Sign in to follow this  
Zeroid

Surface type affects suspension systems of vehicles

As physical materials will affect vehicle speeds, could they also be made to affect vehicle suspension... I'm guessing that's a thing in the real world... and could such a thing be rolled out for both Squad and Post Scriptum. The reason for the request is that off-road suspension seems to make the vehicles too bouncy, as if they don't weigh too much. That said, I don't have too much experience driving logistics trucks off-road so they could currently be quite accurate... but they do seem to hop jump and skip over bumps more than I'd imagine real-world trucks would do so...

Cheers, and much appreciated.

Zeroid o7

I've always thought that the overall functionality and performance of the vehicles was a good compromise between realism and arcade. On one hand, confining vehicles only to improved roads would make the game linear, predictable and boring whilst giving them GTA5/Travis Pastrana attributes would just be silly.

As it stands right now I would say the vehicles are definitely able to go places on many maps that would be physically impossible in real life. So yeah, I'm pretty excited to see how the upcoming changes will effect performance and mobility.

For me personally the biggest issue hasn't been the vehicles themselves it's always been the collision model in UE4 on spline walls & foliage actors and how the vehicles are so easily able to overcome it and get stuck on things. I mean flipping vehicles makes complete sense because you were driving too fast however getting stuck on something random sometimes doesn't seem accurate.

I think vics should take some sort of semi realistic damage to reduce the ability to blaze full speed into objects and catch massive air. They shouldn't be fragile, but if you smack enough trees or launch cliffs at full speed, you should have to repair them, or, if you ignore the damage, eventually they should die. 

I am worried about how this traction will effect the pace of the game but the current way to get the most reward is to take the biggest risk :) Barrel rolls are all part of a normal drive. 

Damage to vehicles from driving collisions would slow the game down a lot...but some compensation would be needed to bring the already boring round start time down.

2-5 mins of driving in some cases before there is even a chance of action, totally pointless, dull and unrealistic to be able to safely drive without any risk at all. Allow more forward spawns to populate the map, add random rallies to the start to get the fun started immediately.

19 minutes ago, suds said:

I am worried about how this traction will effect the pace of the game but the current way to get the most reward is to take the biggest risk :) Barrel rolls are all part of a normal drive. 

Damage to vehicles from driving collisions would slow the game down a lot...but some compensation would be needed to bring the already boring round start time down.

2-5 mins of driving in some cases before there is even a chance of action, totally pointless, dull and unrealistic to be able to safely drive without any risk at all. Allow more forward spawns to populate the map, add random rallies to the start to get the fun started immediately.

Why is it a bad thing or unrealistic to not be in the heat of the action instantly? Squad is for the people who sort of appreciate the time before and inbetween the action. I actually love the build-up before the first fights start on a map.

3 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Why is it a bad thing or unrealistic to not be in the heat of the action instantly? Squad is for the people who sort of appreciate the time before and inbetween the action. I actually love the build-up before the first fights start on a map.

Me too. And most people overestimate how long drives actually take, it's usually a minute or two unless you're driving across the entire map. Damage to vics would only slow down driving marginally if the damage was slight. Crash into a couple of trees at full speed and it's no big deal, just repair for a few secs back at base. Drive like a spaz through the woods and eventually, it'll croak. I like that the choices will become slower and safer cross country, or faster and riskier on the roads. 

On 20/10/2018 at 3:44 PM, Zeroid said:

As physical materials will affect vehicle speeds, could they also be made to affect vehicle suspension... I'm guessing that's a thing in the real world... and could such a thing be rolled out for both Squad and Post Scriptum. The reason for the request is that off-road suspension seems to make the vehicles too bouncy, as if they don't weigh too much. That said, I don't have too much experience driving logistics trucks off-road so they could currently be quite accurate... but they do seem to hop jump and skip over bumps more than I'd imagine real-world trucks would do so...

Cheers, and much appreciated.

Zeroid o7

Vehicle behaviour is the main thing, and soft off-road ground will absorb some of the energy that currently triggers vehicles to fly when crossing over bumpy terrain. The current suspension system I suspect is fine for on-road use but might not factor in the impact absorbing qualities of ground that is less firm. All I'm after is a greater sense of weight, and gravity, which seems currently lacking. This is very prominent in Post Scriptum, but am not sure how so in Squad, as I'm waiting for v12. ^^

22 hours ago, suds said:

Damage to vehicles from driving collisions would slow the game down a lot...

I should think it would, to a degree, help avoid exploitative driving, and encourage drivers to take realistic routes on all terrains. This would hopefully add to immersion and thus the overall enjoyment of the game.

Edited by Zeroid

The thread should be re-titled, to something about impact absorption qualities of surface materials and their effect on vehicular behaviour, especially at speed...

On 10/24/2018 at 1:34 PM, Guan_Yu007 said:

Why is it a bad thing or unrealistic to not be in the heat of the action instantly?

Realism should always come second to gameplay but in this case gameplay improvement and realism are aligned.

No soldier has ever travelled across a battlefield with the absolute certainty that there will be no enemy, no threat and no difference to yesterday's battle.

Take a bite of that realism. I'll make it a choose your own adventure from here.

1. Argue a different point to ensure you are correct. Typical of many forum responses.

2. Agree with me. Difficult for so many.

3. Ignore this and pretend you have made a valid argument already. I have low expectations.

For gameplay; travelling across a battlefield with the absolute certainty that there will be no enemy, no threat and no difference to yesterday's battle is dull and easily rectified.

I agree about buildup and action but why does the start of every round have to be so dull? Some maps are so slow to get going that I often leave the server and come back once the game is underway. "Please can you drive to this point, I'm going to go wash the dishes..."

Also any squad leader who cant get their squad ready to go and communicate with the others within 90 seconds + driving time really should stick to another role. There is always plenty of time to make a sandwich and take a piss before we even leave base.

2 hours ago, suds said:

Realism should always come second to gameplay but in this case gameplay improvement and realism are aligned.

No soldier has ever travelled across a battlefield with the absolute certainty that there will be no enemy, no threat and no difference to yesterday's battle.

I fully agree here, definitely. Tho that will be very difficult to represent in AAS, seems more like a thing that could easily work for insurgency gameplay-wise. Tho irl these days the main threats are IED's, so maybe the scout class could have a few temporary spawnpoints near roads and stuff? That would definitely increase the tension of driving towards the first objective.

2 hours ago, suds said:

For gameplay; travelling across a battlefield with the absolute certainty that there will be no enemy, no threat and no difference to yesterday's battle is dull and easily rectified.

I agree about buildup and action but why does the start of every round have to be so dull? Some maps are so slow to get going that I often leave the server and come back once the game is underway. "Please can you drive to this point, I'm going to go wash the dishes..."

In my experience the first shots are often fired within 2 minutes, since both teams usually have a squad rushing the central objective.

Which maps are the ones that mainly seem to have dull starts for you?

2 hours ago, suds said:

Also any squad leader who cant get their squad ready to go and communicate with the others within 90 seconds + driving time really should stick to another role. There is always plenty of time to make a sandwich and take a piss before we even leave base.

Good point here. Squadleaders should be the first to be completely ready for the round and have a plan in place with the other SL's on the team. That alone can make a round more fun to play from the start.

2 hours ago, suds said:

Take a bite of that realism. I'll make it a choose your own adventure from here.

1. Argue a different point to ensure you are correct. Typical of many forum responses.

2. Agree with me. Difficult for so many.

3. Ignore this and pretend you have made a valid argument already. I have low expectations

Not sure why this was needed..

1. Everyone has different points, this is why we like to discuss them openly and see if there is a good way to satisfy both sides.

2. I pretty much agree with you on some stuff, it's not difficult at all. But don't forget that some people who also play the game have different views, if you don't want to deal with that, don't discuss yours.

3. Most people have valid arguments depending on what they prefer this game to be like. If you want to be ignored then don't post, this is a discussion thread after all.