_randombullet

What is really going on with Squad?

I stand by my comments so far in defence of the current experience - regardless of whether it's considered alpha or beta or gamma... but personally, I would have liked some more maps to have been thrown in alongside updates, because it is a.. hm. relatively... simple way to keep people engaging and excited. Me, anyway. I don't believe everyone has stopped playing, though - perhaps plenty have. But in truth, for what? There isn't something else quite like this on the market and if they have bought it already, that's good for development, and it also means they were not likely to be the longer lasting core community that keeps this sort of game alive and so on anyway.

Considering I purchased Squad on 6/5/2016 for $39.99 and I've now got 3600+ hours into it I'd say so far it has been a real entertainment value from my perspective. In that regard, the only reason I keep playing is that graphically and mechanically its the only game that's close enough to the Delta Force series to keep me interested in PC gaming anyway simply from a nostalgic perspective that most of you wouldn't even understand because most of you weren't around at that time. Ergo, Squad has this laid back sort of homegrown groove that you can pick up and get into that isn't captured by any other company.

That said, for the most part I've enjoyed the evolution of the game though and thought many attributes that were implemented along the way were not only unique but also felt "handcrafted" in some weird fashion. On the other hand though, on the human side of things related to interaction with the "community" its just my personal feeling that things have been handled... shall we say "awkwardly"... All that Reddit, Discord, Clan & Streamer bullshit drama aside I say just finish the game in a reasonable fashion close to what was promised and I think most adult people will be satisfied. Life is too short to get real worked up about transitory nonsense like a video game anyway. Y'all should be more concerned about chasing dollas, fast cars and pussy instead... 

8 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Considering I purchased Squad on 6/5/2016 for $39.99 and I've now got 3600+ hours into it I'd say so far it has been a real entertainment value from my perspective. In that regard, the only reason I keep playing is that graphically and mechanically its the only game that's close enough to the Delta Force series to keep me interested in PC gaming anyway simply from a nostalgic perspective that most of you wouldn't even understand because most of you weren't around at that time. Ergo, Squad has this laid back sort of homegrown groove that you can pick up and get into that isn't captured by any other company.

That said, for the most part I've enjoyed the evolution of the game though and thought many attributes that were implemented along the way were not only unique but also felt "handcrafted" in some weird fashion. On the other hand though, on the human side of things related to interaction with the "community" its just my personal feeling that things have been handled... shall we say "awkwardly"... All that Reddit, Discord, Clan & Streamer bullshit drama aside I say just finish the game in a reasonable fashion close to what was promised and I think most adult people will be satisfied. Life is too short to get real worked up about transitory nonsense like a video game anyway. Y'all should be more concerned about chasing dollas, fast cars and pussy instead... 

I agree with you here i am really loving the game with more then 1,300 hours play time more then i had in bf2 and 3 combined.

The game is unique and i love it i made a bunch of friends in it and all.The game is far better en the bf series and other arcadish type of games out there.

If the games dies well there is nothing we can do now is it i will wait untill another game like this.The money spend on this game of ours is good money spent. 

1 hour ago, Bahrein said:

I agree with you here i am really loving the game with more then 1,300 hours play time more then i had in bf2 and 3 combined.

The game is unique and i love it i made a bunch of friends in it and all.The game is far better en the bf series and other arcadish type of games out there.

If the games dies well there is nothing we can do now is it i will wait untill another game like this.The money spend on this game of ours is good money spent. 

It won't die unless something similair and better is released. As you said, it's unique and even after 650hrs i still come back to it.

Don't think i'll play any other fps game besides Squad in the near future, all the big titles have gone to waste.

@Zylfrax791 and @Bahrein Couldn't agree with you more! Been around since 2015, early adopter, 1,800+ hours. I can say I've got my moneys worth, even as a Squad Leader level backer that spent 2x as much as many. 

OWI - 

10 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

On the other hand though, on the human side of things related to interaction with the "community" its just my personal feeling that things have been handled... shall we say "awkwardly"... All that Reddit, Discord, Clan & Streamer bullshit drama aside I say just finish the game in a reasonable fashion close to what was promised and I think most adult people will be satisfied. Life is too short to get real worked up about transitory nonsense like a video game anyway. Y'all should be more concerned about chasing dollas, fast cars and pussy instead... 

Given, they've already mentioned work on other games and hinting towards moving out of ALPHA... Do you think there is any opportunity for community growth/increased sales upon "FULL GAME RELEASE"?!

It could leave a sour taste, and less opportunity on future title(s) by the dev team. Customer relations is everything, with reasonable transparency. A well thought out roadmap was presented and outlined in the kickstarter, never to be seen or updated again externally. Although, all project management has a project plan and roadmap to prevent "scope creep". While every little detail is not useful for external community/end-user communication, a general summary outline (exact format presented in KickStarter) re: where the project is in relation is a reasonable ask that has only gone unanswered. Hence: the 3wk meme - just wait and trust us approach. 

The (unfinished) game is great, I love it! There are some other things that could be improved to garner future support for this title and any others in the future. My hope is that OWI is successful now and in the future, as we all have the opportunity to learn. Especially, after a first major release. 

Edited by PROTOCOL

I agree with everyone. Squad is one of the games where I have most enjoyable hours. Even if the game died tomorrow I would had my moneys worth. I would be very sad, since I really want to see new maps, new factions, helis and tanks. I dont expect Squad to die for a long time and after we get modding 2.0 I think we can keep playing for 5-10 years.

Squad really ruined many games for me. Tried Blacksails, where you need to work together with other players on a ship and got very fustrated when noone used their mics...

I trust the devs will continue to work and support the game after it's release. I put in tons of hours into Project Reality and Squad with each update gets closer to the devs dreams coming true to having a game as great as PR or probably even better. I believe Squad will be around for a very long time due to it's uniqueness and patience of the devs to put in those details of what makes Squad so great. Once the V.12 and eventually release with all of the assets to make this game complete this game will be a drool fest. Heck it already is! It takes time and patience to make an amazing game and sadly most of us don't have the patience "me being one of them". It's just this game is so unique and amazing that we just want to play it so bad. V.12 is looking to being amazing and I believe the devs when they say it's going to be badarse when it's ready! 

Edited by WarEagle751

21 minutes ago, Nubski said:

And we all paid how much for an alpha game?

Within the paradigm of all early access  games these days you're essentially "renting" or "leasing" Squad anyway. The term "Alpha" or "Beta" became meaningless years ago because the development process was much different back then because eventually you ended up with a physical copy of the game. In addition, most of those games had LAN support so you could still technically play multiplayer once the plug got pulled on the server browser.

All of you need to stop applying this old Alpha/Beta mindset to this new EA process because all you're really paying for is a participation fee for the "experience"...

1 hour ago, Nubski said:

I payed for the full release of Squad early and because of that i got to play the game as it came along during development.

2 hours ago, Nubski said:

More then $120 with donate.

2328 hours + pre-release 400 hours playtime.

On 9/26/2018 at 2:53 PM, _randombullet said:

Ive never seen a game in alpha for as long as this game. Did the devs take money and run? The only updates i see via here and social media are some boring ass mod updates that noone really plays. Where is the development this far in since the kick starter? I want to see Squad make it but its pretty quiet here as of late. The activity and interest in this game is pretty much dying. I know there will be homers that will defend this game just like they do PR but i think i speak for the majority.

I 100% agree. I don't believe it's quite a situation of the devs takin money and running, however I do feel like they've grown quite complacent. I know it's a game and it takes time to develop however the rate at which these content updates are pushing out is just simply way too slow. The Abrams has been highlighted in like the past 6 updates, and we are STILL waiting for it. I played PR since .4 and remember how that game was constantly receiving consistent content updates, and that was on a platform that was EXTREMELY outdated. In a world where asset creation and implementation is so streamlined, there's simply no excuse in my opinion. Hopefully v12 will actually bring some fire back to this game and the changes coming (if they come) will be a game changer. For all this hype about this Abrams, it better be the real deal or it's going to really hurt the OG fan base of squad. Don't even get me started on choppers, I most certainly am not holding my breath on those. 

This same routine they keep pushing of free weekends to keep player count up is just terrible. All it does is degrade the community and creates anarchy within the game itself, and actually pushes the OG players away. All you end up with is a bunch of nubs running around on a game that is way too complex to learn in a weekend, all surrounded by other nubs. Just not a good strategy. I don't think the devs realize how fragile this genre is. If a real developer group like Tripwire and so on, decided to make a modern tactical shooter, this game would be dead in the water at its current pace. I check this site everyday for more news, and will continue to do so...for now. 

On 26-9-2018 at 9:53 PM, _randombullet said:

Ive never seen a game in alpha for as long as this game.

Tbh i'd like you to meet Rust.

13 hours ago, xSEEYAx said:

I don't think the devs realize how fragile this genre is. If a real developer group like Tripwire and so on, decided to make a modern tactical shooter, this game would be dead in the water at its current pace. I check this site everyday for more news, and will continue to do so...for now. 

+1

As I said somewhere else: by the time the game is fully released, there might be some other experienced company which would copy all the good aspects, ADD FLYABLE JETS...and that´s it. 

Or, Arma IV may come out with a more squad oriented game mode and compete directly with it.

Still… I support SQUAD´s devs. I´ve faith in them. 

Edited by Nightingale87

21 hours ago, xSEEYAx said:

This same routine they keep pushing of free weekends to keep player count up is just terrible. All it does is degrade the community and creates anarchy within the game itself, and actually pushes the OG players away.

Squad's frontage to the entire Steam gaming community consists of servers hosted by private individuals. Logically then, the purpose of free weekends is to incentivize the sale of game keys not create ersatz player counts.

However, your second point is valid and was in fact verified when the player peaks of the patch matched the subsequent free weekend player peak by around a 100 +/- deviation.

People  are spoilt now days . Bf2 1.2 to 1.4 was years and that's EA. OWI take longer than  6 months and the world's ended. Think people should have a go at making something for squad then complain after they get to know the difficulties that are involved.

Remember 3 weeks is coming 

On 30/09/2018 at 9:28 AM, Nightingale87 said:

As I said somewhere else: by the time the game is fully released, there might be some other experienced company which would copy all the good aspects, ADD FLYABLE JETS...and that´s it. 

Who would be the more experienced company? the only one that comes to mind with any experience in the genre would be Bohemia Interactive and they do not have a great record with games in alpha. DayZ when announced, the projected initial release date was Nov 2012 :( it went to Beta in 2018. So long in fact that the genre of game is as dead and buried as most player characters where after 5 mins in the hack feast of an early release game.

The customer base for tactical FPS genre is not large enough for AAA to take an interest, they would need to add player customerization, micro transactions no scoping, lone wolfing etc and paid for DLC's to make it viable so we wouldn't be interested in it anyway.

I don't get the need for in game flyable jets. Personally I'm more likely to avoid maps which have them should they come in. This is squad not squadron :) Stick jockeys should try DCS for a good combat flight sim although you'd not get the 'satisfaction' of killing individual squad members time and time again.

I'm not against air power in game as long as is off map SL/commander controlled asset with counter balances. Transport helos, hell yes, I want to see those rag doll bodies burst out of an exploding helos :)

On 28/09/2018 at 1:29 PM, Romby said:

I agree with everyone. Squad is one of the games where I have most enjoyable hours. Even if the game died tomorrow I would had my moneys worth. I would be very sad, since I really want to see new maps, new factions, helis and tanks. I dont expect Squad to die for a long time and after we get modding 2.0 I think we can keep playing for 5-10 years.

+1     1500+ hrs over 3 years all for $30 :) 

Is there really much more work required to get this game to a full release standard? I play the game most nights and there are not many (if any) game breaking occurrences.

If I could have only 1 more change it would be to make the minimum graphic settings higher so that everyone saw the same foliage on screen, if your PC can't render the required detailed foliage you should get a solid block of green / black / brown so you cannot see through it, and not have the advantage of not having any at all. Ok it would look sh!t for you (potato PC) but you'd not have an unfair advantage. 

Full release, will this bring in any new players? do people still wait for a game to go full release before purchasing, after all its only $30, it's not like wasting $60-$90 on a AAA title which will be redundant in exactly 12 months.

I love how the topic got off course in a good direction of giving support for the developers istead of trash talking to them and plot theories.

I personally do not mind waiting for updates longer then to say usual if the updates are working well and help us in game.

Implementing tanks in game is no easy task i am sure better to take thear time with that if it would make tanks better to use drive and stuff.

Posted (edited)

this is just the snowflake generation looking for an update for an updates sake... they are so used to the likes of Fifa125 which is the same game patched every year and an updated database that its accepted as a new game and fork out an ever increasing fee for that..even though they have to wait a year for the update..... Arma got itself so off track that it turned into some friggin survival game and started adding gliders or buggies or some other crap just to keep the kiddies sated with an update, that community completely changed the whole game into a piece of crap.   

Feb we had v 10

March V10.1

Apr V10.2

May V11

+ a modding update

end May V11.1

June v11.2

V12 we are getting a big update it seems... go figure these snowflake monkeys sayingn game abandoned because they have had to wait maybe 4 months ...

PUBG updated every month... so now you can have yellow trousers... and a gold nob... oh and pay to play tournaments... 

Edited by embecmom

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:53 AM, _randombullet said:

Ive never seen a game in alpha for as long as this game. Did the devs take money and run? The only updates i see via here and social media are some boring ass mod updates that noone really plays. Where is the development this far in since the kick starter? I want to see Squad make it but its pretty quiet here as of late. The activity and interest in this game is pretty much dying. I know there will be homers that will defend this game just like they do PR but i think i speak for the majority.

Do you not know of dayz???

All of the above + Squad will get much hype when fully released. I'm sure there will be an ad campaign.