Sign in to follow this  
Hooves

World Origin Rebasing

This is by far the most exciting news I've heard about Squad yet!!

This technology should unlock the ability to have REALISTIC fixed wing distances to support the game.  Being able to page in imagery and always be the centroid of the world should be possible now!

The possibilities for this are truly global.  If you had the terrain and imagery, or just used generic imagery, you could theoretically cover as much world as you have hard drive to store data for.  Obviously the game cant deliver 1000 sq KM, but it doesn't need to.  Imagine being able to fly a Fixed wing asset in this game with even semi-realistic altitudes and ranges,  Squad, using this re basing tech could easily put airfields with Fixed wing assets 100Km away.  And one would have to fly it in, hang out, then, when out of weapons, fly back and re arm.  It would go a long way in balancing such an important game changing asset such as an A-10 or F-16  (SU-25 and Mig-29 for the Ruskies).  Its very exciting, and I hope they take full advantage of this feature.

@Hooves I think you are somewhat overestimating what client-side origin rebasing is capable of. The server, which is still the authority for the majority of things, and is in charge of some movement and I assume physics/movement replication, is still bound by FP16 (single point) precision (and a fixed "origin") which means that when you exceed WORLD_MAX (about 20KM from origin I believe) things will start to act funky again. It gets better with the client side origin rebasing because it won't be as noticeable but if you read the thread posted by beginna above, some of the limitations are listed in the later posts. 

Edit: That being said, if I'm wrong and this opens up the chance for >20x20km maps that operate properly (no meaningful loss of precision on physics etc) I would be super happy. 

Edited by Psyrus

1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

@Hooves I think you are somewhat overestimating what client-side origin rebasing is capable of. The server, which is still the authority for the majority of things, and is in charge of some movement and I assume physics/movement replication, is still bound by FP16 (single point) precision (and a fixed "origin") which means that when you exceed WORLD_MAX (about 20KM from origin I believe) things will start to act funky again. It gets better with the client side origin rebasing because it won't be as noticeable but if you read the thread posted by beginna above, some of the limitations are listed in the later posts. 

Edit: That being said, if I'm wrong and this opens up the chance for >20x20km maps that operate properly (no meaningful loss of precision on physics etc) I would be super happy. 

After reading the comments you spoke of, yes it looks as if the 20km limit is still there.  But I am glad they are exploring the limits and ways to stretch them. I can tell others are researching ways to do as I was speaking of and so far it's working rather well, so its all possible. It just depends on if Offworld sees a feasible ROI for the tech.