Sign in to follow this  
HiddenNDangerous

Sniper Gameplay

I understand that the developers are not looking at adding a sniper class. This is something that can be looked at as a very positive perspective because of the toxic game play it can create based on all other FPS shooters. However, I believe by creating a Sniper/Spotter class (one shoots the other has binos/Radio) would be a positive thing if you allowed the resource to bet used sparingly. They are a force multiplier if used appropriately. You would be able to create a system that if 2/3 Full squads have been created, then there can be a request to create 1 Sniper mini squad that allows the Spotter/Shooter to be an action. You would need permission of the leaders of the squads to allow this which would stop the cancerous action of having someone laying in a field by himself in a squad tactical based game. This over watch can be used in a very positive way if done correctly, otherwise the military would not use it themselves.There are many options to balance this out and if this is something we would like to talk about I could gladly share a lot more of my ideas and opinions on this perspective.

Thanks for your time in reading my post.

Cheers,

HnD

With the addition of fire teams this should be a no brainer. You already have the scout class that could pair well with a sniper. Hell we already have a sniper (marksman), just give them a slightly better scope.

Edited by _randombullet

IF played propperly….thats a big IF...

Chances are that in public games the sniper class would be the perfect excuse for people to lonewolf, and snipe people from far until out of ammo or killed...and then done again.

5 hours ago, HiddenNDangerous said:

This over watch can be used in a very positive way if done correctly, otherwise the military would not use it themselves….

Military use it for very specific purposes. In squad it would just be the kit to make you feel like vasily zaitsev and so cool because you got all those kills during the round. 

PR had sniper role. IT was a very balanced kit. Mainly because it was that...a KIT, not a role. so after the sniper died...the kit was out there in the battlefield. NO sniper respawning. So snipers really played it safe if they wanted to be sniper the whole round. And that made it balanced and cool.

In events, PR, the best snipers were mature players who acted more as a forward observr passing on Intel on enemy and directing arty and cas more than sniping people. Current squad gameplay is far from that...maybe...one day.

I would really wish for kits to come back with little more ability to customise the weapons/kits. Sniper roles/kits can become part of Squad if they do proper bullet ballistics.

-1 players lone wolf with the marksman even now so adding a sniper is not a good idea for teamplay

Im starting to change my mine. give 1 to the team with a respawn time of 20mins :)

I've always found it interesting that during the evolution of this game there were always these dire predictions of calamity if "such and such" happened and yet none of it ever came to fruition. Remember the good old "omfg you put a melee weapon in the game and it will ruin it!" Or the narrative that "reducing vehicle costs to next to nothing will just make it into Battlefield"...

That's the feeling I have about having one sniper per team. Inevitably it will happen and it will be woven into the context of being a perk for some particular class and it will be all the rage for about a week and then just like the Marksmen class barely anyone will use it.

That said, 99.9% of people like to play the roles that produce results, are exciting and get into the faces of the opponent not sit on a hillside in a bush plinking. My perspective is just like the dude driving logistics trucks for an hour to make sandbags that get blown up with a single grenade the sniper would just be yet another person off the flag however they might actually have an effect on the match in certain situations.

6 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

I've always found it interesting that during the evolution of this game there were always these dire predictions of calamity if "such and such" happened and yet none of it ever came to fruition. Remember the good old "omfg you put a melee weapon in the game and it will ruin it!" Or the narrative that "reducing vehicle costs to next to nothing will just make it into Battlefield"....

Well in some cases we have PR experience. People who played PR for a long time knew that a melee weapon could never ruin the game...

anyway...

7 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

That's the feeling I have about having one sniper per team. Inevitably it will happen and it will be woven into the context of being a perk for some particular class and it will be all the rage for about a week and then just like the Marksmen class barely anyone will use it.

Marksman is not really used that much because decent squad leaders want to keep the squad together. And many people who take the marksman just want to feel like american sniper and lonewolf. If the go on their own, they get kicked and lose the marksman role. When u do see a marksman doing its job within a squad it Works just fine, its not op, and its not too bad, although many players may prefer other classes.

A small squad for a sniper role like someone suggested is just an excuse for some people to go lonewolfing.

9 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

That said, 99.9% of people like to play the roles that produce results, are exciting and get into the faces of the opponent not sit on a hillside in a bush plinking. My perspective is just like the dude driving logistics trucks for an hour to make sandbags that get blown up with a single grenade the sniper would just be yet another person off the flag however they might actually have an effect on the match in certain situations.

I think you´re right there. I think that at some point there will be a sniper and spotter role (just like PR), and devs will find a way to make it balance. For example one idea could be the added respawn timer to 20 minutes like somebody already suggested.

One more thing. In PR the most useful snipers were really acting as forward observer for arty, mortars and cas. The mature players knew that their role was better passing Intel than engaging the enemy, which they could do under many situations.

35 minutes ago, Nightingale87 said:

One more thing. In PR the most useful snipers were really acting as forward observer for arty, mortars and cas. The mature players knew that their role was better passing Intel than engaging the enemy, which they could do under many situations.

Information was always a crucial keynote, and getting rid of the opponent observer is very helpful. But before they add a sniper we need something like the good old grapple hook to reach the good key positions.

6 hours ago, Smee said:

Im starting to change my mine. give 1 to the team with a respawn time of 20mins :)

This is what would work 100% without adding/creating proper bullet ballistics

People really need to learn to use the search function.

On 31-7-2018 at 8:01 AM, Dubs said:

Sniper roles won't be in Squad. Originally it was a maybe, then it became a small chance, then it became a flat out NO. Things change from kickstarter as original Idea's and plans don't work for a magnitude of different reasons.

Edited by oTec

Gonna go ahead and close this one off. We're not going to be adding snipers to the game, as they are not part of your typical squad. That's why we've chosen to include the designated marksman instead: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_marksman#"Sniper"_vs._"SDM/DM"

We appreciate the feedback and would encourage you to reach out to mod teams in the meantime. =)