Rainmaker

Free look / TrackIR Support

281 posts in this topic

While freelook would be amazing to have in a game like this, I've come acustomed to not having it in the game. 

It will be amazing, and I hope the devs see that it will be as well, its a new game and this is the time to get in the support.  The good news is the game is moddable this time around but will we have to wait for someone to mod in support?  That is a bad scenario if you ask me.  That, and VR support (even though its not the best experience yet) becasue eventually it will be a great experience and when that happens Squad has a chance to be at a front runner for VR FPS games.

I think it would be annoying. I seen a guy using it in a ww2 plane game and it looked awesome but for a shooter I am not sure I would like it. Now, occulus rift on the hand would be epic..

I think it would be annoying. I seen a guy using it in a ww2 plane game and it looked awesome but for a shooter I am not sure I would like it. Now, occulus rift on the hand would be epic..

So...

You THINK it would be annoying? You saw some guy use one once? So you haven't tried one, and you don't know what games it's in......yes a very good reason to not include it in Squad........jeesh.

Look at ARMA videos, Insurgency videos and hell I beleive WWII online even supports infantry track ir use.

You know what is annoying? Turning your entire body to look left or right, revealing your position to someone looking your direction. It no longer needs to happen. Don't have Track ir? Well free look is what you desire.

Please devs. There is no reason not to have this.

If track IR to be implemented which gives "unfair advantage", then they should also implement optional 3d scope switch for players with expensive graphics card and triple monitor support for players with 3 monitors set up and expensive cards in SLI. 

If track IR to be implemented which gives "unfair advantage", then they should also implement optional 3d scope switch for players with expensive graphics card and triple monitor support for players with 3 monitors set up and expensive cards in SLI. 

How does Freelook in combination with TrackIR give any kind of unfair advantage?  :huh:

How does Freelook in combination with TrackIR give any kind of unfair advantage?  :huh:

More situational awareness than the ones who don't have it, especially its critical in vehicles.

When executed as in ArmA,with a simple Keybind for those not wanting to purchase an additional piece of hardware,i dont see any problems.

Totally ignoring the fact that a completely fine TrackIR substitute can be build using less than 15$ and a bit of your time. ;)

Still,i dont see the issue.
We are not limiting the use of other peripherals,so why should we hinder headtracking devices?

I own TrackIR and use it in flight sim games a lot.

I also play arma and I love freelook there and use it constantly but never with TrackIR. I just don't like it with TrackIR. I always have it bound to keyboard and use freelook with key+mouse. So as I have tested freelook with and without TrackIR in arma I can say it doesn't matter if you don't have TrackIR or similar hardware you get just as much situational awareness from freelook as any player.

I know freelook isn't high priority feature but I really hope it comes soon because it just makes game feel much better.

I can see how many think this shouldn't be implemented because it offers a minor advantage over the people not invested enough to buy the equipment themselves. I do however, find this argument fundamentally flawed since no one here is complaining about some players having higher FPS, FoV, resolution, gamma and lower amount of shadows (and other graphical settings), input lag etc. All of which grants minor advantages.

I can keep on going but I believe I've made my point. If the developers restrict customization of the game down to the lowest common denominator, you're severely restricting the experience the game can offer. I'm all for TrackIR-support as long as it doesn't take an unreasonable amount of time and resources to implement compared to how many will use it.

It really needs to be understood that TrackIR is nothing other than another method of controlling Freelook, but of course we don't have Freelook as of yet.

If TrackIR were implemented today, without Freelook, it would be another method of controlling your players view instead of using the mouse.

I feel like this is not being digested by some of us in this discussion with this talk of "unfair advantages". In my opinion, TrackIR is for the most part gimmicky and offers no real advantage over keyboard controls.

First and foremost we need Freelook, then those of you who want to use TrackIR will hopefully be able to. Without Freelook, TrackIR is, in my opinion, pointless for infantry combat. Vehicles may be another matter.

Give me Freelook or give me death! I better go go out for a smoke and play some Squad now...I have an eye twitch coming on ;)

Love you guys! :)

OR startup Dev here, even if its just a basic camera mounted on the head, that small amount of vr support would be fantastic. Just get xpadder (or have the devs build a nice alternate controller for it) and wow this would be great. 

You guys have mip maps disabled right? I'm not sure how that would affect the visuals up close but would be neat to find out. 

I can see how many think this shouldn't be implemented because it offers a minor advantage over the people not invested enough to buy the equipment themselves. I do however, find this argument fundamentally flawed since no one here is complaining about some players having higher FPS, FoV, resolution, gamma and lower amount of shadows (and other graphical settings), input lag etc. All of which grants minor advantages.

I can keep on going but I believe I've made my point. If the developers restrict customization of the game down to the lowest common denominator, you're severely restricting the experience the game can offer. I'm all for TrackIR-support as long as it doesn't take an unreasonable amount of time and resources to implement compared to how many will use it.

TrackIR is also used in some games, guess what, Project Reality! And the devs already stated that they will look into using it for vehicles only, where you will have the mouse also to look around, so nobody gets a advantage.

ALT tab and the mouse ar enough in reality i can turn my head also.

squad make a lot fun, but with free look a lot more and every buddy have the ALT Tab and the Mouse

so please dev's let it happen we need this shit :) 

Do we have an update on this? Can anyone bring me up to speed? I would love to see TrackIR implemented, like probably a bunch of us.