Jonson32

Low GPU and CPU usage with i7-6700 and gtx 1070

Posted (edited)

After asking my friends about their fps and usage ingame i learned that my PC is not performing well in squad and people with worse computers are getting better performance.

My fps is almost always below 60 fps doesn't matter on what settings i am playing and my GPU and CPU usage is always around 40% so it feels like i should have higher usage and better fps perhaps?

anyway if anyone is able to help in any way i would appreciate it so thanks!

Also got 16GB of ddr4 ram and game is installed on my ssd if it matters

Edited by Jonson32

Squad won't use all the cores efficiently in a multicore CPU. Your i7 has 4 cores + 4 hyperthreaded cores so you 'effectively' have 8 cores. If 3 of those cores are stressed 100% with the other 5 doing next to no work your CPU usage could easily show 40% even though Squad is trying to extract the maximum from your CPU. i.e. don't take overall CPU usage as a measure of how a game is stressing your CPU. Check out the individual core load using something like Afterburner or Task Manager before concluding it's a possible CPU issue.

The GPU is another matter though. It should be processing and delivering frames as quickly as it's fed the data to do so (CPU, RAM & storage are key for that to happen). Your GPU should be at or close to 100% utilization unless you have an imbalanced PC or you have a software/OS/driver issue. i7 6700+16 Gb DDR4+GTX 1070+SSD seems a great combination and you should be getting nice fps at 1080p, certainly above 60 fps.

You might have a hardware issue. Does the PC work in other games etc? Check all your fans are working and free off dust.

You might have a software issue - defunct configuration, drivers, corrupt game files. I personally would start by clearing the games cached user data files (bottom of game setting) and getting Steam to verify the game files. That's the main cause of poor performance.

20 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

Squad won't use all the cores efficiently in a multicore CPU. Your i7 has 4 cores + 4 hyperthreaded cores so you 'effectively' have 8 cores. If 3 of those cores are stressed 100% with the other 5 doing next to no work your CPU usage could easily show 40% even though Squad is trying to extract the maximum from your CPU. i.e. don't take overall CPU usage as a measure of how a game is stressing your CPU. Check out the individual core load using something like Afterburner or Task Manager before concluding it's a possible CPU issue.

The GPU is another matter though. It should be processing and delivering frames as quickly as it's fed the data to do so (CPU, RAM & storage are key for that to happen). Your GPU should be at or close to 100% utilization unless you have an imbalanced PC or you have a software/OS/driver issue. i7 6700+16 Gb DDR4+GTX 1070+SSD seems a great combination and you should be getting nice fps at 1080p, certainly above 60 fps.

You might have a hardware issue. Does the PC work in other games etc? Check all your fans are working and free off dust.

You might have a software issue - defunct configuration, drivers, corrupt game files. I personally would start by clearing the games cached user data files (bottom of game setting) and getting Steam to verify the game files. That's the main cause of poor performance.

Thanks for the answer, i will check individual cores today and see if they are being used.

regarding my GPU, i already sent the PC to the shop i bought it from to check for any hardware issues because i also thought something might be wrong but nothing was found, i just cleaned it and nothing has changed, also reinstalled windows and i already cleared the cache files and verified files and that also didn't help

The weirdest thing is that no matter what settings i play on the performance will be almost the same

I will try doing everything you recommended again and update..

Posted (edited)

XuKjpE2.png 

after resetting the cache and verifying files and everything these are the results i got, the cpu1 usage was around 70% at average and the rest were all lower...

any possible tips from anyone?

Edited by Jonson32

If those are the figures you get playing Squad and other games I believe you have a problem. Your going to have to do some diagnosis.

Check your Bios settings to confirm it's all as is should be. CPU clock speed, ram timings etc. As both cpu and gpu seem understressed it could be a ram issue. Check you have the latest Bios version for your motherboard.

Next I would test your components individually.

Use something like CPU-Z to stress your cpu and see if it's responding correctly on all cores and the clock speeds are ramping up to there max (4ghz for the 6700 I think). CPU-Z should tell you your ram speed and timings but you should also run so diagnostics on it. Windows key + R keyboard shortcut, type mdsched.exe, and click OK to launch the Windows memory tool.

Use something like GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner and test your gpu to make sure it is performing correctly. Clock speeds, temps etc.

If all your hardware is fine I'd move to drivers. Personally I use Driver Booster to help keep most of my PC drivers up to date. I prefer to get my gpu driver direct from Nvidia but the rest I allow DB to source and update for me and don't have any problems. Make sure you change its setting to stop it loading and staying resident though.

Good luck.