Hello. While we wait for the v12 would like to discuss the trail issue.In my opinion mortars in the game are useless.There is an explosion from a mortar at a distance of 10 meters and with my character nothing happens.The same thing happens when you hit from AT in the house .You need to do mortars fired less often but inflicted more damage . I think that the game lacks the mechanics of a concussion.What is your opinion on this matter?I know it's been discussed before but I'd like to bring it up. (sorry for my English)

Edited by Mitya76rus

Mortars are useless in the current version. Probably will stay useless for a long time to come before some of the developers start playing on public populated servers. Atleast 5 rounds a day, to get a CLEAR PICTURE of their games gameplay.

My take/view on mortars: it should be hell on earth when you are being hit by mortars. It should be 200% more effective than it is now. Especially when there is no cover, you are bound to catch some shrapnel from mortars hitting close by.

Agreed on concussion for both the AT and mortars! Great post!

they are useless in public because twats keep building them right next to the friggin hab giving rthe location away!...please no tinnitus sound for concussion if it does happen its just friggin painful

Edited by embecmom

On 10/11/2018 at 1:02 AM, Mitya76rus said:

Hello. While we wait for the v12 would like to discuss the trail issue.In my opinion mortars in the game are useless.There is an explosion from a mortar at a distance of 10 meters and with my character nothing happens.The same thing happens when you hit from AT in the house .You need to do mortars fired less often but inflicted more damage . I think that the game lacks the mechanics of a concussion.What is your opinion on this matter?I know it's been discussed before but I'd like to bring it up. (sorry for my English)

This.

Mortars, except when used by experienced squad with spotter and mortar calculator, are not effective for suppression. This might be by design however.

Personally I would however suggest they are tweaked as follows, and I know I'm suggesting some quite complex ideas. I have no idea how much of this is actually simulated, but having worked in the games industry this is not unusual in some implementations.

- The range under which death occurs should be +25%

- The range under which injury occurs should be doubled (I'm assuming it's linear, so just on the edge you get minimal damage)

- Increase (or introduce) of suppression effect range: double that of injury, also linear fall off

- Suppression should be similar to bullets with addition of audio muting and ringing (not too loud) which persists linearly to distance

- You can use VOIP, but not fully hear responses and this effect wears off over time based on distance from blast

- Random-ness of amount of injury +/- 10% to +/- 0% at maximal distance (if not already)

- Ray trace center of explosion to head,  center-of-mass, legs and arms for cover estimation, with penetration effects based on physmats (this is done for bullets already, not sure on explosions) - this reduces injury rates more than suppressive rates (to simulate that sound/air reflects etc)

- If you are in a desert style building and a mortar lands on the roof, it's probably 80% effective.

- If you are in a concrete bunker, it's probably only 20% effective on a direct hit (you will get some minor injury, and supression)

- If you are inside a building but near a window and a mortar lands nearby, you may recieve more damage than if you were prone.

To balance this a little, particularly to reduce it's OP with experts, add possibly more round deviation based on distance. That would mean experienced squads could still gain roughly the same amount of kills, but would increase any level of users general area suppression ability. Another might be limiting the total number of mortars to 2 per FOB, but also 1 per 10 team members.

Generally these style of changes should also happen with any other fragmentation or explosive effects. Tank rounds landing near you, or standing near RPG firing, etc. Some of this, as I say, is already present, just some bigger explosions need to feel much more dangerous.

Also, while I'm talking about mortars, GL in particular seems to be too ineffective also. Seems to me that V10 nerfed GLs. With GL they could be increased in random deviation based on distance as per mortars, but to mitigate this the effects of stamina/breathing would be more significant on their accuracy - ie. reward controlled usage with more effectiveness. Also, please add 2 proper Smoke cover GL rounds. Oh and tea canteens for the Brits ... yeah I best stop now.

Gun play in Squad is pretty much spot on though. :-)

Edited by Viper3369

On 10/11/2018 at 4:02 AM, Mitya76rus said:

In a recent V12 YT video, you can see a concussion effect when a player is standing next to a tank during fire requiring medical attention. This same effect should be applied to mortar radius and rpg blast radius. That should be sufficient without completely reinventing the wheel. 

Yes.I saw that! For mortar need to do the same . And increase the affected area .

On 13.10.2018 at 12:48 AM, PROTOCOL said:

In a recent V12 YT video, you can see a concussion effect when a player is standing next to a tank during fire requiring medical attention. This same effect should be applied to mortar radius and rpg blast radius. That should be sufficient without completely reinventing the wheel. 

Yes.I saw that! For mortar need to do the same . And increase the affected area .

On 10/12/2018 at 3:20 PM, Viper3369 said:

- Ray trace center of explosion to head,  center-of-mass, legs and arms for cover estimation, with penetration effects based on physmats (this is done for bullets already, not sure on explosions) - this reduces injury rates more than suppressive rates (to simulate that sound/air reflects etc)

Agreed with your points. Explosions in game are not scary, if you know the damage radius, you know you're either safe or not, there's no uncertainty. 

There was an excellent mod in RO2 (UE3), with shrapnel effects, which meant with arty and nades, you'd better hit the deck or you could still die. It completely changed the suppression effectiveness of explosions.

You can hear the shrapnel here: