Rainmaker

Free look / TrackIR Support

trakir has nothing to do with alt key like ARMA.. nothing. I too agree free look would be great and add to realism. Ignore posts by M81ERDL they are usual sarcastic and unhelpful, he sits here all day waiting to give his final opinion on everyone and everything, he is a god among men.. let it be known, he knows everything, he is wise, amen. 

trakir has nothing to do with alt key like ARMA.. nothing. I too agree free look would be great and add to realism. Ignore posts by M81ERDL they are usual sarcastic and unhelpful, he sits here all day waiting to give his final opinion on everyone and everything, he is a god among men.. let it be known, he knows everything, he is wise, amen. 

There was absolutely no need for that. M81ERDL has been very active and helpful around these forums.

And I'm not sure how you can misunderstand what he's saying. To have a proper TrackIR supprt, you need to have a free-look system in-place. Something few FPS games does these days. Very few FPS games support TrackIR and that correlates almost perfectly with the fact that none of them have any sort of free-look implementation. So when you have a key bind implementable free-look feature, you also have a base for TrackIR. When you have a base for TrackIR, you also have the ability to bind a key to free-look. They go hand in hand. 

+10 Please! I love TrackIR and I know it would make SQUAD way more enjoyable for me and all my friends who use it avidly in ARMA. I don't think it takes very long to implement, but I understand it is not a priority. I love PR and know I am going to love SQUAD (just installed :D). This is my favorite dev team by far and will continue to support you (even without TrackIR). THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

+1 for freelook, one of the best features in arma should be brought to squad.  Also, the ability to focus whilst moving would be a great addition aswell.

Would love to have TrackIR support well... along with HOTAS for flying and wheel with FFB for driving. Asking a lot - I know.

Hey Devs can we get any comment on this officially? Even just to know if its being considered yet?

We promise we'll be quiet if it is  :wub:

Right now, at the current development phase, i don't think you can get a any more definite response than what Iron has already said (quote below). Million of people are throwing suggestions/requests at the time, and there are a million things to fix and a million things to add to the game. I'd say, be patient and wait. The devs will do the right thing.

Also, the next question, if they say "yes", will be "when will it come into the game". And the whole cycle of "please confirm, please tell us" repeats itself. And they will not be able/willing (for understandable reasons) to confirm that either.

Irontaxi kindly answered this question today in a twitch stream...

He said they are looking at implementing TrackIR, but maybe for use only in vehicles.

(Although I'm not sure how you could restrict it??)

Will there be a free look like in Arma where you can run around and look behind ect?

And will Track IR 5 be supportet?

I would love to see this in this game, maybe optional so everyone who don´t want it can just turn it off ..

Please use the search funktion, there are already threads about this, it has been confirmed that "free look" will make it into the game at some point. Track IR is not yet confirmed.

I´m sorry :(

Next time I´ll try it with the search funktion.

Hi Geri, don't be sorry mate, you've done nothing wrong just a mistake, as Usgu placed you can see the link to the thread there, it's a hotly contested topic and a lot of people do want to see it in place, if you are finding people to be a bit harsh or brash there's a reason for the report button under their avatar mate and feel free to use it.

Edited by Dale
Thread merged

Free look? Sorry, dudes. I can't say I'm happy with this new.

For real, now: the TrackIR thing doesn't bother me so much, but free look? Like the guy does in this video: 

Third person? REALLY?

Free look? Sorry, dudes. I can't say I'm happy with this new.

For real, now: the TrackIR thing doesn't bother me so much, but free look? Like the guy does in this video:

Third person? REALLY?

Free look does not mean third person; free look is the ability to turn your head without turning your body, like Arma does. TrackIR just maps your head movements to free look instead of requiring use of your mouse/keyboard.

I wasn't actually aware that there were different camera modes available, though it makes sense as I've seen a change camera button in the keybinds, but remember it not doing anything when I tried it. Have these other camera perspectives been removed since this video was taken? That's definitely not something we want enabled for anything other than testing. I would be very, very surprised if it was left in the game, however, I wouldn't worry too much, as I'm sure it's just a leftover from development.

Free-look may introduce a lot of positive aspects into Squad.  Being able to check spacing/headings while moving with a squad.  Being able to keep muzzle on target (say, a door opening) while momentarily checking surroundings...  All these things and more are why, as a wise old milsim vet once said, "Once you go freelook, you can't go back..."  :wub:

Free look does not mean third person; free look is the ability to turn your head without turning your body, like Arma does. TrackIR just maps your head movements to free look instead of requiring use of your mouse/keyboard.

I wasn't actually aware that there were different camera modes available, though it makes sense as I've seen a change camera button in the keybinds, but remember it not doing anything when I tried it. Have these other camera perspectives been removed since this video was taken? That's definitely not something we want enabled for anything other than testing. I would be very, very surprised if it was left in the game, however, I wouldn't worry too much, as I'm sure it's just a leftover from development.

Thank god! Hope you're right. I thought there were gonna be some sort of third person perspective (like in ArmA). I agree it's useful for testing purposes but it doesn't make any sense for the final product. I confess I would be a little disappointed if it would.

I don't really think TrackIR is a big advantage, I can freelook just as well with a keybind. I do it in Arma all the time.

I have trackIR but only use it in vehicles. It's super useful in helicopters because you can look around while still keeping your hands on the controls.

Freelook is a useful tool. Should be added to the game!

Freelook is a must in my opinion. TrackIR or not, it should be implemented. Anyone who doesn't think its necessary simply doesn't need to use it. Its always better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

+1 for Freelook and TrackIR support!

Freelook is a must in my opinion. TrackIR or not, it should be implemented. Anyone who doesn't think its necessary simply doesn't need to use it. Its always better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

+1 for Freelook and TrackIR support!

+1

People can argue all day long that TrackIr will give an unfair advantage perhaps. But free look would be there for everyone. There is nothing worse than not being able to view you surroundings on the move at the minute.

Totally endorse the addition of freelook to SQUAD. A game on maps this size, with this kind of lethality, anything that can help people maintain better situational awareness is good.

I have played the Arma series for years and loved the hell out of freelook in that, even without ever resorting to buying a TrackIR. That said if they put freelook into the game it sort of makes sense to have TrackIR support also. I don't begrudge people using it and I don't feel it gives that much of a gameplay advantage.