Power-Pill

Horrific Performance in Squad all of the Sudden

Never had performance problems with your game before. All of the sudden a couple weeks ago performance tanked. Performance is phenomenal elsewhere in every other game I play, including the new Insurgency Sandstorm beta with all settings turned up, Tarkov, etc, blah blah. Using a 4930k running at 4.4ghz, GTX 1080 and 16gb of ram. I have tried all the combinations of all your graphics settings, I have also followed a couple Squad performance guides that were made by people recently, which mostly have to do with tweaking nvidia control panel settings. 

I'm the guy in my gaming group that begs my friends to play squad. They wana play Arma, scum, Scooter Stick, sticky needles, ETC, whatever the hell. I want to play Squad. I've even bought the game for several of them. But then this performance thing....what the heck? I go around asking people in game about their performance and I get mixed responses...none of them insightful. 

I've used this system with this game a long time, always done great. What happened. Absolutely dying to know what is keeping me from enjoying my favorite game right now. Just a tiddy tad bit frustrated by it...you know, this extra problem now. 

What exactly is your performance problem?

Are you running all CPU cores at 4.4?

Do you have Hyper Threading on?

What O/S are you using?

Could the performance problem be the server you play on?

If you are using Windows 7 did you un-park your CPU cores?

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, and an i7-4790k @4.4 all cores with a GTX 1080 ti SC, 32 GB, 1080p, and have no problems running the game.

However lately there has been a lot of players with unusually high latency.

My fps is usually around 120.

Currently I have nVidia driver release 398.82 installed.

6 hours ago, Nubski said:

What exactly is your performance problem?

Are you running all CPU cores at 4.4?

Do you have Hyper Threading on?

What O/S are you using?

Could the performance problem be the server you play on?

If you are using Windows 7 did you un-park your CPU cores?

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, and an i7-4790k @4.4 all cores with a GTX 1080 ti SC, 32 GB, 1080p, and have no problems running the game.

However lately there has been a lot of players with unusually high latency.

My fps is usually around 120.

Currently I have nVidia driver release 398.82 installed.

I used to get 100+ frames, now it hovers between 40-50fps. I am indeed running all cores at 4.4, and it runs very cool, I monitor all my shit. I do have hyper threading on. I am running Windows 10. All servers play like this. I install the newest drivers every time, but this problem has been occurring over the last two nvidia driver releases as well. It's not the nvidia drivers, would be convenient lol, it's some other bullshit. My ping is between 20-80.

Edited by Power-Pill

6 hours ago, Nubski said:

Try going to a previous nvidia driver release.

Could be windows 10.

Okay I tried your specific nvidia driver and it didn't work. 

Just now, Power-Pill said:

Okay I tried your specific nvidia driver and it didn't work. 

Like I said, it's not the drivers. I don't think I've ever had a computer or software problem caused by drivers. That's what people would love for it to be, like i said, it's lazy and convenient. 

Did you install any software a couple of weeks ago? 

Do you have any strange processes running?

Are you using Windows 10? If so there where some updates that affect performance.

Edited by Nubski

I tried clearing the cache, verifying integrity of game, and windows 10 is all up to date. Still getting those bad FPS drops for lengthy periods. 

On 9/26/2018 at 2:23 AM, Nubski said:

Check your system memory to make sure it's all being used.

Why would it ALL need to be used? It uses between 7-9gb of my 16gb of RAM. Sometimes It will be at 12gb, but usually around 9gb. My CPU isn't working very hard, its a beastly CPU. The GPU works as hard as it should be, and is very stable and cool. 

Some other thread mentioned just keeping effects at low, and having v-sync off, but that doesn't quite cut it. I have been turning distance and shadows to Medium, and effects/foliage to low, and then the lowest drops I have are down to 55...which is still REALLY very annoying. I hate screen tearing, and indeed the v-sync may be trying to drop frames down in certain moments if you dip too low, so I have it off, but it looks god awful with that tearing. In the original Insurgency it's not an issue because I get 200+ fps, and at that point the tearing is so minimal and occurs so quickly, but with this, at 65-80 fps, it is jittery and tearing and just...bad. 

It does suck to have to turn down my settings so low and experience such crappy jittery motion with the computer specs that I have. I tried turning down to 1080p and putting 1.25 oversampling on, and I got more performance, but at that point the screen was pretty blurry on my 1440p monitor, and certain things on screen would be tougher to see. 

My hope would be that even someone with similar specs to mine but with a generation older GPU, would still be able to run the game at a constant 60+ fps, on medium settings, or something similar. 

PS: Helicopters.

I would think that the problem has something to do with Windows 10.

However if you have another video card I would install it and see how the game runs.

Forgot to ask what settings you are using in nVidia's control panel?

Did you select 'prefer maximum performance'?

Also what PhysX setting are you using? I gained at least 15 frames by choosing my video card.

Edited by Nubski

4 hours ago, samwiseOrigin said:

@Power-Pill Have you tried to run DDU to do a clean reinstall of your GPU?

Also in response to Nubski's post above this, I did indeed try clean installs of the card I'm using, and separate cards also. I actually have two identical MSI Seahawk GTX 1080's. I don't use SLI right now....nothing is optimized for it anymore...but it's good to have the backup. I've actually been deactivating the second card, because in the past NVIDIA has assigned my PhysX to the second card, even if SLI isn't active, but I catch it, definitely have been making sure PhysX is assigned to my main card. I did indeed try swapping the cards completely, and removing the second card entirely, and done clean installs of the NVIDIA drivers, tried old drivers. Performance is just doo doo. 

On 9/23/2018 at 8:40 PM, Power-Pill said:

4930k running at 4.4ghz

Try to default it, your GPU too and see if the problem persists