Rainmaker

Free look / TrackIR Support

Can anyone name an Unreal Engine game that has full TrackIR support (apart from America's army which uses an older version and is very very limited) ?

I know that VR is possible with Unreal 4, there is a whole sub forum dedicated to.

The TrackIR subject has been discussed on the Tripwire forums in the past, iirc the question came down to the player head camera position or the need for a 2nd for it to work correctly (don't quote me on that).

I have a TrackIR 5 and would support some form of free look implementation (think ArmA), tracked or not.

Thanks...

Boneboys, that's a good question. If somebody can chime in with an example of an Unreal Engine game running Freelook (which will allow for a useful TrackIR) then we can all remain positively optimistic about getting Freelook at some point.

If no example is out there, then I'd worried that the hurdles the SQUAD Dev's have already come up against with Freelook, are the same hurdles that other FPS developers have faced, and failed to overcome...

I hate to be a wet blanket but, Freelook is going to make or break SQUAD for me. Go DEV's!!!! ;)

Track IR would be awesome, but first and foremost would be the use of freelook in general. It will be a major disappointment if that is not added into game functions. I am already starting to feel limited in my situation awareness without it.

Situational awareness is something you must master in squad so I would say freelook and TrackIR is a most for this game.

SgtBoss, a Dev, said that they are interested but confirmed to me a week or so ago via PM on Discord that it's not a priority nor they are looking into it for now since there are other things.

if it still matters i'll add a vote for free look and track ir support. i use mine for arma and DCS and it is invaluable for situational awareness and squad feels limited without it in comparison.

advantages aside (especially for flight) the biggest impact it has imo is on immersion. it is like having another controller on your head and i'm a big fan of extra peripherals - i have a nice joystick, half way decent sound, gaming keyboard and mouse. my logic is that the easier it is to control your actions in game, the less the controls feel like they're 'in the way', suspension of disbelief is easier and immersion goes up. i become more emotionally invested in each life and i enjoy games more. 

I'm all for freelook and having the ability for my character to be able to freely look around every once in a while.

VR, 3D and TrackIR are only a bunch of useless and overly expensive gimmicks.

I'm all for freelook and having the ability for my character to be able to freely look around every once in a while.

VR, 3D and TrackIR are only a bunch of useless and overly expensive gimmicks.

I have trackir and I'll have to disagree.

I have trackir and I'll have to disagree.

I'm with you on this. You have to get it first, if you haven't. I'm pretty sure if you do try it you will love trackir.

...TrackIR are only a bunch of useless and overly expensive gimmicks.

i was skeptical at first before i got mine, i only originally got it for flight games but i used it in arma and dayz and enjoyed it so much i cant play any other fps without missing it now

All I can say is yes, please!!

I've gotten so used to TrackIR from other games that I move my head instinctively whenever I want look around haha.

It would be great to have head tracking support implemented! :))

All I can say is yes, please!!

I've gotten so used to TrackIR from other games that I move my head instinctively whenever I want look around haha.

It would be great to have head tracking support implemented! :))

And now there's a gizmo that tracks your eye movement much like TrackIR tracks your head movement.

http://www.tobii.com/xperience/products/

follow this : TobiieyeX

That product is just a sellout, they've been paying Youtubers to make videos on them...It really isn't a good experience and is extremely disorientating.

That product is just a sellout, they've been paying Youtubers to make videos on them...It really isn't a good experience and is extremely disorientating.

From what I saw on UTube I'd have to agree with you. Every time you glance somewhere (ie instrument panel , ammo count etc.) the entire screen shifts.It might improve over time but right now I love my TrackIR , especially in X-Plane , and had no plans to dump it.

+1

TrackIR is a serious improvement to infantry and vehicle situational awareness for me. Personally, I use TrackIR to slightly lower my weapon and look over my sights for a better view, oh and running in one direction while looking in another to draw enemy fire so I can dial in where they are.

+1

TrackIR is a serious improvement to infantry and vehicle situational awareness for me. Personally, I use TrackIR to slightly lower my weapon and look over my sights for a better view, oh and running in one direction while looking in another to draw enemy fire so I can dial in where they are.

Lower your weapon? How so?

Would be nice to have it at one point. But I think we all can agree that right now other things are more important (Server Stability, Gameplay Mechanics, Bugfixing, Content etc.).