_randombullet

What is really going on with Squad?

Ive never seen a game in alpha for as long as this game. Did the devs take money and run? The only updates i see via here and social media are some boring ass mod updates that noone really plays. Where is the development this far in since the kick starter? I want to see Squad make it but its pretty quiet here as of late. The activity and interest in this game is pretty much dying. I know there will be homers that will defend this game just like they do PR but i think i speak for the majority.

Edited by _randombullet

Why don't you join the Squad Modding Hub and see what is happening with mods?  Might get some inside scoops on what devs are doing too.

He is 100% right, alpha 10 was HYPED like ****, yeah it was cool when it was released but it almost seems as if since they released that they've said NOTHING, post scriptum is dead completely and squad servers get less every day its guttering but they are doing it to themselves, why should we, paying customers, have to make an account and scour modding forums to check where the game we invested in is at? 

Going on holiday to italy for a week? come on, maybe if you released squad fully? what were you celebrating releasing a patch ? come onnnnnnnnnnnnn

41 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

Why don't you join the Squad Modding Hub and see what is happening with mods?  Might get some inside scoops on what devs are doing too.

I just want to play the game like most of the player base. Mods mean nothing to most players. 

3 hours ago, _randombullet said:

i think i speak for the majority.

1 hour ago, _randombullet said:

Mods mean nothing to most players. 

Presuming to speak for others is a great way to invalidate your position. Maybe you are right, but stick to speaking for yourself.

1 hour ago, Compa said:

He is 100% right, alpha 10 was HYPED like ****, yeah it was cool when it was released but it almost seems as if since they released that they've said NOTHING, post scriptum is dead completely and squad servers get less every day its guttering but they are doing it to themselves, why should we, paying customers, have to make an account and scour modding forums to check where the game we invested in is at? 

Going on holiday to italy for a week? come on, maybe if you released squad fully? what were you celebrating releasing a patch ? come onnnnnnnnnnnnn

Alpha 10 was way too hyped and meant that features that were shown in recaps or leaks had to be in V10 even if they turned out to be more difficult to create than predicted which delayed release massively. Since then OWI has decided to only show things that are nearly ready in recaps which results in seeing less teasers. Personally I prefer this method but it's subjective.

The holiday is annual and they've had one for the past three years I think. Nothing is more damaging in development than constant crunch and these breaks are important not only for retaining staff but help mentally refresh and allow problems to be tackled more efficiently.

I agree that an update would be very welcome at this point - really craving new maps etc - but to say the devs have cut and run is absurd, given the position the game already is in from where it was. I've already had far and away value for the money I paid way back when, and I'd even buy as is right now, frankly. Yes, it is still in development, and yes, there are still plenty of things that can be improved, tweaked, added, etc. But try to have a little balance.

[–]motherdear1 Programmer 76 points 1 day ago 

A few other things have also taken place that if we had done without would probably have caused us to be released on time, we decided to trade a longer release window this time with a reduction in the amount of large systems making its way into A13. We have been implementing origin rebasing to completely remove jitter from weapons when you get far away from map root (this is a requirement to move past 4k maps, and to utilize all of the terrain on the 4k maps effectively), and we have been implementing a system that we hope reduces our networking costs when fully enabled paving the way for 100 player server.

[–]SgtRoss_USMC Military Adviser/Game Designer 3 points 6 hours ago 

Yup, got v11 out of the door pretty quick after v10, taking more time this time around, longer than expected, which in turn the community reflects.

There is a lot more going into this release than v11, but this could be communicated a bit better.

5 hours ago, _randombullet said:

I just want to play the game like most of the player base. Mods mean nothing to most players. 

What is it you like to play the most, maps, kits, vehicles?  And what are you wanting in next release so bad?  You like planes?

6 hours ago, Melbo said:

[–]motherdear1 Programmer 76 points 1 day ago 

A few other things have also taken place that if we had done without would probably have caused us to be released on time, we decided to trade a longer release window this time with a reduction in the amount of large systems making its way into A13. We have been implementing origin rebasing to completely remove jitter from weapons when you get far away from map root (this is a requirement to move past 4k maps, and to utilize all of the terrain on the 4k maps effectively), and we have been implementing a system that we hope reduces our networking costs when fully enabled paving the way for 100 player server.

[–]SgtRoss_USMC Military Adviser/Game Designer 3 points 6 hours ago 

Yup, got v11 out of the door pretty quick after v10, taking more time this time around, longer than expected, which in turn the community reflects.

There is a lot more going into this release than v11, but this could be communicated a bit better.

Is there an estimate of when we might see V.12 Playtest? It doesn't have to be exact, but just an estimate like this week or early next month. A'lot of people want to know and have an idea of how long this might be. Not trying to rush...I know a work of art takes time and patience.

Edited by WarEagle751

hey guys, yes A11 is getting a little long in the tooth, hang in there though more news is on the way, and A12 is shaping up to be pretty badass..

trust me the team has been quite productive since A11 launch, _randombullet check out the monthly recaps: June, July, August. and yes September has alot of stuff not covered yet...

1 hour ago, fuzzhead said:

hey guys, yes A11 is getting a little long in the tooth, hang in there though more news is on the way, and A12 is shaping up to be pretty badass..

trust me the team has been quite productive since A11 launch, _randombullet check out the monthly recaps: June, July, August. and yes September has alot of stuff not covered yet...

Thanks for answering, but I would just like to know if we got a matter of days or weeks until at'least a playtest. Personally, a lot of us thought it would of been out July, first week of Sept., or at'least had the playtest this week and V.12 by first week of Oct. Now it seems like it may take longer. I trust and support you guys are working really hard on getting it out and I've been with you since the beginning, but it seems most people are losing there patience.

Edited by WarEagle751

35 minutes ago, WarEagle751 said:

I would just like to know if we got a matter of days or weeks until at'least a playtest. Personally, a lot of us thought it would of been out July, first week of Sept., or at'least had the playtest this week and V.12 by first week of Oct. Now it seems like it may take longer. I trust and support you guys are working really hard on getting it out and I've been with you since the beginning, but it seems most people are losing there patience.

Exactly my feelings.

I understand that giving a precise date is impossible from the Devs, but at least have some indication a little more precise. I am one of those (as many others believe) who almost certainly expected the v12 in September and instead the feeling is what will come in late October - early November.

Just be patient.

I think the answer to that goes beyond squad...and any videogame in general. If you "can´t wait for it" and your impatience becomes frustration or anger, just turn of your computer and go do something else. 

Squad is a game in progress because things have changed a lot in the videogame industry. Think about only 10 years ago: there was no way you could infuelnce the development of a game. The product was finished, released, and you might like it or not, like it more or less. PERIOD. Squad (and some others) have a community of players that are affecting a finished comercial product with their feedback and wishlists.

I felt that part of the devs' efforts went to developing Post Scriptum, which turned out to be a complete failure. I mean really what was the reasoning behind that game anyway, do the devs not play their own game at all? 

I don’t see a problem with the current status of the game. The player base seems to be stable if not growing, and certainly isn’t in decline. To be honest, I’m quite satisfied with the current large updates that come out every several months. At the very least it would be better than having more but smaller updates on a weekly basis. The former is better as it gives players time to adapt to the new features and changes.

3 hours ago, Noobgamer said:

I felt that part of the devs' efforts went to developing Post Scriptum, which turned out to be a complete failure. I mean really what was the reasoning behind that game anyway, do the devs not play their own game at all? 

It was quite decent before release but it only went downhill from there. Sadly i bought it from a 3rd party site or i would have refunded it.

I'll stick to my "Alpha-state" squad, wich is 10x better than a released PS. Atleast Squad gets decent updates unlike that "ticket update" from a while back for PS.

3 hours ago, Noobgamer said:

OWI did not develop Post Scriptum, Periscope games did. OWI done a business deal with Periscope to use Squads framework, which allowed them to turn Post Scriptum from a mod, to a proper standalone game - with full access to everything needed to make PS.

OWI is only the publishing company of Post Scriptum.

I said it before and i am saying it again, the development of this game is going way too slow. I played PR for many years and i am really waiting for the full release of this game but it seems like beta is not happening in many many years from now.

They stated that the game should be at least in beta stage before the next year, tho i'll be honest those statements are kind of difficult to back up, no matter how much i support the game.

The fact remains that most of the players have already derived the enjoyment and hours worth of most other 'complete' games, I'd say. I get the frustrations - definitely are due an update - but to act as if it's an incredily shoddy, unworthy thing is something I don't personally see.

I´ve also been defending this game but seriously 3+ years of development (people already started playing on dec 2015 on steam) and still early access alpha... thats just sad even tho its my favorite game. I know few guys stoped playing this game because of its poor perfomance and all those bugs (revive teleport etc.) and i dont think they will come back because after all this time they just moved on. After 700+ hours i also stoped playing it now for two months already... guess we all move on sometimes

2 minutes ago, cheese said:

I´ve also been defending this game but seriously 3+ years of development (people already started playing on dec 2015 on steam) and still early access alpha... thats just sad even tho its my favorite game. I know few guys stoped playing this game because of its poor perfomance and all those bugs (revive teleport etc.) and i dont think they will come back because after all this time they just moved on. After 700+ hours i also stoped playing it now for two months already... guess we all move on sometimes

Entire clans that helped this game grow via streaming competitive matches have stopped playing. The interest is dying while it seems like the devs interest is dying as well. Hopefully i can come back and eat crow because there is a spot for these games especially for the older generation of fps players, i just dont see the interest sparking back up like it did at its peak. Show us something, something other than mod news to use as social media filler content.

1 hour ago, Markoxx said:

I said it before and i am saying it again, the development of this game is going way too slow. I played PR for many years and i am really waiting for the full release of this game but it seems like beta is not happening in many many years from now.

That's just a silly statement though. Once V12 comes out, whenever that might be but 2018 nonetheless, the list of things to come is getting very, very short for it to be mostly feature complete and be out with a 1.0 / beta optimization phase whatever they'll call it

Post V12 we're expecting Fallujah, Choppers, 100 players aaaaaaand that's about it. Another optimization pass, maybe even comboed with an engine upgrade, which might take a while. But really, big features wise at least we're on the final stretch, there's no going around it. 

A billion and 6 smaller things and a lot of big features to come post 1.0 as well, so for it to be fully complete and devs stop working on it, sure that might be a few years from now, but Beta / 1.0 is getting creepily close. And all things considered, the time they've taken so far has also delivered a lot of shit the Kickstarter for example didn't originally promise or reach, but because the game has done and sold fairly well they've allowed it to feature creep itself into a bigger game, which takes longer to finish. 

Edited by SgtHerhi

I wish they would release small monthly updates, like Ground Branch and INS Sanstorm does

We've had some ridiculous bugs for months now