Sign in to follow this  
Nubski

I think that the new suppression is really bad for the game

IF the following is true Every bullet that comes within 10 meters of a soldier influences suppression.

then the game will turn into HAB fights rather than fun fighting all over the map.

10 meters = 98.4252 feet and we get suppressed =  aim sway/tunnel vision = #*&%

Edited by Nubski

Could you elaborate on the connection between supression and fighting on HABs? There seem to be a few logical steps missing in between. o.O

Im more interested in how 10 meters  became 984252 feet

Brought to you by the player who thinks the game needs more:

a) Cowbells

b) Claymores

c) Silencers

d) Light

e) Sliders

f) Shift key

g) Moar Weaponz

h) Shovels

Edited by Jevski

"IF the following is true, 10 meters = 98.4252 feet, then the game will turn Every bullet that we get into fun suppression meters and aim sway/tunnel vision =  10 of a soldier influences rather than suppressed HAB fights fighting within. #*&% = comes all over the map."

FIFY

cant have hab fights now anyway.. I currently play that shithole of a game rising storm vietnam.. it has suppression and actually it works pretty well.. although they seem to suppress whether its friendly fire or enemy..guess that makes sense if some **** is shooting over your head...  for me its needed to allow HMG and LMGs to be the tools they are meant to be.. at the moment you would be lucky to get more than a few rounds off before being sniped .. and should stop to some extent the guy that just stands there with no effect of fire whatsover and pick you off, especially when you get the drop on someone shoot them and they are able to just accurately fire back.. hopefully make those trades a little less 5050

Edited by embecmom
why did it allow shithole and star out ****?..t.w.a.t

Suppression is the only thing I'm waiting for in this upcoming update. The firefights should be more interesting and longer-lasting and relied more on suppressing fire rather than one optic picking everyone out while the machine gun is spraying him with bullets.

That's the reason the game turned into a sniping fest and the suppression is strongly needed so that the MGs aren't as useless as they are now. The game is really annoying when the optic riflemen can drop you down in seconds regardless of you pouring bullets on him and him being completely unswayed by it.

Everyone is complaining how you get sniped out of nowhere constantly, the suppression should help in a way to try to balance the firefights and make MGs as well as normal iron-sighted weapon more relevant in terms of the sheer firepower being more significant vs lone sniping.

Edited by Friesen

1 hour ago, Friesen said:

Suppression is the only thing I'm waiting for in this upcoming update. The firefights should be more interesting and longer-lasting and relied more on suppressing fire rather than one optic picking everyone out while the machine gun is spraying him with bullets.

That's the reason the game turned into a sniping fest and the suppression is strongly needed so that the MGs aren't as useless as they are now. The game is really annoying when the optic riflemen can drop you down in seconds regardless of you pouring bullets on him and him being completely unswayed by it.

Everyone is complaining how you get sniped out of nowhere constantly, the suppression should help in a way to try to balance the firefights and make MGs as well as normal iron-sighted weapon more relevant in terms of the sheer firepower being more significant vs lone sniping.

Totaly agree

2 hours ago, embecmom said:

cant have hab fights now anyway.. I currently play that shithole of a game rising storm vietnam.. it has suppression and actually it works pretty well.. although they seem to suppress whether its friendly fire or enemy..guess that makes sense if some **** is shooting over your head...  for me its needed to allow HMG and LMGs to be the tools they are meant to be.. at the moment you would be lucky to get more than a few rounds off before being sniped .. and should stop to some extent the guy that just stands there with no effect of fire whatsover and pick you off, especially when you get the drop on someone shoot them and they are able to just accurately fire back.. hopefully make those trades a little less 5050

In UE3, the Tripwire devs couldn't get suppression to differentiate between friendly fire or enemy, I'm guessing it's not any different in UE4 since we see the same thing in Squad and PS. 

what new suppression? i think it was broken during recent playtest...

8 hours ago, LugNut said:

In UE3, the Tripwire devs couldn't get suppression to differentiate between friendly fire or enemy, I'm guessing it's not any different in UE4 since we see the same thing in Squad and PS. 

There is no friendly fire suppression with the new update, only enemy fire suppresses.

Yep, in v12, friendly gun fire doesn't suppress you. During the test, a lot of people were confused and thought it was a bug - But it wasn't, it's intentional. There was a bug that suppression wasn't working at a certain distance though.

Some key notes about v12 suppression(From OCT round table discussion)

Suppression:

• There is no friendly suppression. So if you were trying to test suppression with your own teammates it wouldn't work. This is intentional. They did playtests and found that you'd get suppressed by friendlies too much even at short or long range just by having bullets coming from behind you over your head. HOWEVER, there was a BUG during the playtest that didn't allow suppression between 25-50 meters. That is a bug and they know about it.
  • One soldier with basic small arms wont have much suppression impact (think 30 round mags of AK/M4) but if many soldiers are doing it it will definitely boost that suppression.
  • LMG and GPMGS are the base tools for suppression outside of large amounts of small arms, and the amount of visual and aimsway effect ramps up as you go to 50 cal or bigger.
  • Every bullet that comes within 10 meters of a soldier influences suppression. You will be suppressed by enemy bullets hitting surfaces near you even if you're 'technically' safe from the bullet penetration. This makes sense so you can't just put down sandbags and only be suppressed by bullets flying by overhead, the ones that hit the sandbags/HESCOs still affect your aimsway/tunnelvision. The suppression is NOT higher if a bullet hits at 1 meter compared to 10 meters right now.
  • Explosions apply camera shake right now, but "ballistics" from vehicles apply suppression. So mortars/GLs/frags don't participate in the suppression mechanics like regular 'bullets' do. They do shake your camera as before though. They're investigating the influence of the explosions causing camera shake vs adding them to cause suppression.
  • V12 playtest was a short stress test so they didn't quite get any metrics on the suppression. Most people were trying to try new weapons/tanks and there weren't enough regular-style playthroughs of matches to get accurate reports on suppression. This was expected for the first playtest.
  • Suppression is disabled under 25 meters so CQB fights in buildings don't get super janky. You can only be suppressed by projectiles originating further than 25 meters out. This means that even if you have someone in CQB clearing a building, you can fire at the same building from further away with a suppressive element to assist them if enemies are near windows or something like that.

Can read more interesting notes here
    https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/9ogkow/october_roundtable_v12_key_points/

so unless guy is getting surpressed outwith 25 metres there can still be the hit in the head not dead spin 360 kill you ....  but does mean fireteams are even more important.

I'd rather have more mechanical flinch to your sight (which there is none in V11) than the visual effects like the blur. The blur does not stop me from returning accurate fire and the flinch is the most essential part of suppression in balancing firefights between optic vs non-optic weapons. Visual effects are useless in trying to make an optic shooter hit the dirt and take cover, the flinch is what's needed.

Edited by Friesen

4 hours ago, Friesen said:

I'd rather have more mechanical flinch to your sight (which there is none in V11) than the visual effects like the blur. The blur does not stop me from returning accurate fire and the flinch is the most essential part of suppression in balancing firefights between optic vs non-optic weapons. Visual effects are useless in trying to make an optic shooter hit the dirt and take cover, the flinch is what's needed.

believe me.. im flinching all over the place, ducking, weaving... its just that doing that in your seat in front of the screen doesnt tend to help ...

9 hours ago, Friesen said:

The flinch is what we're getting in V12. I didn't really get much of a chance to test it during the playtest but if it works as displayed it should work pretty well to stop medium to long range accurate fire.

On 10/18/2018 at 12:32 AM, LugNut said:

It's generally not a case of it not being technically feasible, but the performance hit that would be involved with the following logic (not real logic, just an example of the relative difference) and then figuring out if that's worthwhile:

• For each projectile type object passes that into a "suppression collision sphere", throw "suppress" event on collision sphere's owner

vs 

• For each projectile type object that passes into a "suppression collision sphere", run following logic
    • Get projectile owner's reference
    • Get collision sphere's owner's reference
    • Get each owner's team reference
    • Compare team
      • If teams not equal, throw "suppress" event on collision sphere's owner

If we then want to also add logic for a "minimum suppression distance" it theoretically becomes a bit more complicated (unless the projectile can keep track of its own speed/distance traveled), although the two logics would then both be quite a bit more complicated. 

Anyway, I hope they don't differentiate between friendly fire and enemy fire, but I do hope that there is a minimum suppression activation distance.

Edit: Should have read the roundtable first! ^_^

Edited by Psyrus

On 10/17/2018 at 5:57 AM, Friesen said:

I'm hopeful you've got a chance to play and render your verdict on the suppression. Personally I feel it's right where it should be now.