up the air from vehicle explosions then flopping around on the ground and even bodies rolling down vertical slopes for upwards of 15 seconds. Heck you can hear them groaning in pain and even their death rattle if you're close enough. Is that not enough? The only thing left to add is dismemberment, decapitation and blood spurting which has been ruled out numerous times.

I hope not, a lot of games have these absurd and completely over exaggerating animations when being killed, when that isn't how it works.. at all..

Obviously can't post them here, but I've seen plenty of videos on war of people getting shot and killed, and just like in Squad currently, they just flop over. None of this exaggerated stumbling, twirls and flips like you see in the movie. You get shot dead, your body just drops like a sack of potatoes.

Edited by Chompster

44 minutes ago, Chompster said:

I hope not, a lot of games have these absurd and completely over exaggerating animations when being killed, when that isn't how it works.. at all..

Obviously can't post them here, but I've seen plenty of videos on war of people getting shot and killed, and just like in Squad currently, they just flop over. None of this exaggerated stumbling, twirls and flips like you see in the movie. You get shot dead, your body just drops like a sack of potatoes.

Have you ever seen someone shot in person? It may change your perspective. No two reactions are the same... and people still move and try to make it to safety due to that thing called adrenaline. 

49 minutes ago, Chompster said:

So in the cases when you make it to cover and bandage yourself, then wait for a medic for full heal (you wouldn't expect to flop dead, you'd expect a hit reaction/movement). Also some shots aren't immediate kill shots, but rather bleed-outs (like in the case when your down and you can either give up or wait for medic). I'm viewing this more broadly without a myopic view. 

Edited by PROTOCOL

13 hours ago, PROTOCOL said:

Have you ever seen someone shot in person? It may change your perspective. No two reactions are the same... and people still move and try to make it to safety due to that thing called adrenaline. 

In person? no. videos of real people getting shot? yes, plenty.

13 hours ago, PROTOCOL said:

So in the cases when you make it to cover and bandage yourself, then wait for a medic for full heal (you wouldn't expect to flop dead, you'd expect a hit reaction/movement). Also some shots aren't immediate kill shots, but rather bleed-outs (like in the case when your down and you can either give up or wait for medic). I'm viewing this more broadly without a myopic view. 

Then that's not a death animation now is it? you're talking about being incapacitated. 

And on the note of incapacitated, I'd still rather they not make pre-baked animations. Those always look horrible anywhere that isn't completely flat, unless they can get Inverse kinematics to work with it(and even then it can look jank). Not entirely sure which game it does but I'm going to say it was one of the Rising Storm games that does it really well. Have the ragdoll twist, turn and squirm, legs and arms flailing, this way you get a more natural look with ragdolls without animations that don't fit where the person is laying but still get the idea of them not being dead-dead, but just incapacitated.

Edited by Chompster

14 hours ago, Chompster said:

In person? no. videos of real people getting shot? yes, plenty.

Then that's not a death animation now is it? you're talking about being incapacitated. 

And on the note of incapacitated, I'd still rather they not make pre-baked animations. Those always look horrible anywhere that isn't completely flat, unless they can get Inverse kinematics to work with it(and even then it can look jank). Not entirely sure which game it does but I'm going to say it was one of the Rising Storm games that does it really well. Have the ragdoll twist, turn and squirm, legs and arms flailing, this way you get a more natural look with ragdolls without animations that don't fit where the person is laying but still get the idea of them not being dead-dead, but just incapacitated.

The topic title is death animation. However, I clearly mention both hit reaction and death in the question/summary detail. At any rate, Gatzby responded with the direction and position that OWI has on this topic. So my question has been answered. I'm confident that if/when they move forward with a change it will suffice and not be in the negative direction based on your previous "game/video" experience. 

Thanks - Enjoy the day. 

On 10/24/2018 at 1:43 PM, Gatzby said:

We're not currently working on it, but it is something we have discussed and should be possible. Though it's not likely to be prioritized over major systems for the time being.

Understandable, and thanks for the response. I must say, the idle animations in v12 are a welcome addition especially during long transport rides. It's weird how the small things pull the big picture (atmosphere) together and start to form that complete package. :D

Thanks for all the hard work! By far one of my favorite games!