Rainmaker

Free look / TrackIR Support

***SLIGHT TANGENT to the "lowering" of weapons*** 

I hate to be the one to reference Arma... but the combat stance function is gold!

For those not familiar it is a function that allows you to have your weapon raised while moving, at the expense of some of your stamina. In combat stance you moved slightly slower but have the advantage of a raised weapon. Keybinding this to a mouse button makes for one of the most fluid methods of transitioning from "low-ready" to "raised" position.

This will bring me to the topic of walking in Squad, since it is really not too far off the standard running speed. I think it would be an interesting idea if the "walk" function was used in conjunction with a combat stance in order to minimize the creation of another keybind. If weapons were set to low-ready as a standard stance, one could use a toggled "walk" keybind to raise their weapon. This can applied to both static and mobile scenarios. If static, simply press the button to raise weapon, press again to lower. If mobile, one could run low-ready, and upon activation of "walk" the player would: Raise weapon, run slightly slower, and use more stamina to move with weapon shouldered. The only affect this should have on ADS is the time it takes to complete the actual raising of your weapon to aim down sights. Whether you are low-ready or raised, ADS will activate, but with faster acquisition if already in raised position, naturally.   

Combining this with Freelook/TrackIR you will have a rather immersed functionality.. Thoughts?

Stances in Arma 3 is something I always liked. Not only for look but some places required a lower stance or higher in other to provide fire support. In squad I've found myself needing a little boost in other to shoot or the other way around. It should be nice to see it happen in squad.

I am new to this game, however I have used Trackir for years. I use it in every game that I can and can only see it being a great feature of any game (this includes freelook, as they do the same thing just with different inputs). My mate bought the trackir and hates it as it make him feel crook when using it. I say do what ever the game dev's allow. Add as many peripheral's support that you can to encourage all types of play.

I don't understand the bagging of each others way of playing, I thought this was squad, add as much versatility as you can to the game.

+1

Don't care about TrackIr but please give us a freelook keybind! I'm a twitchy competitive gamer with high fps and 144hz 1ms strobing (low motion blur) monitor and this would give me a big advantage.

It will raise the skill ceiling and allow good players to have better awareness without compromising movement.

I have to mostly agree with what's on this page. However, we can leave out the majority of Arma's stances, and take a middle ground of just the basis NECESSITY! We HAVE TO HAVE prone rolling left/right and hold/toggle FREELOOK! Please! So far, I think Squad is already a AAA game as is, but this would add so much more to the available maneuvers!

Oh, btw – I made a FreePIE script which can be used to bind Lean to e.g. the TrackIR Roll Axis. Anybody interested?

I have a question about TrackIR in general.

I understand that its 'optimal' implementation allows you to look around by rotating/moving/tilting your head; a very natural thing indeed. The thing that "worries" me though is that when rotating my head left to "look" to the left left, I actually have to adjust my eyes to the right to keep them on the screen. Isn't that... like... really weird? :huh:

Only if you translated head movement 1:1 to in-game head movement, which usually is not the case. People tweak the ratio of physical to virtual movement, e.g. move head left just a bit (beyond dead zone), but have it translated to more movement in the game.

Only if you translated head movement 1:1 to in-game head movement, which usually is not the case. People tweak the ratio of physical to virtual movement, e.g. move head left just a bit (beyond dead zone), but have it translated to more movement in the game.

So compensating for your head movement with your eyes, even if it's less than 1:1, doesn't "feel" weird when gaming?

Not at all imho. It's really a matter of tweaking it to your liking, which isn't hard. A slight move to one side may result in a well tuned, stronger move in game, which will just show you what you want to see in exactly the spot your eyes are at that moment (which may be a little bit off the center, but that doesn't matter). Quick head movements to right and left really improve situational awareness and immersion.

P.S.: plus this certainly depends on the game you're playing, and even the current in-game situation. You'll probably be more focused down ironsights and not looking around that much in CQB firefights e.g. Medium to long distance it's a different thing though. The pace of the game matters also – I'd rather not play Quake with this.

I like the idea. I'd especially like a gradual leaning option by tilting your head, but that may just be wanting too much. :)  Good job on your leaning script. It sounds very useful.

I like the idea. I'd especially like a gradual leaning option by tilting your head, but that may just be wanting too much. :)  Good job on your leaning script. It sounds very useful.

Cheers! Yeah, gradual leaning like in ArmA would be just awesome.

I have track IR with arma and I love it. I only wish ADS snapped to where you were looking. You could look away from your ADS, but if you clicked to aim down the sights it would snap to your current middle of screen.

Thats just the way it works in ArmA. 

I can really only advise you to try TrackIR or some Webcam-based copy ... it's a real great experience,especially when manning helicopters. ;)

Oh, btw – I made a FreePIE script which can be used to bind Lean to e.g. the TrackIR Roll Axis. Anybody interested?

I have track IR, so I'm interested if you know how to make it work with squad.

It can only help players by giving them a sense of spacial awareness, not found in a fixed view eg; fire and move.. you can still put off shots in the direction of fire quick check to see your mate moving up, rinse repeat allowing for some greater squad level play.. being able to check your back and side via head movement can only be a good thing.

+1 on the 6DOF support. Using Freetrack in flight sims is a great immersion tool, no less for a ground game. Bring it on baby! ciao.

It really does add alot of SA. And now that hiding in the bushes will be alot harder with the bushes moving everything you rotate to look around. Track ir and free look are essential to remain stealth.

+1 more for TrackIR support. A bunch of my old BF2 friends are interested in the game, but we moved on to ARMA after Battlefield went...the way it went. After experiencing TrackIR in ARMA, it's the first question any of the guys ask when we look at getting into another squad based game.

This is literally the first text I got back from a friend of mine when I mentioned that I had tried and enjoyed Squad: "Track ir?"

So, yeah. Track IR please!

Edited by BW_Wolverine

+1 for TrackIR support.

But we don't need only proper TrackIR support, we need a proper device support in general and proper controls. When I will fly in Squad I will use these setup:

Logitech Attack 3 to control Throttle, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro to control Roll/Pitch rotation, Logitech MOMO Racing pedals to control Yaw rotation, TrackIR to look around inside plane, but the thing is, all of the inputs from those devices I'm going to transfer to my vJoy through my own control application.

Make a proper multi-device support and proper controls, so we can actually rotate in Yaw, Pitch and Roll axes, as well as tweaking our Throttle and looking around and we would do all of that at the same time. We couldn't do that in any Battlefield games, and pretty much in all other games except maybe IL-2, WarThunder and one or two more other games. Some people even had to write a hack for Battlefield 2 and Project Reality to actually make people able to look around and rotate in yaw, pitch and roll axes at the same time:

Make it possible in Squad by default for all vehicles and for infantry as well!1111!!!!!!111 It would really help real gamers to enjoy the game!

Edited by KulaGGin