Nubski

Game needs more maps ...

V12 will have a new map, aswell as two reworked maps. The play area in Yeho will be much larger, and changed, and Belaya basically got a rework to be a better map for infantry. Falludjah is on it's way eventually, there's a map that was on the workshop once, but was removed soon after made by a guy who turned into a dev i think (not sure). So that's a possible new map for the future.

Now, games like Battlefield usually come with around 7-9 maps, Squad in V12 already has 15, and i'm confident that at least two more are coming. Randomised AAS should also greatly help.

I would be a big fan of new urban maps too tho, Falludjah making it into V13 would be a dream of mine. A few eastern European urban maps would be cool aswell, but probably a massive pain to optimize.. :P

5 hours ago, Nubski said:

urban and city maps, and some weather would be nice too.

How many maps should the final version of the game have?

Squad currently has 14 maps and more to come! As mentioned above, v12 has Tallil and a few revamps/improvements/expansions of old maps. Two maps are currently in the works - Fallujah(Urban map) and Mutaha.

Weather is something that has been tested/experimented with, and is on a few maps, possibly more in the future - For example Belaya and the snow, and the sand storm with the new map Tallil.

2 hours ago, Dubs said:

Squad currently has 14 maps and more to come! As mentioned above, v12 has Tallil and a few revamps/improvements/expansions of old maps. Two maps are currently in the works - Fallujah(Urban map) and Mutaha.

Weather is something that has been tested/experimented with, and is on a few maps, possibly more in the future - For example Belaya and the snow, and the sand storm with the new map Tallil.

Well Talil is coming with a layer on which you will experience weather effects:

Spoiler

On one layer there is a Sandstorm and you cant see more then like 20-30 metres

6 hours ago, Dubs said:

..and a few revamps/improvements/expansions of old maps.

Did I hear that Chora got some love or am I mistaken?

2 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Did I hear that Chora got some love or am I mistaken?

All maps got some love. Every map has the new water & grass shaders. I think a layer or two of Chora had its lighting updated as well, cant remember exactly.

16 minutes ago, Dubs said:

All maps got some love. Every map has the new water & grass shaders. I think a layer or two of Chora had its lighting updated as well, cant remember exactly.

I hope it's more than lighting and shaders. After Kohat Chora is my second favorite map and could really use an expansion in the playable area.

As you all greatly point out, we do have a number of maps so far with more to come in number and improvment. Just want to add that is talk of First Light being deprectated/retired. Which personally sounds good to me.

I agree Chora could use a little revamping, but wont happen in A12.

Stoked for fallujia and mutrah pls add Gary ..ha

Anyway has it been talked about adding doors like in PR ?that can be opened with shotgun that would be cool. 

Edited by ♠DEG♠

Squad already has a decent amount of maps compared to most games, but more maps and choices is always better. It would be awesome if the dev team let fans submit their own maps and then we could vote on good ones, or the team could pick the best submitted mod maps to polish and them to put in the game. Thinking about how COD MW2 had a long life because they opened up modding on maps and kept the game fresh. It could be a community thing.

9 minutes ago, swineninety9 said:

Squad already has a decent amount of maps compared to most games, but more maps and choices is always better. It would be awesome if the dev team let fans submit their own maps and then we could vote on good ones, or the team could pick the best submitted mod maps to polish and them to put in the game. Thinking about how COD MW2 had a long life because they opened up modding on maps and kept the game fresh. It could be a community thing.

This is a good tip. Tripwire Interactive did something quite similar with RO2 and afaik is doing the same with RS2 now. Modders can submit maps in map contests and can win a prize.

16 minutes ago, swineninety9 said:

6 minutes ago, sanf said:

This is a good tip. Tripwire Interactive did something quite similar with RO2 and afaik is doing the same with RS2 now. Modders can submit maps in map contests and can win a prize.

OWI keeps an eye out for certain mods/maps that would offer something to Squad, and are of high quality. If they come across something of high quality that they could envision seeing being apart of the base game, they'll buy the mod/map.

For example, Al Basrah was made by a modder(ChanceBrah, with some help from Assi) and was put into the base game, ChanceBrah also became employed by OWI :D A few other modders like Axton and Zeno were employed too! 

52 minutes ago, Dubs said:

OWI keeps an eye out for certain mods/maps that would offer something to Squad, and are of high quality. If they come across something of high quality that they could envision seeing being apart of the base game, they'll buy the mod/map.

For example, Al Basrah was made by a modder(ChanceBrah, with some help from Assi) and was put into the base game, ChanceBrah also became employed by OWI :D A few other modders like Axton and Zeno were employed too!

So, you're saying French Foreign Forces, Swedish Forces, Finnish Forces and Canadian Forces are confirmed

and helos are gonna come in a lot faster since there are already working assets in the game? ;)

Edited by sanf
forgot some forces...

On 19/10/2018 at 9:41 PM, War Room said:

As you all greatly point out, we do have a number of maps so far with more to come in number and improvment. Just want to add that is talk of First Light being deprectated/retired. Which personally sounds good to me.

hope not... I like that map just needs some love and made bigger.

Randomised AAS will also help keep maps fresher for longer.

I love learning new maps but I also enjoy knowing what I am headed into and the lay of the land ahead. Adding the randomised element decreases the rinse and repeat scenarios we get now.

In my opinion, it not only needs new/more maps, it needs to remove old maps or drastically overhaul them! Reason is a step up to mapping design with Outskirts of Talil and Al-Basrah maps. In my opinion Kohat is also awesome map with few little additions and tweaks.

Hand on the heart maps like Chora or Gorodok are absolute garbage. Map flow + randomly placed assets makes it generic (sterile in a sense) and non inovative. Or snow map Belaya with roads that make no sense. Or the city map Narva where everything is clean and sterile like nobody ever lived there let alone fired a rifle. On top of that you got BAD lighting on some maps with sunsets or sunrises, everything is so damn dark, it just looks BAD.

Outskirts of Talil set a new standard in mapping. If they can't keep that up with other maps they are in trouble. Good job to the guy who grabbed his balls in the developer studio and made Talil map! The mappers are going to need something much more than genericaly placed bushes, trees and buildings.

Edited by Rainmaker

Wut, i love Gorodok and chora.. They should be improved further yeah, but they are far from garbage. Belaya has been overhauled a bit for V12, i agree with all the pointless roads tho, idk why the mapper decided to do that.

Would be amazing, most overplayed map in PR, but damn the memories. It'll require actual water and amphibious vehicles aswell as helicopters to make it into Squad, but that would open up a lot of new types of maps in the future.